Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

IKEA has been announcing a lot of new stores lately. Memphis and St Louis are actually getting new IKEA locations.

Maybe Baton Rouge can get one along Siegen or maybe even downtown.

IKEA's are pretty big, I guess one could go in Siegen Marketplace or the land facing I-10 at the end of N Rieger Rd.

Originating/Destination. I guess it's irrelevant since Baton Rouge is not a hub and all passenger traffic is O-D.

I fly in and out of Baton Rouge pretty frequently. The ticket prices are usually comparable to New Orleans, and I find the airport clean and well designed. I just wish we had more options.

Every time the Feds let airlines merge, Baton Rouge looses a connecting flight.

I do agree that it's well designed, looks good too.

I wonder how other cities near our size compare with their number of passengers.

Is the new MSY actually happening?

Yes, funding is there. Just waiting to select a firm.

IKEA's are pretty big, I guess one could go in Siegen Marketplace or the land facing I-10 at the end of N Rieger Rd.

I do agree that it's well designed, looks good too.

I wonder how other cities near our size compare with their number of passengers.

Yes, funding is there. Just waiting to select a firm.

Does anyone have Mobile's numbers? 

Most cities Baton Rouge's size aren't an hour away from a larger airport....but Little Rock is probably a good comparison.

MSY and MOB are two hours apart. And Gulfport and New Orleans are an hour apart (actually Gulfport is closer to NOLA than BR). 

In total BTR brings in an 800,000 average passengers while New Orleans brings in around 9.2 million, most of which are domestic. So essentially Baton Rouge has to somehow chip into that massive number, I would say that BTR could serve 1 million people by 2020 if IBM and the Water Campus have the affect we expect them to. Looking at the airports data from last year and their annual report it looks like Delta has the most confidence in BTR and is scheduling larger and larger aircraft for the area. I could see Delta maybe adding flights to Chicago, Tampa, Orlando, Austin, DC, and a SoCal city within 5-10 years. 

MSY and MOB are two hours apart. And Gulfport and New Orleans are an hour apart (actually Gulfport is closer to NOLA than BR). 

In total BTR brings in an 800,000 average passengers while New Orleans brings in around 9.2 million, most of which are domestic. So essentially Baton Rouge has to somehow chip into that massive number, I would say that BTR could serve 1 million people by 2020 if IBM and the Water Campus have the affect we expect them to. Looking at the airports data from last year and their annual report it looks like Delta has the most confidence in BTR and is scheduling larger and larger aircraft for the area. I could see Delta maybe adding flights to Chicago, Tampa, Orlando, Austin, DC, and a SoCal city within 5-10 years. 

BTR had a DC and an Orlando flight for a short time. Would love to see them back...especially DC. 

• 4 weeks later...

Wampold unveils details of delayed luxury apartment complex on Stanford

Construction is finally underway at developer Mike Wampold’s newest development—a luxury, multifamily complex at 900 Stanford Ave. called Bayonne at Southshore.

The 240-unit complex is being developed on the 5.5-acre site of the former One Lakeshore Place Apartments, which Wampold bought in 1985 and demolished last September to make way for the new complex. The project is adjacent to his luxury condominium development, Crescent at University Lake.

Bayonne at Southshore will be a four-floor gated community with one-, two- and three-bedroom units and garage parking, and will cost some $42 million to construct. The complex will include a resort style pool and clubhouse, fitness and business centers. Construction is expected to take nearly 18 months, with a projected opening date of May 2016.

Wampold originally planned to begin construction on the project in early 2014. Several factors delayed it, however, including a lengthy permitting process, higher-than-anticipated construction costs and some redesign work, he says.

“We have to drive piles, build a parking garage, build elevators,” Wampold says. “This is a huge commercial project.”

http://www.businessreport.com/article/wampold-unveils-details-delayed-luxury-apartment-complex-Stanford

DR.1.13-one-lakeshore-v2-draft01-850x500

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

..or it's a underused golf course, which is a dying sport, in a great area for a large central park for Baton Rouge. I say close it. It would benefit 800k people versus 20k.

I was being facetious.

It's a poorly maintained park either way, which is a shame given BREC's deep pockets.

It would be a good place for a zoo and an amphitheater.

Kind of strange how we have no aquarium in Baton Rouge.

I have always thought a small aquarium/"RiverQuarium" would have been the perfect fit for the BR Water Works property in front of the Shaw Center for the Arts. Cant seem to find an old pic to show the location...

BTW...there is a BR Water Works property "Topic" page is waay back on Page #5 talking about that. :thumbsup:

Edited by richyb83