Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

I know this is probably the worst possible thread to put it in, but oh well. ;)

This gave Baton Rouge quite a bit of name exposure back in the early-mid 90's. :thumbsup:

:rofl: A blast from my past, for sure.

And yes, I was always jealous that Garth wrote a song about Baton Rouge... but it definitely put Baton Rouge's name in every country music-listening household!

:rofl: A blast from my past, for sure.

And yes, I was always jealous that Garth wrote a song about Baton Rouge... but it definitely put Baton Rouge's name in every country music-listening household!

Have there been any mainstream songs about Shreveport that you know about? I would think so, but I just can't come up with any off of the top of my head.

That's funny. I was not even aware that he made that song when he did. Thanks for posting in a slow BR forum.

Aw c'mon now, I know you've heard Callin' Baton Rouge! Everyone has!

And seriously guys, I have met people that have wanted to visit Baton Rouge, just because of that Garth Brooks song. :lol:

Have there been any mainstream songs about Shreveport that you know about? I would think so, but I just can't come up with any off of the top of my head.

Not in the last 70 years.

Seriously.

Bummer.

:cry::cry::cry:

EDIT: I take that back. Kenny Wayne Shepherd's 'Ledbetter Heights' was written about the Shreveport neighborhood, Ledbetter Heights. The neighborhood was named for Huddie Ledbetter, so the song was basically paying homage to ol' Leadbelly.

And then there's that one song that mentions every city known to man... "I've bee everywhere!"

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Not in the last 70 years.

Seriously.

Bummer.

:cry::cry::cry:

Well Brian, with all of those stars you guys have up there right now, there's gotta be someone who can sing!? Get over there and tell them you want a song for your city! ;)

Well Brian, with all of those stars you guys have up there right now, there's gotta be someone who can sing!? Get over there and tell them you want a song for your city! ;)

Kevin Costner just put on a concert (he sings and has a band,) and I'm sure he mentioned Shreveport's name in it... so I'll just count that and call it good.

That's funny. I was not even aware that he made that song when he did. Thanks for posting in a slow BR forum.

This is the frat-party, everybody-get-drunk-and-sing-along song that LSU is fortunate to have. The univ. of Alabama has lynyrd skynyrd and we have Garth Brooks. And don't forget Janis Joplin's flat tire in "bobby mcgee,'' which was busted in Baton Rouge on the way to New Orleans...

^That's great to see. An experiment that looked weird, seemed weird, and many people weren't happy about, is getting all kinds of praise now. Are there any plans to put more of those intersections in Baton Rouge, like many of the drivers in the article said they would really like?

Here is the link to the website that contains more info on the type of intersection being discussed:

http://www.abmb.com/cfi-testdrive.html

^That's great to see. An experiment that looked weird, seemed weird, and many people weren't happy about, is getting all kinds of praise now. Are there any plans to put more of those intersections in Baton Rouge, like many of the drivers in the article said they would really like?

Here is the link to the website that contains more info on the type of intersection being discussed:

http://www.abmb.com/cfi-testdrive.html

Sometimes change is a hard thing for people to overcome. But once the change has been put into place and people begin to see that it is making a difference afterall, most people will warm up to it.

Sometimes change is a hard thing for people to overcome. But once the change has been put into place and people begin to see that it is making a difference afterall, most people will warm up to it.

That seemed to be the tone with most of the people who provided their opinions in the article. Definately a good decision in the end. :thumbsup:

Not too long ago the developer told me River Place will be 30-stories. They had to re-engineer the project due to 18% increase in steel & concrete bec. of hurricanes. Where did you hear 10-stories would be taken off ? Just curious.

I heard that on a message board on another site. It's good to hear it's 30 stories instead of 26,6 floors of isn't that much.

What exactly are the Kress, Welsh & Levy buildings? Does anyone know if the Laurel Street tower is going to be built and if so ,when? And also does anyone know when the riverfront park is going to start construction? Sorry for all these questions, but I'm just so excited.

What exactly are the Kress, Welsh & Levy buildings? Does anyone know if the Laurel Street tower is going to be built and if so ,when? And also does anyone know when the riverfront park is going to start construction? Sorry for all these questions, but I'm just so excited.

The Kress, Welsh & Levy buildings are on the corner of Third and Main. They are across Third Street from Capital One Bank(Old Hibernia Building). The Kress building is where some Southern University students held a sit in back in the sixties when the lunch counter in the store was for 'whites only'.

Construction on the Riverfront Park is still a ways off. A final plan has not been decided yet.

The Kress, Welsh & Levy buildings are on the corner of Third and Main. They are across Third Street from Capital One Bank(Old Hibernia Building). The Kress building is where some Southern University students held a sit in back in the sixties when the lunch counter in the store was for 'whites only'.

Construction on the Riverfront Park is still a ways off. A final plan has not been decided yet.

Thank's for the information. :)