New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

While in the Warehouse District today, I noticed a crane with a drill-like device that was drilling into the ground. The area was fenced off and is in the block between Cotton Mill and Woodward. It's not part of the DDay Museum expansion, because that expansion is further down the street, and it is not te Tracage, because it's not the right lot. Any ideas?

It's a new HRI apartment complex called Nine27 Poeyfarre. I'll see if I can find a rendering for it somewhere.

Interesting story in the T-P about the development happening on the Tulane Street corridor. I wonder if the proximity to the parish prison will affect interest in the area, or if the developer's vision of people walking/biking to work downtown will happen. I think it's a great idea, but I don't think I would walk that far until crime gets under control.

Always like to see good news :shades:

N.O. bucks national construction downturn Infrastructure, home renovations drive building permit jump

http://www.neworleanscitybusiness.com/view...cfm?recID=29846

The New Orleans construction industry started strong in 2008 even as building slowed in the rest of the country.

A larger-than-average 426 commercial and residential construction permits worth $101 million total were filed in the New Orleans metropolitan area through Jan. 25, according to the Treen Permit Report.

Building permits are up 3.6 percent from the 411 permits in January 2007, with total spending on up 13.5 percent from last year

New Orleans recovering City Park plans to be world class facility

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/L/LA_...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

"This park will be the symbol of the rebuilding of the Gulf Coast," Landrieu said in announcing an additional $44 million in repairs and improvements to be done at the 1,300 acre park.

The work, which will include things as diverse as a new Ferris wheel, a synthetic playing field for the football stadium, bicycle paths, and the repair and renovation of the golf courses, will be funded by FEMA and other federal money, the state, and private contributions.

Thanks for posting that, Richy! I was very happy to read that bit of news on NOLA CityBusiness once I got back from Washington D.C. There's certainly alot going on in New Orleans and throughout the metro area, especially in Jefferson and Saint Tammany.

Where'd this come from? Apparently this is not another vapid proposal but will break ground in early May.

900 million developement in Slidell. The cost of this is Trump times two. Can't wait to see the renderings.

Info booklet on Summit Fremaux:

http://www.bayerproperties.com/files/Slide...tchbook2008.pdf

Thre is also another proposed development a couple miles to the south (at the Oak Harbor exit) called Lakeshore Louisiana. Not sure if it will ever come to fruition, but they have been doing extensive roadwork to where the "commercial district" would be located.

Wow, that is a HUGE development! :blink: I've been to the Summit outside of Birmingham, and that is a beautiful and, in terms of size and stores, astonishing development. Any development which requires a whole new interchange for the busiest interstate in the country, is going to be something major.

That new interchange is already under construction, and all that sits in front of this massive project's construction is the approval of the site plans by the city of Slidell.

News on the Hyatt, Dominion Tower, and Sewell Automotive building here. Hopefully this Hyatt project will actually happen this time.

Great news about the Hyatt. However, I find the Sewell project very intriguing. The Sewell building is in (or right outside of) the Warehouse District, where so many people now live. I've found it odd that there are so few retail services in the area to support the residents. A grocery, pharmacy, video store, and the like would be great for the part of town. It could transform the area into more of a walking neighborhood (like the Quarter) rather than a neighborhood in which people must use cars to get the necessities. The presence of retail could then spark further housing.

Great news about the Hyatt. However, I find the Sewell project very intriguing. The Sewell building is in (or right outside of) the Warehouse District, where so many people now live. I've found it odd that there are so few retail services in the area to support the residents. A grocery, pharmacy, video store, and the like would be great for the part of town. It could transform the area into more of a walking neighborhood (like the Quarter) rather than a neighborhood in which people must use cars to get the necessities. The presence of retail could then spark further housing.

I can't think of any grocery store closer than the Wal-Mart or Save-a-Center (or Rouse's I guess) on Tchoup, so one in the CBD would be great for the area. The only concern I would have is getting there. If you don't live close enough to walk, you either have to take public transportation or drive, and if you drive, you're going to need a place to park. I wonder if the new grocery store will have parking, or if not, will it be convienent to enough people to stay in business? But, you could say the same about almost any store downtown. I live uptown, and I'd love for it to be convienent for me to go downtown when I need stuff, but I usually go to Jefferson parish because a) they have stores where I can get what I need, and b) it's easier. If there were a few more places in Orleans parish where I could get what I need and get it easily (ie, not have to go shopping down Magazine St. to find a 6-pack of cotton socks), maybe the city would collect more slaes taxes and have a good bit more money to work with. Just a thought.

I can't think of any grocery store closer than the Wal-Mart or Save-a-Center (or Rouse's I guess) on Tchoup, so one in the CBD would be great for the area. The only concern I would have is getting there. If you don't live close enough to walk, you either have to take public transportation or drive, and if you drive, you're going to need a place to park. I wonder if the new grocery store will have parking, or if not, will it be convienent to enough people to stay in business? But, you could say the same about almost any store downtown. I live uptown, and I'd love for it to be convienent for me to go downtown when I need stuff, but I usually go to Jefferson parish because a) they have stores where I can get what I need, and b) it's easier. If there were a few more places in Orleans parish where I could get what I need and get it easily (ie, not have to go shopping down Magazine St. to find a 6-pack of cotton socks), maybe the city would collect more slaes taxes and have a good bit more money to work with. Just a thought.

As a former car dealership, the building has plenty of parking, including inside the building and on the roof. Parking should not be a problem. Also, I wonder whether the old Robert's on Annunciation will ever reopen. With the Saulet reopening, store has an immediate customer base.

Was anyone else extremely happy to read this article in the T-P this morning?

Students came to help, return to learn

Article

APPLY022308.gif

I love the idea of so many new new faces in New Orleans, all of which bring new ideas to the city. This is just fantastic news, IMO. I mean look at Tulane and UNO, nearly twice as many applications as they received last year! :blink:

Among other projects, state grants preliminary approval for 60 million in bonds for 37 story high rise at 930 Poydras.

Hopefully, there will be lots of activity in the CBD this year.

:shades:

The commission also gave approval for bonds for the conversion of 2400 Canal, the former Pan American Building and City Hall Annex. The building is a great example of modernist international style designed by Skidmore Owings and Merrill.