New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

Does that mean you would consider the State Capitol at 450' or 460' a Skyscraper ? There are currently six bldgs. in NOLA taller than the Capitol.

Yea, I would consider it a skyscraper. I consider basically any major high-rise to be a skyscraper, though there are many different categories. You would obviously never put the LA state capitol in the same skyscraper class as Sears Tower or Tapai 101, but I would still consider it a skyscraper. I've also always considered any buildings over 1000 feet to be a supertall.

I burrowed this from another forum (definition of a skyscraper), but apparently the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat uses these terms: a low rise is under 15 stories, a midrise is 16-30 stories, a high rise is 31 -50 stories, a skyscraper is over 50 stories, and a jumbo skyscraper (supertall?) is 70+ stories.

I don't really like those definitions, but I guess they are useful on a global scale. It would mean that New Orleans only has 2 skyscrapers and Baton Rouge has none. And I definitely wouldn't categorize a 15-story building as a low-rise. I'd say anything over 15 stories is a high rise and anything over 30 stories is a skyscraper. I think I agree with the jumbo 'scraper qualifications.

Thanks for the info bluff. I agree with you with your definitions. 15-stories is definitely a high-rise in my book too. And sometimes there are exeptions to the rule. A 30-story hotel or condo may be the same height as a 25-story office bldg. A 10-story Governmental Bldg. could as tall as a 14-story office bldg.

One rule I find silly is... tell me how ? Those Malayasian Towers be considered taller than the Sears Tower in Chicago. Bec. of the decorative spires ? Please. Diagrams clearly show the Sears Tower dwarfing the Malayasian Towers. And the ground floors there is no comparison. I don't care what the so-called experts say. The Sears Tower is the 2nd tallest in the WORLD, not 3rd !

At one time, any building over 10 floors in height was considered a skyscraper, and that's why some people still consider most buildings over 20 floors to be skyscrapers.

I know many people that consider anything 10 stories or higher a a skyscraper. I did too for quite some time.

When I was listing what I thought of as mid-rises and high-rises, I think I was basing that off of buildings in New Orleans. For example, I would consider the 25 story Vantage Tower soon to go up a high rise...in New Orleans. If you stuck that in Chicago or New York, it would definately be more of a mid-rise. For the most part, I agree with most of the global categories of skyscrapers. 450 or 500 feet and above seems about right to me.

The Hyatt needed a major redo even before Katrina. I suppose they won't be tearing it down and starting over, but you never know. I hope they will do something really good with the building. Late 70's architecture was never my favorite period.

Edited by tombarnes

The Hyatt needed a major redo even before Katrina. I suppose they won't be tearing it down and starting over, but you never know. I hope they will do something really good with the building. Late 70's architecture was never my favorite period.

Yea it really did need some work. I've never really been a fan of the design of the building, especially when you're looking at it from up close. Hopefully this re-development will bring something nice to the hotel. :D

Grand plan in works for plaza near Dome

City Hall and civil court site may be included in project

Owners of the storm-ravaged Hyatt Regency New Orleans are expected to join Mayor Ray Nagin and Gov. Kathleen Blanco to announce a 20-acre, $700 million redevelopment plan for the hotel and other battered high-rises along Poydras Street near the Superdome as well as a new City Hall complex.

Times-Picayune

Sweeping downtown revitalization plan unveiled

Times-Picayune

In a sweeping downtown revitalization plan being unveiled this morning, the Hyatt Regency New Orleans Hotel and the New Orleans Shopping Center will be turned into a modern 20-acre multi-use National Jazz Center and park buttressed by public office buildings.

The $715 million project, spearheaded by Strategic Hotels & Resorts, the Chicago-based owner of the Hyatt, is the first major redevelopment project announced since Hurricane Katrina. Developers say the project would generate construction jobs, taxes and tourism and change the face of the city the way that Millennium Park has transformed Chicago, the Inner Harbor has revitalized Baltimore and the Guggenheim Museum has put Bilbao, Spain, on the international map.

Pictures of the proposed development:

AAJ1.jpg

AAJ2.jpg

In case you can't read the numbers at the bottom of the picture, they are as follows:

1) Crescent Park (13 acres)

2) Louisiana Superdome

3) Civil Courthouse

4) Dominion Tower

5) Hyatt Hotel

6) Jazz Center and Museum

7) New Orleans Arena

8) Entergy Office Tower

9) 1250 (?) Poydras Place

Edited by breaux

HOLY CRAP!!

Got a little excited there. That is a major overhaul for that area...and I'm glad to see it happening. The whole City Hall area was such an eyesore. I also like the idea of extending the streetcar line down Loyola to link everything together. I hope this spurs more development down the line toward Rampart.

I think it looks good too, and hopefully some other condo towers, including the 37 story condo tower proposed for the Wharehouse District, go up so that the skyline can grow not only up, but out as well. :thumbsup:

NEW CENTRAL CITY CONDO COMPLEX

HERES A LINK TO THE ARTICLE:

Link

THIS WILL BE A GREAT PROJECT BEING THAT IT WILL BE ON VACANT LAND JUST NORTH OF THE HOUSTONS(GULF STREAM RESTAURANT ON ST CHARLES AVENUE)

ALSO THE ARTICLE MENTIONS THE SAME DEVELOPER WILL BE TURNING THE TEXACO BUILDING ON CANAL STREET INTO CONDOS AND THE KRAUSS WAREHOUSE WILL BE APARTMENTS. THIS SHOULD REALLY HELP THE NORTH END OF CANAL STREET. PLUS THE AUDUBON BUILDING NEXT TO THE RITZ CARLTON IS BEING CONVERTED ALSO. THANKFULLY OUR NEW COUCILMEMBER WANTS TO MAKE CANAL STREET ONE OF HER PRIORITIES BY GETTING RID OF THE FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS AND T SHIRT SHOPS THERE. COULD BE REALLY NICE, THE ONLY THING LEFT TO DO IS GET RID OF THE IBERVILLE HOUSING PROJECT.

Tennis1400, in the future, please remember not to post in all caps. Thanks!

Edited by NCB