New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

Great illustration Nate. Uptown (Trump Tower) fits pefectly between One Shell Square and Plaza Tower.

I think sunset is the best time to take skyline pics. With the city lights blended with the natural light.

Yea, the view from Uptown will be great as you will have 3 towers over 650 feet in a row, along with other high-rises and the low and mid-rise density. :thumbsup:

Hello Everyone,

I too want to know what the 37 story condo going up in the warehouse district is all about. First, the newspaper has the address mixed up, because commerce street is not a possibility given the other streets the building is suggested to be located on. Im thinking that if this building is real it is probbaly located by the Vantage Tower, it cant be that one because it is 25 stories. So this must be a totally new project. Also, does anyone know what is going on with that project located on Rampart. I think it would be a great project to see go through over there. Im hoping that project combined with the bio tech center, medical district, new charity hospital, canal street improvements, and hopefully a complete reuse of Iberville will really transform that section of downtown and storyville. ALso I hear that Hard Rock hotel has purchased a square block of property located on tchoupitoulas by the Wal Mart. I dont know postively if they bought it, but the real estate transfers show the whole block was bought by someone for several million dollars. Also Home Depot bought a whole block right across from the superdome by the Claiborne and Earheart intersection. I know it isnt a high rise, but it will help to clean up and put some empty land to use for something.

Cheers,

Derek

I know this doesn't anser much of your question, but just to give you some quick info, Vantage Tower has been approved, and that project talked about in the paper is something completely different. Also, according to Emporis.com, the Woolworth Tower, which is the project over on Rampart, has also been approved.

I was hoping someone else knew about the large condo tower discussed in the TP, because until then, I hadn't heard anything about it, and I haven't heard anything since. I don't think it's been officially "proposed" yet, so it's considered more of a plan.

Also, it's nice to have you here on UrbanPlanet, Derek!

Thanks for welcoming me. I am going to do my best to try and dig up some information on that 37 story proposal. ALso dont forget the article mentioned a 14 story hotel being built. Also, The Harrah's hotel is scheduled to open in September. Then they will begin the Fulton Street project. Should be a neat addition to the New Orleans nightlife scene. The Erato street cruise Terminal will also open in Spetember. I think the cruise industry is something that New Orleans should aggressively pursue. i dont see why we cant eventually be numebr 1 here. Miami is nice but i just dont think it offers a two destination experience the way New Orleans does, besides New Orleans is more centrally located to those that want to drive. I laso read a while back that someone is building two 30 something story towers in Metairie by Oschner Hospital for some type of senior assited living deal. I cant remember exactly.

Also dont forget the article mentioned a 14 story hotel being built.

Really? I guess I missed it. Do you know where and when the hotel would be built? And I agree with you about the Cruise Industry, it is definately something that the city should continue to actively pursue. New Orleans is one of the best cities in the world for it. Also, I hadn't heard about the towers in Metairie, that would really imrpove Metairie's skyline! :thumbsup:

I doubt every project mentioned will get built but with the GOzone legislation thing s are going crazy. That 14 story building looks to be built some where by the Harrahs hotel. Seeing the Times had some addresses wrong before I dont know exactly. However, a tip to find locations is to go to go Google Maps. Type in the address. The Google system will show a map of the area, as well as a satellite pick. I have been using that when trying to track down what is being bought in the Orleans Real estate transfers. I didnt see anythign significant in there this week. Hope that helps you out. By the way what part of town do you live in. I actually live in the warehouse district right above Emerils. Cheers.

Just for a non-imformative update, I found that condo tower that was talked about in the TP on Emporis. Link It's not very imformative, but the project has been added nonetheless.

BTW, I'm out in Covington right now, but I'm planning on finding a place to live in the city within the next 10 months or so. :D

Where do you think we can get more information on the project? Also there was a really neat rendering of the Erato Street Wharf but now I cant seem to find it. Its a really large project that will surprise you by how large it looks. 1,300 parking spaces. ALso you might even want to add that huge 100-150 million dollar movie studio someone wants to build in Mid City. Cheers.

Also there was a really neat rendering of the Erato Street Wharf but now I cant seem to find it. Its a really large project that will surprise you by how large it looks. 1,300 parking spaces.

Ahh, I could've sworn I had posted the rendering for the Erato Street Cruise Terminal at least twice already. I just seem to be losing where I posted them. Anyway, here is one of the renderings for it:

newcruise.jpg

BTW, do you know where I can find some info on that movie studio in Mid City?

1201 Canal Condominiums

building.jpg

1201 Canal Street was the home of the Krauss Department Store for 94 years. First opened on April 13, 1903, Krauss was once known as "one of the most unique and successful stores in the nation. Located on the widest "Avenue of the Americas" the Krauss building is full of history. Currently, this building which was the largest and most utilized store in New Orleans is undergoing extensive renovations as it is transformed to the upscale 1201 Canal Condominiums community.

Kailas Tower

Now under renovation in the stately former First NBC Building ,the Kailas Tower World Class Condominiums are located at 210 Baronne in the heart of downtown New Orleans. Scheduled completion Fall 2006. Prices range from 275K to 790K.

http://www.kailastower.com/

First NBC Bank opens in familiar CBD setting

http://www.neworleanscitybusiness.com/UpTo....cfm?recID=4272

JWR, in the future, please post articles in the above format, or any other format that complies with the UrbanPlanet rules. Thanks!

Edited by NCB

^JWR, thanks for posting that. After I checked up on the location and design of the tower, I had the wrong bank building. The Kailas Tower will be under renovation in the National American Bank Building, not the First NBC Bank Building.

^JWR, thanks for posting that. After I checked up on the location and design of the tower, I had the wrong bank building. The Kailas Tower will be under renovation in the National American Bank Building, not the First NBC Bank Building.

Now I am confused. Here is the link to the TP outlining the proposed 200 Carondelet Street apartment project in the former National American Bank Building. I read earlier that the upscale Kailas Tower condominium project is now underway in the former First NBC Building. HELP!!!!

Anyway it is great to see so much activity in the CBD.

With the severe shortage of available housing, developers are "lining up" to renovate historical structures to provide for the high demand. This particular building once housed bank offices. It is the second announced project in the financial district in the past month.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another New Orleans CBD building to go residential

http://www.nola.com/business/t-p/index.ssf...80369213580.xml

^fla_tiger, in the future, please post articles in the above format. Thanks!

Edited by fla_tiger

I too have no idea where the National Bank Building. It is not the same thing as the Kailas tower. I actually went and toured the Kailas Twoer the day before Katrina hit. Still, If anyone knows what the actual building the National American Bank Building is id appreciate it. I checked Emporis and could find it nowhere.

Cheers,

Derek

Well, I was bored today, and decided to try something I'd never really put much thought into. Taking a picture of the New Orleans skyline, opening in paint, and putting in a tall box about the size and around the location of Trump Tower, and seeing what it does to the skyline. It's nothing fancy, as it's just a black and white box representing the tower, but you can see what another major tower could to the skyline. Anyway, here are the pictures:

The New Orleans skyline with a 700 foot tall Trump Tower, which is the height according to Emporis. Though considering that most luxury condo towers have ceiling heights of 10-12 feet, with space between floors for congrete and plumbing, and the hotel and retail sections of the tower, I think it will be taller than that.

NewOrleansSkylinewithTrumpTower.jpg

The New Orleans skyline with a 750-800+ foot tall Trump Tower, which I think the actual height will be closer too.

NewOrleansSkylinewithtallTrumpTower.jpg

And here is New Orleans with a Los Angeles/New York City twist! Hey, a guy can dream can't he!? :P

NewOrleansSkylinewitheverything.jpg

Also, the location of the tower I believe would be a bit more to the left and behind One Shell Square from that angle, but it's in the vicinity in that picture.

I'm also planning on editing some pictures showing the skyline from different angles, and putting Trump Tower, along with some of the other towers coming to the city, into the skyline.:thumbsup:

Guess I haven't been keeping up over here like I should. Great conceptual images, Nate. I like the last one, and to be honest I think it would be awesome to see some taller buildings in downtown New Orleans. I've always been surprised at the lack of height downtown overall, but impressed with the density. I like the skyline, but more height would propel it to a completely different level and would most definitely put it in the top 10 nationally.

Guess I haven't been keeping up over here like I should. Great conceptual images, Nate. I like the last one, and to be honest I think it would be awesome to see some taller buildings in downtown New Orleans. I've always been surprised at the lack of height downtown overall, but impressed with the density. I like the skyline, but more height would propel it to a completely different level and would most definitely put it in the top 10 nationally.

Thanks! And I agree about the height in the skyline. The density is great and I really like having so many low and mid-rise buildings in downtown, but more height certainly wouldn't hurt the skyline! :D

Though I would honestly rather have a skyline with decent height and alot of density, like New Orleans', than a skyline that has similar height, with no where near as much density, like Tampa.

tampa.jpg

^I like Tampa's skyline, and I really like the city, but I've always liked density in the skyline more than height alone.

Great topic Nate and Brian. Do you think it's harder to build "super-tall" in New Orleans because of the water content below the ground ? The shafts have to be dug so deep down, could that cause a problem ?

What do yall consider high-rise, mid-rise, etc ? I know there are many different scales to go by. Emporis considers anything 12-stories and above "high rise". And mid rise 6 to 11 stories. The SkyscraperPage only acknowledges bldgs. over 300 feet tall. Others tend to consider skyscrapers over 150 meters; is that nearly 500 feet ?

IMO a nice"true" high-rise is something you can see from a distance about 5 or 6 miles away. In BR at the overpass on Airline Hwy. above Florida Blvd (about that distance)there is a wide-open view you can glance to the West toward downtown and see 4 towers easily. The others(mid-rise) up to 13-stories are hard to see above the tree-line. That number will nearly DOUBLE soon. I look forward to the day I glance over and see 7 high-rises, instead of the 4.

I agree with you completly about Tampa's skyline.

Edited by richyb83

Great topic Nate and Brian. Do you think it's harder to build "super-tall" in New Orleans because of the water content below the ground ? The shafts have to be dug so deep down, could that cause a problem ?

What do yall consider high-rise, mid-rise, etc. I know there are many different scales to go by. Emporis considers anything 12-stories and above "high rise". And mid rise 6 to 11 stories. The SkyscraperPage only acknowledges bldgs. over 300 feet tall. Others tend to consider skyscrapers over 150 meters; is that nearly 500 feet ?

The soil and foundation in New Orleans could be a factor, but I think the main reason is the demand just wasn't there. New Orleans saw its biggest office tower boom in the 70's, and its biggest hotel tower boom in the 80's, and since then, there hasn't really been a demand for anything. The recent high rise projects sweeping the city are the most projects to come into the city in nearly 20 years.

And in major cities, for the most part I consider a low rise to be anything 5 story's or bellow, a mid rise from 6-11 or 12 storys, and anything above 13 story's or so a high rise. 150 meters is nearly 500 feet tall, I would never consider something that's 490 feet tall a mid-rise, but that's just me.

I too have no idea where the National Bank Building. It is not the same thing as the Kailas tower. I actually went and toured the Kailas Twoer the day before Katrina hit. Still, If anyone knows what the actual building the National American Bank Building is id appreciate it. I checked Emporis and could find it nowhere.

Cheers,

Derek

I've been trying to find the right building, but I'm still not sure. I've been looking through Emporis, but that really hasn't helped much. I'll let you know if I'm able to find the building.