New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

THE GOOD AND THE NOT SO GOOD

The Good News :)

Yes, indeed. The Gibbs tower site is being cleared for construction of the apartment tower, which will be on top of a 9 floor garage.

The Not So Good News <_<

Unfortunately, the project has been scaled back to 24 floors from 38. The height of the building will be about 240 feet, which will make it about the same height as the Amoco Building.

There must be some renderings available if they've started building the thing but I can't find em. Any ideas?

This article was in Citybusiness today about the St. Raymond: http://www.neworleanscitybusiness.com/upto...cfm?recid=16956.

Looks like the project is still going to be built, though some of the condo buyers are getting a little restless. Also, the developers have made some changes to the project. I was wondering about the status of the project after they started leasing out some of the shopping center along Maine Street that they had closed, and they took the big sign down. But, it looks like it's still on for now.

How come there aren't any renderings easily available if the 930 Poydras project got through both the Bond Commission and the City? If the project has been approved then there must be architectural renderings available to the public. Neither the architectural firm nor the construction firm have anything on their websites about this project despite the fact they they have portfolio links. Usually developers like to promote their developments in some way. How did this project get to the construction phase with only minimal publicity?

How come there aren't any renderings easily available if the 930 Poydras project got through both the Bond Commission and the City? If the project has been approved then there must be architectural renderings available to the public. Neither the architectural firm nor the construction firm have anything on their websites about this project despite the fact they they have portfolio links. Usually developers like to promote their developments in some way. How did this project get to the construction phase with only minimal publicity?

I'm good friends with one of the primary developers on this project. The project was delayed because the two families involved in this development wanted to use the lot for the LSU BCS NC game tailgate. I kid you not. And believe me... the delay was worth it. I'm not too familiar with the exact design. However, they certainly were commited to the project. This project is a go for sure. Glad to hear construction has begun.

I don't know why I haven't before, but I'm going to try to figure out what other projects they are bidding on. Specifically, I'd like to find out if they have been retained for site prep on Trump Tower. I'm going out with him tonight and I'll certainly ask.

There's a crane at 930. It appears that pile driving is going to begin. The tower crane should be up shortly after that. NOLA will then have two tower cranes downtown.

Finally found a rendering of it at some random architecture website. At long last, 930 Poydras.

http://www.archleague.org/index-dynamic.php?show=721

neworleans_poydras_cropweb.jpg

I'm having trouble uploading the rendering for nine27 poeyfarre. I have it on my computer but for some reason can't attach it to the post.

Edited by recoverydoc

Finally found a rendering of it at some random architecture website. At long last, 930 Poydras.

http://www.archleague.org/index-dynamic.php?show=721

I'm having trouble uploading the rendering for nine27 poeyfarre. I have it on my computer but for some reason can't attach it to the post.

How did the initial description of the the proposed building at 930 Poydras evolve into the clunker pictured in the rendering. Very disappointing. That location merits a much more impressive building. Here's how it was first introduced.

Although renderings were not released, the project calls for 37 stories, the first eight floors of which will be devoted to 509 parking spaces. A narrower tower would rise from the ninth floor, the roof of which will hold a large pool. Townhouses will cover the broader garage roof.

The 10th floor and 11th floors of the tower are actually a glass-enclosed tenant lounge with some apartments beginning on the 11th floor.

The 10th floor also would have two-story townhouses along the riverside edge.

Beginning at the 11th floor, 27 stories would be built containing nine apartments each. A 38th floor is a roof-party lounge for tenants

If you go by the 930 poydras site there is a building on the back side that sits on O'keefe! Look at the second floor of the building and you will see what looks to be a test sample of the curtain wall for this building! I must say that it will come out pretty neat on the whole!

That's an ugly building. There has to be another renduring coming out that will do that building more justice. This is why I would prefer to see projects scrapped if they can't be done right. There needs to be more height at that location.

If you go by the 930 poydras site there is a building on the back side that sits on O'keefe! Look at the second floor of the building and you will see what looks to be a test sample of the curtain wall for this building! I must say that it will come out pretty neat on the whole!

Yep. I saw that a couple of weeks ago and then it dawned on me that it was likely a sample of the curtain wall. I called Gibbs Construction and am trying to get a rendering.

The ambitious Laketown Master Plan has been released today. As summarized by the Times-Picayune, this ambitious development for the Kenner lakefront includes a tram line, amphitheatre, retail, condominiums, carousel, dog park, nature trail, and more. Cost estimates have not been provided, and the feasibility study for this 20-year plan is incomplete at this time.

Edited by blackcoat

News about a new shopping center on the Northshore: http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2008/05...ng_complex.html.

Sounds like a good project, particularly the Dick's Sporting Goods! I've been to a few of those stores in other places, and it's a fantastic sporting goods store. The Northshore is really growing.

Also, on another note, I'm glad to see some construction downtown with the 930 Poydras project, but I'm also not a fan of the architecture. It just looks like a glass box (if that's glass it's made of). But, to be fair, I'm not a big fan of modern architecture in general. This used to be state of the art modern architecture too.

Edited by djp4lsu

I'm not convinced this can be the final rendering for 930 Poydras. It looks like the right location but it just doesn't look right. It doesn't look 24 floors high for one thing and the site the rendering comes from doesn't specifically say what it is.

Good news about the groundbreaking for the mall on I-12.

I think I'm the only one who loves the new rendering! I'm so relieved its modern

someone metioned that building had a website....i can't find it though anyone have a link?

and are there any rendering of nine27 poeyfarre which from the looks of it is already beginning construction

Edited by nola

There's to be 290 condo units and 435 condotel units in the Trump building according to this article, of which half are to be sold prior to construction. If the 180 commitments are for condos that's well over half, if not, they've got a way to go. We need some clarification. Regardless, it looks like it's going to happen in the not too distant future.

link

:shades: