Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

I'm willing to bet few of the people relocating to Louisiana are suffering in terms of quality of life. Their quality of life has increased because our cost of living is so much lower compared to what they are used to elsewhere. In Uptown NOLA, they're snatching up properties for what seem like bargain basement prices compared to California and other super inflated housing markets. 

It's people who are born here into poverty whose quality of life suffers. 

Edited by garrett_225

I was wondering where that store went,  I thought it shut down. I wonder how long till we get some national retailers downtown,  not that they're better but it'll still lend downtown some "credibility". 

It's just nice to start having things that are entertainment besides nightlife.

• Like 1

Downtown Canes opens next week:

The first Raising Cane’s restaurant in downtown Baton Rouge will hold its grand opening at 9:30 a.m. May 22.

Stormi Persick, the restaurant’s general manager, made the announcement at Tuesday’s Downtown Development District meeting. Persick said 45 people will work in the restaurant at the corner of Third and Florida streets.

The 3,000-square-foot restaurant will have a unique design, specifically to reflect downtown Baton Rouge. The restaurant will not have a drive-through window, but it will offer carry-out or dine-in service.

Follow Timothy Boone on Twitter @TCB_TheAdvocate

• 4 weeks later...

"New retail center planned at Highland Park Marketplace already 50% leased

Highland Park Marketplace—the commercial development planned for the corner of Highland and Old Perkins roads, anchored by Alexander's Highland Market—will soon break ground on its next phase of construction, says George Kurz of Kurz & Hebert. The next phase which will encompass a five-suite, 8,000-square-foot retail center.

Although the center—which will be located behind the new Investar bank on Highland Road and adjacent to Alexander's—is still in the permit process, Kurz says he has already signed leases for over 50% of the space"

http://businessreport.com/article/20140604/BUSINESSREPORT0112/140609921

"New retail center planned at Highland Park Marketplace already 50% leased

Highland Park Marketplace—the commercial development planned for the corner of Highland and Old Perkins roads, anchored by Alexander's Highland Market—will soon break ground on its next phase of construction, says George Kurz of Kurz & Hebert. The next phase which will encompass a five-suite, 8,000-square-foot retail center.

Although the center—which will be located behind the new Investar bank on Highland Road and adjacent to Alexander's—is still in the permit process, Kurz says he has already signed leases for over 50% of the space"

http://businessreport.com/article/20140604/BUSINESSREPORT0112/140609921

That sounds really cool, where exactly is this though?

I found some artwork and maps for the area:

hp.jpg

medium_5403445_Highland_Park_Marketplace

hp_logo.jpg

Nice renderings...that's on the northside of  Old Perkins at the Highland Rd intersection across from Blue Bayou/Dixie Landing...

Surprised a few smaller hotels did not go in that area instead of a few too many clustered down I-10 along Siegen Ln..

BTW Congrats Mr. Bernham going over 100+ post so quickly since joining :good:

No...they probably don't need any more. Seems the chance for new hotel development has been missed for the Highland Road/Blue Bayou/Dixie Landing area   especially with the Cabela's Sportsman Park going on a hotel building spree & there are already plenty of hotels along Siegen (7).

Highland Road could have borrowed a few hotels of from each of those two locations....had Siegen remained only at 5 hotels that are at the I-10 exit(thought that was enough)...the other two new hotels further north away from I-10; Holiday Inn Express past Academy Sports/behind TJ Ribs & Best Western Plus near Industriplex might have made for a good choice for Highland...and really think the Cabela's area could be over building but i'm no expert.

You're right about the hotels, but with so many going up in Gonzales and many new ones on Seigen, would we need more?

Thanks for the site plan Dan :thumbsup:

Edited by richyb83

Nice renderings...that's on the northside of  Old Perkins at the Highland Rd intersection across from Blue Bayou/Dixie Landing...

Surprised a few smaller hotels did not go in that area instead of a few too many clustered down I-10 along Siegen Ln..

BTW Congrats Mr. Bernham going over 100+ post so quickly since joining :good:

Oh I hadn't even noticed <blushes>

Interested in the tenants. You're right about the hotels, but with so many going up in Gonzales and many new ones on Seigen, would we need more?

I'm with Richy, BR is starting to get a very balanced market when it comes to travel accommodations. City leaders need to start focusing on giving the city a more unique identity as they have been very successful in economic development. 

No...they probably don't need any more. Seems the chance for new hotel development has been missed for the Highland Road/Blue Bayou/Dixie Landing area   especially with the Cabela's Sportsman Park going on a hotel building spree & there are already plenty of hotels along Siegen (7).

Highland Road couple have borrowed a few hotels of from each of those two locations....had Siegen remained only at 5 hotels that are at the I-10 exit(thought that was enough)...the other two new hotels further north away from I-10; Holiday Inn Express past Academy Sports/behind TJ Ribs & Best Western Plus near Industriplex might have made for a good choice for Highland...and really think the Cabela's area could be over building but i'm no expert.

Thanks for the site plan Dan :thumbsup:

It does appear that too much is happening in that area. People will want to be closer to the city center and downtown, not far flung like Cabela's. The only season I can see hotels generating revenue in that area is in the time that Blue Bayou is open. 

• 3 weeks later...

BR is really coming up! I hope its not being too unrealistic to imagine BR will turn into a scaled version of Raleigh or Austin.

'USAgencies moving headquarters from Texas to downtown BR

Auto insurer USAgencies announced this morning that it will move its corporate headquarters from Plano, Texas, to downtown Baton Rouge. The company says it will occupy two floors of the 440 on Third development underway at 440 Third St. It also says it has secured naming rights to the building, which was formerly known as the Capital One Building, and will rename it the USAgencies Building. As recently reported, the mixed-use development is fully under construction and on track for completion by the end of the year. Dyke Nelson is spearheading the project, which will include 65 luxury apartments, retail space and offices. It will also be home to downtown's only grocery store, a Matherne's Supermarket, which will be located on the ground floor of the building and is expected to open this fall. The new headquarters for USAgencies will also serve as the operations center for affiliated company Confie Insurance Group Holdings. "We are extremely excited that such a great organization is becoming a major tenant in 440 on Third," says David Weinstein, the building owner, in a prepared statement. "Their commitment shows the continued growth of downtown as not just a place to work but a focal point of the city."'

Businessrepot.com

• Like 1

Still fantastic for the cities downtown. I just wish more companies would have the courage to build downtown and that the city council would be willing to impose some strict anti-urban sprawl laws...that would be nice. 

It's coming. You should have seen the place 5 years ago. It was dead.

I don't think we need to go the San Francisco route yet.