New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

Citybusiness has an article about the state of the planned skyscrapers in the area. Not exactly optimistic, particularly for right now as the economy isn't so hot. But it includes some sliver lining as well. I don't guess much of this is a surprise to many of us here, but the article gives some updates to some of the planned projects in the area.

I agree with most of the article, but to suggest that the current credit market is not affecting the condo demographic is just plain false. It is very difficult to get financing right now, even for projects that make sense financially. The silver lining here is that commodity prices are falling, so that should mean cheaper construction costs for when some of these projects get going.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can anyone provide an update toward the progress of the 930 Poydras project? I haven't been downtown in a while and am wondering its status. I recently noticed a real estate transfer in the Times-Picayune that 930 Poydras St. (and surrounding addresses) were transferred from 930 Poydras, LLC to the Industrial Development Board. I assume that didn't indicate an end to the project. Site and foundation preparation was well underway last time I was in the area maybe a couple months ago. Just looking for an update.

Can anyone provide an update toward the progress of the 930 Poydras project? I haven't been downtown in a while and am wondering its status. I recently noticed a real estate transfer in the Times-Picayune that 930 Poydras St. (and surrounding addresses) were transferred from 930 Poydras, LLC to the Industrial Development Board. I assume that didn't indicate an end to the project. Site and foundation preparation was well underway last time I was in the area maybe a couple months ago. Just looking for an update.

The building is starting to go up...there is a large crane onsite now.

Yep, there's a tall yellow crane. Saw it on the way to the Saints game on Monday night. Looks like they are going to start putting up steel soon. I don't know about a transfer though, but it doesn't seem to have interrupted construction.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just saw that Victory Real estate, the Georgia firm, is moving ahead with plans to develop a massive retail center in the heart of Mid City. They even have it posted on their website. I prayed that the present economy and their selling of the Rouses store were signs that this project fizzled.

This project is not meant for this part of Mid City. The street network alone cant handle the current traffic levels. But it ruins the whole fabric of the area. I personally feel that the Lindy Boggs site should be developed into a center for arts and cultural education like the Odgen Museum or Studio at Coltun Project. This would definitely work well now that the site sits in a state designated cultural arts district. Meanwhile, on the other side of Carrollton, the abandoned strip mall needs to be renovated and the old Ford dealership needs to be redeveloped.

I'm holding out hope that this project fails just like the other proposed Post-K developments. I would be more comfortable with this if it were by Tulane. That the more economical site. Future Bio-med corridor and several housing developments under construction.

Mid City is exactly the best area for this type of development...as long as it's done tastefully. I'm not sure what Victory has in mind, but a development like Mockingbird Station in Dallas would be a great fit. That area of Carrollton is not exactly brimming with character. Under the philosophy that the city's infrastructure can't handle large developments, the only part of the city proper that would be appropriate would be New Orleans East.

I just saw that Victory Real estate, the Georgia firm, is moving ahead with plans to develop a massive retail center in the heart of Mid City. They even have it posted on their website. I prayed that the present economy and their selling of the Rouses store were signs that this project fizzled.

This project is not meant for this part of Mid City. The street network alone cant handle the current traffic levels. But it ruins the whole fabric of the area. I personally feel that the Lindy Boggs site should be developed into a center for arts and cultural education like the Odgen Museum or Studio at Coltun Project. This would definitely work well now that the site sits in a state designated cultural arts district. Meanwhile, on the other side of Carrollton, the abandoned strip mall needs to be renovated and the old Ford dealership needs to be redeveloped.

I'm holding out hope that this project fails just like the other proposed Post-K developments. I would be more comfortable with this if it were by Tulane. That the more economical site. Future Bio-med corridor and several housing developments under construction.

Where did you find out that Victory is moving ahead with its Mid-City development? The website, although redisigned since last time I visited it, doesn't have any more recent information on Carrollton/Mid-City since it postponed proceeding with the development months ago. The whole issue is what kind of development it will be, and Victory has never put forth much relevant information since the neighborhood discovered their intentions. They didn't even follow through with demolishing Lindy Boggs and, last I heard, couldn't make a deal for a couple of the shopping centers...so they remain vacant. Is there new information out there?

I would rather see the old Carrollton Shopping Center owners proceed with the project they spoke of earlier this year. With some reworking of the street grid...it is a fantastic site for traditional big box development. Right now it is just empty concrete slabs, and a couple of run down strip centers that have yet to be torn down.

Whether it's the Victory project or Carrollton Shopping center, or anywhere else nearby, I'm just ready for places to get what you need that are actually in the City. I am tired of driving to Jefferson parish to buy stuff. Hopefully at least one of these projects will actually be built soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Jazz museum planned for New Orleans

A $4 million project is planned that will transform the third floor of the Old U.S. Mint in the French Quarter into a multimillion-dollar jazz museum and performance space.

Construction is scheduled to begin in August, with the opening slated for spring 2010.

http://www.businessreport.com/news/2009/ja...-orleans-edvl1/

I just found out about a project called L.A. Live in Los Angeles, across from the Staples Center. It will have several restaurants, a museum, theater, hotel and condos, and an ESPN Zone. I wonder if something like this is what the state has in mind for the old New Orleans Centre and Dominion Tower. This is, of course, assuming the project ever actually happens...

• 3 weeks later...