New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

It appears that 930 Poydras has topped out. Air conditioning units are being placed on the roof, and there's no more re-bar to suggest that they'll be building up anymore. In driving on the Pontchartrain Expressway from the CCC to Carrollton, I noticed that the building has a mild impact on the skyline. It does fill a gap between the Energy Centre and First Bank & Trust. As for the latter, I noticed that the flood lighting is working again. The building's been dark at night for months.

• 3 weeks later...

Some quick updates:

Saenger theatre renovation is a go and they are giving tours today. Marquee is back on!

A Mano opened in the warehouse district. Le Foret and Domenica opened downtown. The Guerlain Spa should be open by thanksgiving.

ALso new restaurant opening in Warehouse District by the howlin Wolf. And in my condo building next to Emerils a 4400 sqft wine bar/coffee shop will open by December. Also, in SPanish Plaza a new sports bar is opening in an old Fat Tuesdays Daquiris Shop. The old Bella Luna space on the river near French Market is now a Spanish Tapas restaurant called Galvez. Jon Besh has another new restaurant called The American Sector opening up at the DDAY Museum. Supposed to be a modern interpretation of a War Time Diner. Thats all the updates I have at the moment.

• 4 months later...

930 Poydras turned out to be much nicer than I thought it would be.

As for the BioInovation Center, what's up with that? They were driving test pilings a few months ago, but now nothing. The Tulane/LSU Cancer Center is going up nicely, though.

As for the Saenger, it is nice that the marquee is turned on, although only one side of it blinks as it was designed. However, it does not appear that anything else is going on. If significant construction was happening, you'd think that the area around the building would be cordoned off to allow for construction contractor trucks, etc. This project MUST happen. The Loews State Palace and Orpheum could be spurred back by a success with the Saenger.

It seems like the only development going on besides single/multi-residential housing is road paving, which is much needed. I'm glad that Earhart is finally being finished and that Carrollton and St. Charles are also progressing. That being said, what about smaller residential streets? Whatever happened to paving assessments, when the city would assess each piece of property a fee to repave the street? I'd chip in to have my block repaved!

930 Poydras turned out to be much nicer than I thought it would be.

As for the BioInovation Center, what's up with that? They were driving test pilings a few months ago, but now nothing. The Tulane/LSU Cancer Center is going up nicely, though.

I actually saw a crane on the BioInnovation site the other day lifting beams. The Cancer Center is coming along well. For some reason I didn't expect it to be as tall.

• 4 months later...

Renovations begin on Hyatt Regency New Orleans

Renovation began today on the Hyatt Regency New Orleans, a hotel that became a familiar symbol of Hurricane Katrina's destruction when shattered glass poured onto streets and furniture was sucked out of broken windows. The $275 million project is aimed at reopening the hotel in the fall of 2011, when the once-storm-mauled area around the Louisiana Superdome will be fully restored. The 31-story hotel, which has been closed since the 2005 storm, was purchased in 2007 by Poydras Properties Hotel Holdings for $32 million. Poydras includes a subsidiary of Chicago-based Hyatt Hotels Corp. All 1,193 rooms will be renovated, along with 53 suites. A redesign calls for 200,000 square feet of meeting and exhibition space, two restaurants, two bars and a coffee bar. Mayor Mitch Landrieu called the Hyatt the "last of the iconic places in downtown New Orleans that carried a different image a few years ago." New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson has purchased and is renovating another property near the Superdome: the former Dominion Tower, a 36-story office building also heavily damaged by Katrina. The state of Louisiana will lease office space in the building, which is now known as Benson Tower. State agencies are expected to move in by mid-December. If the hotel opens on time, it will be available for the BCS Championship Game on Jan. 9, 2012, and college basketball's men's Final Four in March 2012, both at the Superdome. The 2013 Super Bowl will also be played at the Superdome.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

From last week...Interesting...Tulane to get a new on-campus stadium...liven things up after playing in a nearly empty dome...

New stadium to be completed by 2014

Previous Next

4ee1909536a5e.preview-300.jpg

Stadium from Reily

4ee19065bf122.preview-300.jpg

Stadium Box

4ee190153416a.preview-300.jpg

Nicole Harvey

Announcement 6

4ee191588868e.preview-300.jpg

Stadium Plaza View

4ee1913bddf3a.preview-300.jpg

Stadium Club

4ee19112aa2a0.preview-300.jpg

Home Field Advantage

4ee190ed42190.preview-300.jpg

Stadium Field View from Crowd

4ee1917f82e2c.preview-300.jpg

Stadium Aerial

4ee1909536a5e.preview-300.jpg4ee19065bf122.preview-300.jpg4ee190153416a.preview-300.jpg4ee191588868e.preview-300.jpg4ee1913bddf3a.preview-300.jpg4ee19112aa2a0.preview-300.jpg4ee190ed42190.preview-300.jpg4ee1917f82e2c.preview-300.jpg

Posted: Friday, December 9, 2011 8:27 am {sodEmoji.|} Updated: 8:56 am, Fri Dec 9, 2011.

New stadium to be completed by 2014 John Scimenca The Tulane Hullabaloo {sodEmoji.|} 0 comments

Tulane President Scott Cowen, the Board of Trustees and the Athletic Department officially unveiled plans for an on-campus stadium Thursday, ending more than a year of rumors and speculation. The 30,000-seat, $60 million project is scheduled to be completed by fall 2014. The proposed stadium will be located on Ben Wiener Drive between the Reily Center and the Wilson Center.

http://www.thehullabaloo.com/sports/article_0e4631f8-2272-11e1-b6fc-001a4bcf6878.html

• 3 weeks later...

New toothpaste derived from cocoa extract heralds sweet potential for N.O.

Is chocolate good for your teeth? Probably not, but a certain extract of cocoa might be.

A team of university researchers in Louisiana made the discovery and used their findings to develop a new toothpaste that hits retail shelves around the country this week.

The toothpaste -- called Theodent -- contains no fluoride and relies instead on a proprietary blend of cocoa extract and other minerals to strengthen and harden tooth enamel. Developers say the toothpaste offers an alternative to consumers who worry about consuming fluoride, which has been associated with a number of health conditions, including thyroid disorders and bone disease.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/2012/01/new_toothpaste_derived_from_co.html

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Visitors to Crescent City have exciting options available for accommodations

There’s a definite buzz in New Orleans these days. New hotels are springing up, old properties are receiving valuable facelifts and established landmarks are renovating and adding new features.

http://theadvocate.com/utility/homepagestories/3984636-129/new-rooms-in-new-orleans

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

A Civil District Court judge upheld the city’s code enforcement action against the Lake Terrace Shopping Center, a Gentilly strip mall that has sat gutted since Hurricane Katrina.

The decision clears the way for the city to take its own action, which could include anything from expropriation to foreclosure or even demolition.

DMK Acquisitions and Properties LLC bought the property, located at Robert E. Lee Boulevard and Paris Avenue, in April 2007 for $1.3 million, according to assessor’s office records. Since the transaction, the strip mall has remained static, prompting the city to declare in June that the property owner is guilty of blight and public nuisance

*rest of article

http://theadvocate.com/news/neworleans/4866240-148/ruling-allows-city-tomove-on

• 2 months later...

A Civil District Court judge upheld the city’s code enforcement action against the Lake Terrace Shopping Center, a Gentilly strip mall that has sat gutted since Hurricane Katrina.

The decision clears the way for the city to take its own action, which could include anything from expropriation to foreclosure or even demolition.

DMK Acquisitions and Properties LLC bought the property, located at Robert E. Lee Boulevard and Paris Avenue, in April 2007 for $1.3 million, according to assessor’s office records. Since the transaction, the strip mall has remained static, prompting the city to declare in June that the property owner is guilty of blight and public nuisance

*rest of article

http://theadvocate.com/news/neworleans/4866240-148/ruling-allows-city-tomove-on

Usually I am not in favor of the government having a lot of power over what people do with their private property, but in this case it seems appropriate.  The owner has had the property for six years and not done anything with it and it is definitely an eyesore and probably has a negative impact on surrounding properties.  The owner needs to either get moving on this or face the possibility of the the city foreclosing or demolishing it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quite an ambitious proposal for the Convention Center District! One user posted a very interesting concept instead of the abstract structure shown in the renderings. I would have to agree with his concept but not sure about the actual structure he is describing.

Renderings and article:

http://thelensnola.org/2013/04/19/convention-center-officials-envision-iconic-sculpture-on-former-world-trade-center-site/

I like the idea of a big project in that area.  The empty WTC building represents a great opportunity to put something special up in a very key piece of property.  

Antrell, I agree with you on the structure/sculpture.  I'm not sure about the abstract structure/sculpture shown in the render (seems very random) and I like the user's idea of something that has more meaning/significant to NOLA, but the pic he linked doesn't really do much for me.

Also, the render seems to have removed the ferry terminal.  I'd like to see the ferry terminal upgraded, but not removed entirely.  I think it is a nice way to keep the city connected to the river and the neighborhoods across the river.

• Like 1

Those proposals are pretty long and it will take some time to go through them.  The obvious biggest difference in the proposals is that one involves demolishing the WTC Building and the other two involve renovating it.  It isn't a particularly attractive building, especially in its present form, but it seems kind of a waste to tear it down and not utilize that space as intensely.  At least one of the proposals involves possibly re-cladding it.  Maybe it would look better if it retained its shape but had a more modern treatment.

Anyone have thoughts/preferences?

I like the shape of the building, it's very unique, although it's obviously out-dated and needs exterior work for others to realize a significant project is taking place. If a different kind of monument were to be built, I would be for demolishing it, there needs to be extensive work done on that end of Canal to attract more pedestrians and businesses.