New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

The new 1.2 billion VA & Charity Medical Complex could begin construction in fall 2008. Great news for the future of healthcare in New Orleans.

Below are a few links about this:

LSU, Veterans Affairs plan to build joint medical center together

State, VA map plan for medical complex

http://www.nola.com/news/pdf/062006_medicalcomplex.jpg (picture of the plan)

Here is an article about the Tracage receiving approval:

Condo tower near bridge endorsed

Neighbors criticize plan as out of scale

Article from the Times Picayune

In the future, please post a link to the article rather than pasting the whole thing. Thanks!

Edited by NCB

^That is an interesting article. And I expect to see the final stages of the building's planning move forward with little problems. Nearly everything is in favor in the developers over the residents in this case. And the fact that there is no height limit in the area where Tracage will be built, is another big boost for the developers if the residents do decided to take the issue to court.

Here are some of the new renderings released for the new baseball stadium that will be built at Tulane University. Turchin Stadium flooded and was heavily damaged during Katrina, and rather than just simply renovating the aging stadium, Tulane stepped up with plans for a whole stadium.

The new Turchin Stadium will seat around 6,000, and will be filled with new and upscale suites. :thumbsup:

turchinside-lg.jpg

turchinaerial-lg.jpg

turchinentrance-lg.jpg

Great for Tulane ! That's a nice looking baseball stadium. It will really help the morale too. Tulane baseball is top-flight; that stadium proves it !

What do yall think of that floating condo/hotel on the Pontchartrain ? Thanks for posting that rendering.

Well, it looks like Six Flags in New Orleans East won't reopen.

Article

As the title of the article says, it would be senseless to open anyway. I always thought putting what was then Jazzland in the marshland of New Orleans East was a bad idea, and we can now see why. On top of the fact that Six Flags N.O. wasn't exactly the most profitable of theme parks, Six Flags is a company on the downfall, visible with closings of parks like Astroworld in Houston. There is now no Six Flags parks along any part of the Gulf Coast, one of the countries top summer tourism spots, which is another sign of Six Flags' downfall that doesn't look to have a bright future.

What do yall think of that floating condo/hotel on the Pontchartrain ? Thanks for posting that rendering.

I'm still reading up on the project to be honest with you. It was announced while I was up in D.C., and I just recently got the chance to go over development news I missed in New Orleans while it was gone.

Nate, I mentioned to you the other day that my wife has switched engineering firms. Well, her boss at the new firm was telling her on Friday about a huge project in New Orleans that he thinks he may get. I can't recall the name of the project, and she didn't give me any details, but she did say it was a HUGE project. The name, at the time, sounded very urban to me... like maybe a huge urban renewal project in the downtown area!?

Nate, I mentioned to you the other day that my wife has switched engineering firms. Well, her boss at the new firm was telling her on Friday about a huge project in New Orleans that he thinks he may get. I can't recall the name of the project, and she didn't give me any details, but she did say it was a HUGE project. The name, at the time, sounded very urban to me... like maybe a huge urban renewal project in the downtown area!?

Wow, that's awesome! It wasn't anything like an urban Jazz Park was it? Because that's the only urban renewal project in downtown New Orleans that has been publically announced to the public, and that's a $715 million project.

Wow, that's awesome! It wasn't anything like an urban Jazz Park was it? Because that's the only urban renewal project in downtown New Orleans that has been publically announced to the public, and that's a $715 million project.

Hmmm... :dontknow:

That didn't sound like it. I do believe this project isn't a done deal yet, so maybe nothing has been announced. Even if I could remember the name, my wife would kill me for saying it on here. But for the life of me I can't recall the name.

Hmmm... :dontknow:

That didn't sound like it. I do believe this project isn't a done deal yet, so maybe nothing has been announced. Even if I could remember the name, my wife would kill me for saying it on here. But for the life of me I can't recall the name.

Oh that's fine. I didn't think it was the Jazz Park as that is already a very public project with many different teams set up, but I was curious if maybe her boss was selected to to work on one of the many phases and parts of the project, and if the name rang any bells.

Oh that's fine. I didn't think it was the Jazz Park as that is already a very public project with many different teams set up, but I was curious if maybe her boss was selected to to work on one of the many phases and parts of the project, and if the name rang any bells.

Just a note. Living in San Antonio and visiting New Orleans, I still believe that New orleans has the shell of being the greatest city in the south. More potential up[side than Atlanta, Nashville,Houston or Dallas. Just need a developer like Trump a consultant like Rudy G to get rid of the crime.

Just a note. Living in San Antonio and visiting New Orleans, I still believe that New orleans has the shell of being the greatest city in the south. More potential up[side than Atlanta, Nashville,Houston or Dallas. Just need a developer like Trump a consultant like Rudy G to get rid of the crime.

It's always nice to here positive opinions about New Orleans from others, thanks. :D And, I agree with you completely. There is all kinds of potential to make New Orleans everything it can be, we just need to make sure we have the right people working with us to make New Orleans the best it can be. One of the main members on Ray Nagin's "100 Day Plan" board, who is also working to keep crime down in the city, is Rob Couhig, a mayoral cantidate who many consider to be New Orleans' version of Rudy Giuliani.

Audubon Condominiums

homepage_rendering.jpg

Sales have just begun on this project directly next door to the Ritz-Carleton, New Orleans.

http://www.auduboncondos.com/index.html

Wow, very nice.

Last time I was down there, I was going to stay at the Ritz-Carlton... until I discovered that they charge $30/day for parking. Unbelievable!! It was going to be tough enough to pay for the room and still have money to enjoy New Orleans, and as much as you do pay to stay there, $30 per day for parking in addition is outrageous.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Wow, very nice.

Last time I was down there, I was going to stay at the Ritz-Carlton... until I discovered that they charge $30/day for parking. Unbelievable!! It was going to be tough enough to pay for the room and still have money to enjoy New Orleans, and as much as you do pay to stay there, $30 per day for parking in addition is outrageous.

:rofl:

Tell me about it man. But, the Ritz New Orleans is considered to have some of the finest amenities, staff, service, and other available features in the South, so if you've got the money, that extra 30 bucks a day is worth it! Of course, I don't have the extra money either, so how do I know! ;)

:rofl:

Tell me about it man. But, the Ritz New Orleans is considered to have some of the finest amenities, staff, service, and other available features in the South, so if you've got the money, that extra 30 bucks a day is worth it! Of course, I don't have the extra money either, so how do I know! ;)

The good thing is, my wife and I combined are making a lot more money than when we stayed down there last, so I do plan on trying to stay at the Ritz-Carlton next time!

The good thing is, my wife and I combined are making a lot more money than when we stayed down there last, so I do plan on trying to stay at the Ritz-Carlton next time!

Good deal! But I will laugh if by the time you come down here, they raise the price of parking to something just out of your reach in terms of money for everything you need. :lol:

Good deal! But I will laugh if by the time you come down here, they raise the price of parking to something just out of your reach in terms of money for everything you need. :lol:

I'll find a way to work it out this time.

Man, you're always good at looking on the bright side of things, aren't you!? :P