Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

Thanks for the head's up...it was only a matter of time before something popped-up at that location...Eventhough it was a long-shot; was hoping Celtic Media Center expansion located behind it could utilize the property.

http://theadvocate.com/home/2961065-125/costco-has-contract-on-airlinei-12

That would have been cool.

They have purchased parcels all around it. Coca Cola wouldn't give them a good price.

The Oasis on Burbank proposed....

Recreation-centered townhomes proposed

A local developer plans to turn a 10-acre parcel on Burbank Drive into a recreation-centered town home complex, featuring volleyball courts, a sports cafe with a large outdoor deck and sports- and health-oriented retail. Chris Shaheen, of Shaheen Real Estate Development, said he has wanted to build a residential development with an outdoor cafe and a heavy emphasis on casual sports such as golf and volleyball since his days managing a health club in Las Vegas in the early 1990s.

His zoning change request for The Oasis, on Burbank across from South Kenilworth Parkway, will go before the city-parish Planning Commission on June 18. The plans call for 16 medium-density lots on 1 acre, about 20,000 square feet of commercial development on half-an-acre, then 4 acres of semipublic space. A large, partially covered deck would adjoin a 5,000-square-foot sports-theme restaurant and retail spaces of 9,000, 4,000 and 1,500 square feet.

Shaheen said he is in talks with some restaurant owners and a golf retailer, and could bring in a hair salon, a coffee shop or yoga studio. He said activities such as virtual golf, a putting green, batting cages and sand volleyball would serve as amenities for residents and visitors. While the initial plans show 10 sand volleyball courts and a championship court, he said he’s also considering using some space for something such as kickball or soccer, a use inspired by a restaurant in Austin that had a small field in which children could play while their parents ate. Clinics, camps, leagues and tournaments related to the facilities there are also possibilities, he said.

Shaheen estimated The Oasis could cost about $10 million to develop, with the town homes estimated at roughly $190,000 each, the sports cafe at $3.5 million and about $1.4 million in retail build-out. Shaheen, who is also a broker with Saurage Commercial Real Estate, said he could end up joining partners with someone else to build it out fully.

He said the parcel is zoned residential but is surrounded by commercial lots. If it gets the necessary approvals, construction could start at the end of the year and The Oasis could open in the summer of 2013.

http://theadvocate.com/news/business/3023087-123/recreation-centered-townhomes-proposed

The Oasis on Burbank proposed....

Recreation-centered townhomes proposed

A local developer plans to turn a 10-acre parcel on Burbank Drive into a recreation-centered town home complex, featuring volleyball courts, a sports cafe with a large outdoor deck and sports- and health-oriented retail. Chris Shaheen, of Shaheen Real Estate Development, said he has wanted to build a residential development with an outdoor cafe and a heavy emphasis on casual sports such as golf and volleyball since his days managing a health club in Las Vegas in the early 1990s.

His zoning change request for The Oasis, on Burbank across from South Kenilworth Parkway, will go before the city-parish Planning Commission on June 18. The plans call for 16 medium-density lots on 1 acre, about 20,000 square feet of commercial development on half-an-acre, then 4 acres of semipublic space. A large, partially covered deck would adjoin a 5,000-square-foot sports-theme restaurant and retail spaces of 9,000, 4,000 and 1,500 square feet.

Shaheen said he is in talks with some restaurant owners and a golf retailer, and could bring in a hair salon, a coffee shop or yoga studio. He said activities such as virtual golf, a putting green, batting cages and sand volleyball would serve as amenities for residents and visitors. While the initial plans show 10 sand volleyball courts and a championship court, he said he’s also considering using some space for something such as kickball or soccer, a use inspired by a restaurant in Austin that had a small field in which children could play while their parents ate. Clinics, camps, leagues and tournaments related to the facilities there are also possibilities, he said.

Shaheen estimated The Oasis could cost about $10 million to develop, with the town homes estimated at roughly $190,000 each, the sports cafe at $3.5 million and about $1.4 million in retail build-out. Shaheen, who is also a broker with Saurage Commercial Real Estate, said he could end up joining partners with someone else to build it out fully.

He said the parcel is zoned residential but is surrounded by commercial lots. If it gets the necessary approvals, construction could start at the end of the year and The Oasis could open in the summer of 2013.

http://theadvocate.c...nhomes-proposed

I'm designing this project. Only downside is, is it would prevent the future connection of Kennilworth to Burbank.

Wow...typical...connecting BR can be too painful!

Cool Buckett! Will this project be 3-stories??

The project is very suburban. Even if there is/was density, it wouldn't share a relationship with the street or other surrounding elements. Just like Swaggert Ministries, the buildings there may be tall, but they are still very suburban in their context therefore negating any concept of density.

This city is so backwards..

No, not it this case. So you're overreacting a tad without knowing the facts. It's not possible to extend Kworth down to Burbank or Nicholson without landowners participating. Which they are not. Besides, the NINBYs on Highland would fight that to their last breath. They don't want certain elements on their neighborhood street grid.

No, not it this case. So you're overreacting a tad without knowing the facts. It's not possible to extend Kworth down to Burbank or Nicholson without landowners participating. Which they are not. Besides, the NINBYs on Highland would fight that to their last breath. They don't want certain elements on their neighborhood street grid.

These facts are slightly incorrect. The current land owner of Burbank is willing to sell the necessary right of way to the city. Its the land owner on highland that is being stubborn. The city could utilize imminent domain. In this case, removing one business, the gift shop, to maintain the street grid, seems appropriate.

These facts are slightly incorrect. The current land owner of Burbank is willing to sell the necessary right of way to the city.

Correct, I thought that's what I said but I could have been wrong. The gift shot on S Kenn (next to ACE Hardware) is the one opposed.

Its the land owner on highland that is being stubborn. The city could utilize imminent domain. In this case, removing one business, the gift shop, to maintain the street grid, seems appropriate.

There's a lot of money on Highland that will fight that. Would be a long process. I don't see an extension occurring for a very long time. If ever.

That's pretty negative. Maybe one day you'll move to a town more to you're liking. Personally there's nothing wrong with BR and I'm not the only one. Its a good thing people are able to migrate freely in this country.

Or maybe Baton Rouge relies to much on the Status Quo. Cities that continuously reinvent themselves are the ones where the most citizens prosper. Austin would be a perfect example. It's okay to criticize something as long as you are willing to provide solutions. Fortunately I am able to do so everyday in my line of work and I have some other projects in the works.

You would be one of the first people to admit to some of Baton Rouge's short comings.

What do you do to make Baton Rouge a better place?

But regardless, it is backwards for the city to draft the Horizon Plan, which includes the Kennilworth extension, but never do a thing for 20 years to make that plan a reality. Its also backwards for the local neighborhoods to oppose changes that would alleviate traffic when It is probably one of their main concerns. Its backwards that the city still doesn't have plans to extended Kennilworth for at least 20 more years even though FUTUREBR also includes it in its plan! Its this type of thinking (status quo) that has gotten BR into this traffic nightmare. Does criticizing that makes me negative or does it mean I offer a better way of thinking? I'd like BR to be a better place when I eventually leave, if that requires being "Negative", it means BR is in worse shape than I thought.

That's pretty negative. Maybe one day you'll move to a town more to you're liking. Personally there's nothing wrong with BR and I'm not the only one. Its a good thing people are able to migrate freely in this country.

That's why our schools bottom top in the nation? That's why college graduates can actually stay here instead of leaving? That's why a body is found almost daily?

You are happy with the status quo, and that's exactly why Baton Rouge has the problems it does now.

That's why our schools bottom top in the nation? That's why college graduates can actually stay here instead of leaving? That's why a body is found almost daily?

You are happy with the status quo, and that's exactly why Baton Rouge has the problems it does now.

That's funny, I don't remember saying BR was perfect. Nice try though.

I suppose this is the fault of republicans too, right?

There is plenty wrong with BR....even before the Katrina migration.

You occasionally just need to be reminded that the grass isn't always greener somewhere else.

BR has tremendous potential, and tremendous hurdles. We rarely address the real hurdles on this message board, IMO. I occasionally hint at them and sometimes feel like the father who has to take away his child's toy.....almost like I rain on everyone's parade.

I am not against new urbanism, but I don't want UP to be an echo chamber for it. Good ideas are always challenged and property vetted.

Edited by cajun