Retail Exodus

J0e

According to Channel 4 (WSMV), Old Navy and the Limited/Express are not renewing their leases with the mall. I believe the Mall manager went on camera and said that it is normal for stores to exit before a major redevelopment occurs. Speaking of, isn't Wal-Mart going to open a SuperCenter around the area? I've also heard that there will be a Super Target opening in the McCrory Lane area. Anyone else with any info on the mall redevelopment?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Channel 4 (WSMV), Old Navy and the Limited/Express are not renewing their leases with the mall. I believe the Mall manager went on camera and said that it is normal for stores to exit before a major redevelopment occurs. Speaking of, isn't Wal-Mart going to open a SuperCenter around the area? I've also heard that there will be a Super Target opening in the McCrory Lane area. Anyone else with any info on the mall redevelopment?

This comes as no surprise. I think we said this wold happen about two months ago on here. I haven't heard of a Super Target, but it would be nice to have one considering.

Supposedly, the constuction of the super walmart next door is to try and 'boost' the amount of people going to the mall. I guess it could do that, but over time, people will realize that everything is cheaper and more convenient at walmart and it will take over.

Hey, getting on the the dead mall topic again, does anyone have any input on media play closing all stores (in 100 oaks)?

Media Play was a great addition to 100 Oaks and the Hickory Hollow areas in 1995. Too bad to see them closing. They have had their share of troubles though. They closed one location in Cool Springs (now Floorz) within about 2 years of opening. This is definitely another nail in the coffin for 100 oaks.

Another mall that doesn't get mentioned much is the Columbia Mall (aka Shady Brook Mall) It is practically a ghost mall. It too has a Super Wal Mart near it, but that doesn't seem to be helping the mall keep vendors.

Wow, 100 Oaks has pretty much lost everything. I would say it's closer to the afterlife than it's ever been.

If 100 Oaks does die, it will be its second death. If that happens, I'll predict that it get resurrected yet again. The fact is that it's really a great location, especialy now that an exit on and off I-65 was added. It's short on parking to be sure, but the visibility from I-65 is incredible.

Who knows, Wal Mart might try to retrofit a store in that location somehow. That's a prime location for a major department store, excluding the already present TJ Max and Burlington of course. Seems fitting with the parking so scarce the mall owners would be better of bulldozing the mall for a new Wal Mart or Costco or something. I read on www.deadmalls.com that the second floor is just about empty. That area has seen a lot of development in the last 10-15 years, from being pretty much Burlington, the old movie theater, and Mega Market and later getting the facelift in the 90s(all those cogs). Home Depot, Carmax, and the Hollywood 27 have fared rather well there since that time. As for the mall, based on its history, it's hard to imagine another chain taking a chance at thriving in there.

Who knows, Wal Mart might try to retrofit a store in that location somehow. That's a prime location for a major department store, excluding the already present TJ Max and Burlington of course. Seems fitting with the parking so scarce the mall owners would be better of bulldozing the mall for a new Wal Mart or Costco or something. I read on www.deadmalls.com that the second floor is just about empty. That area has seen a lot of development in the last 10-15 years, from being pretty much Burlington, the old movie theater, and Mega Market and later getting the facelift in the 90s(all those cogs). Home Depot, Carmax, and the Hollywood 27 have fared rather well there since that time. As for the mall, based on its history, it's hard to imagine another chain taking a chance at thriving in there.

The Expo Design Center itself makes 100 Oaks still a shopping destination in the Nashville area. Many residents of Williamson, Sumner, Wilson, etc make the drive just to visit that place. Perhaps if 100 Oaks was destroyed and reworked as something of a lifestyle center with better landscaping and design it could find a niche in the market once again.

I think 100 Oaks should build a midrise apartment building with underground parking in the parking lot facing I-65. With a population base of 800-1000, you'd have a nice start for rebuilding the mall as a lifestyle. It's a great location. Lot's of singles would love to live in an area close to Green Hills and Melrose, downtown, and even Brentwood/Cool Springs.

Just a thought.

I think 100 Oaks should build a midrise apartment building with underground parking in the parking lot facing I-65. With a population base of 800-1000, you'd have a nice start for rebuilding the mall as a lifestyle. It's a great location. Lot's of singles would love to live in an area close to Green Hills and Melrose, downtown, and even Brentwood/Cool Springs.

Just a thought.

That's a good idea, as long as the apartments don't face the Hollywood 27. With all those neon lights, it would be reminiscent of that Seinfeld episode with the Kenny Rogers Roasters sign blinding the tenants.

I always thought Nashville could use a design district of sorts. Much like the one in Dallas on Alpha Road - near the Galleria. With EXPO already being there it just makes sense to turn that area into something home-related. A development of that type/niche would certainly become a destination. Just a thought.

I "remember", sort of, when 100 Oaks was new. Even I was a young kid at the time and just thought it was someplace across town that had a lot of trees. When it was described, it sounded almost mystical. Being able to walk INSIDE and shop....whoa. Now, I can't help but think of it as a huge waste of space. Bulldozing might not be such a bad idea and a neighborhood sounds pretty good. They an keep everything surrounding it, that's fine with me. But the mall space is plain dead. They could tone down that neon palace movie theater a bit and maybe it wouldn't draw so many bugs.

Archived