Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

On 2/12/2018 at 8:20 PM, cajun said:

A sports complex would be a nice feature.   With lots of soccer fields and baseball fields.   

I always thought a sports park at Perkins Community Park would be best. Heart of the new medical district. Really promoting an active lifestyle. 

Build new gym, new natatorium, new flex stadium, and fields.

• 2 weeks later...

New City/Parish website! Looks great, though I'm not a huge fan of the logo:

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/article_9fce31fc-1b40-11e8-9a3b-6bfcc475e963.html

Document?documentID=48

I made my own logo a while back. I might send it to my City Councilman to see if they'll adopt it. Thoughts?

5a94b07e229c9_CITYOFBATONROUGELOGO.png.c03014467f9aa16badbf2111ecca8782.png

Edited by mr. bernham
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Was glad to see the long time vacant lot along I-10  next to the towering Marriott finally get something built on it...was thinking it could be 4-5 stories...but turned out to be a nice 3 story building instead.   With them expanding now ; purchasing a nearby building across I-10 & already leasing space at the Atrium( office   behind it in pic )....it's a shame this was not a 7 or 8 story building in the first place.

https://www.businessreport.com/business/attorney-gordon-mckernan-expanding-law-offices-buys-building-facing-10-515k-2

image.thumb.png.6291a52adcfb26f9d19fa0927a4b29d8.png

• Like 1

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_9f40d32c-36be-11e8-a10f-cf84e79ef2e1.html

The owner of the former Golden Corral site on Sherwood Forest Boulevard has plans for an 18,000-square-foot shopping center at the location.

The Shoppes at Sherwood will feature 11 spaces averaging 1,600 square feet each at the site, with rents ranging from $20 to $25 per square foot. Carmen Austin, of Saurage Rotenberg Commercial Real Estate, said the developer plans to break ground later this year.

Austin said she is currently in talks with a national coffee user, national pizza concept and other prospective tenants. Plans call for a courtyard at the property with a 3,110-square-foot space suitable for a full-service restaurant anchor.

• 2 weeks later...

There are CC's &  Starbucks just up the Boulevard...good luck with that...the courtyard sounds nice.

Business Report says you won't confuse BR with Austin

https://www.businessreport.com/article/newsmaker-week-trends-baton-rouge-real-estate-seminar

Baton Rouge real estate market moving on from floods, petrochemical boom

*entire article

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_487fd922-430f-11e8-8a4f-a3bb7ba60b3e.html

In the years after Hurricane Katrina, 3,983 apartment units were built in Baton Rouge to deal with the increased population flowing in fro New Orleans. But from 2015 to 2017, a time when there wasn’t any major event leading to population surges in the area, Davenport said 3,963 more apartment units were built.

RETAIL: The retail market is being changed locally and nationally because young people want to be entertained and e-commerce is wiping out “mediocre” stores.

Jonathan Walker, of Maestri-Murrell Inc., noted locally that entertainment concepts such as Topgolf and Main Event are replacing defunct businesses like hhgregg at the Mall of Louisiana and Tinsel Town movie theater at Siegen Marketplace.

OFFICE: The outlook for the Baton Rouge office market is “fairly bullish” as the market continues to absorb new developments.

During the past year, 90,000 square feet of new space was added to the market in the @Highland building at the corner of Highland Road and Bluebonnet Boulevard and in the River House development on Nicholson Drive between LSU and downtown, said Ty Gose, of NAI/Latter & Blum. Even with the new space, occupancy rates in the office market were relatively flat for 2018, dropping two-tenths of a point to come in at 82.2 percent.

RESIDENTIAL: The Baton Rouge housing market had a strong 2017, with sales increasing by 4.4 percent, said Kyle Petersen, of Re/Max Professional. There were 11,786 homes sold in East Baton Rouge, Ascension and Livingston parishes over a 12-month period that ended Feb. 28.

Petersen said the hottest Zip codes in the region were 70809, 70819 and 70734. In some neighborhoods in the 70809 Zip code, such as Jefferson Place, there were homes that were selling less than a day on the market.

Other neighborhoods in the Zip code, such as Pine Park and Jefferson Terrace, saw home values rise by more than 20 percent after the August 2016 flood.

INDUSTRIAL: Vacancy rates for industrial real estate in the Baton Rouge market hit a 10-year low in 2017, thanks to the demand from the petrochemical industry.

Edited by richyb83

• 2 weeks later...

Florida developer buys land near Perkins Rowe for shopping center

A Florida developer has purchased 2.2 acres near Perkins Rowe for $2.075 million with plans to build a high-end shopping center on the site.

Through a limited liability company, Commercial Property Ventures Inc. of Parkland, Florida, bought the site at Perkins Road and Hyacinth Avenue in a deal that closed last week.

The seller is Fidelity Bank, according to sales documents filed Tuesday with the East Baton Rouge Clerk of Court.

https://www.businessreport.com/article/florida-developer-buys-land-perkins-road-hyacinth-avenue-shopping-center

• 2 weeks later...

I think this may have already been posted. Of course, I like for things to be developed, but you do kind of wonder how they plan to fill these strip centers considering we already have so many empty ones. I'm guessing part of the appeal is that people wont' loiter around these like the at the mall.

Also they demolished the Lone Star on O'Neal to build a storage facility, very disappointing considering it doesn't go with anything in that area.

Retail center planned at former Golden Corral site on South Sherwood

An 18,000-square-foot retail strip center is being planned for the space at 5252 South Sherwood Forest Blvd. that was formerly home to Golden Corral for more than a decade.

“We have a really nice corner space proposed, with a courtyard area for the anchor restaurant tenant,” says Austin, adding Saurage Rotenberg has long had a relationship with Tributary, which specializes in land design and commercial projects. “We’re talking to pizza places, coffee shops, ice cream parlors and apparel stores.”

download-1.jpeg

Realize it's a nation-wide trend...but Baton Rouge seems like the Strip Shopping Center Capital...

Wow!  What a shame...a storage facility fronting I-12; not far at Miller Village(Millerville @ Old Hammond Hwy) ... there will be ANOTHER Storage facility....Rite Aid is the last business to be forced out in June; now the ENTIRE complex will be a Storage facility; after the Flood the owner ran off Restaurants; Dance Studio; GNC etc...How much demand is there?? BOTH those properties flooded!

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

New entertainment venue set to open at Mall of Louisiana in 2019

http://www.wbrz.com/news/new-entertainment-venue-set-to-open-at-mall-of-louisiana-in-2019

BATON ROUGE - A new entertainment venue are coming to the capital city in 2019.

Main Event is set to open at the Mall of Louisiana in the space previously occupied by hhgregg. The entertainment venue will consist of a bowling alley, arcade, restaurant, and bar.

The addition comes several months after TopGolf announced it would be opening at the old Tinseltown Theater on Siegen Lane, set to open in early 2019. Coincidentally, Main Event tried to open at the current TopGolf location two years ago but scrapped those plans less than a year later.

Officials with Main Event did not have an official timeline but estimated construction could take up to eight months to complete.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

10 acres is a lot..is it going to be a campus-like layout?  If not...they  outgrew 42,000 square ft office; a 4 story office building fronting O'Neal Lane would be cool. Very doubtful for sure.

Pelican State Credit Union building new headquarters on O’Neal

Pelican State Credit Union is building a new corporate headquarters and customer branch on 10 acres on O’Neal Lane, between Interstate 12 and South Harrells Ferry Road.  The new space will be the first WELL Building Standard certified office in Louisiana.

Construction on the new building, designed and built by Labarre Associates Inc. of Denham Springs, will start on Oct. 1 and should finish by December 2019, Porta says.

In 2009, Pelican State purchased the former Piccadilly corporate headquarters on South Sherwood Forest Boulevard, but in the last nine years the credit union outgrown the 42,000-square-foot building, Conrad says. They now have 130 employees at their corporate office.  

“It’s not just growth of people, its growth of branches, too,” Conrad says. There are five locations in the Baton Rouge region.

Edited by richyb83

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Antrell Williams said:

Let me find out you like subdivisions on URBAN PLANET of all places. emoji848.png

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

LOL.... I prefer Neighborhoods  90%  of the time  & Subdivsions 10% in  special instances like this one because of the  cool set-up w bridge crossing the lake...  but Not really a fan of single entrance either; but the other two entrances have gates; guessing only for emergency's?

image.thumb.png.ea2555a12611a104624aedbbeda684fb.png

In the past every once in a while i'd even say "In this edition of Suburban Planet" lol......Shedding the Overgrown Country town label has not been easy an easy task for BR.

LOL.... I prefer Neighborhoods  90%  of the time  & Subdivsions 10% in  special instances like this one because of the  cool set-up w bridge crossing the lake...  but Not really a fan of single entrance either; but the other two entrances have gates; guessing only for emergency's?image.thumb.png.ea2555a12611a104624aedbbeda684fb.png&key=f0bdab40d85d7cadc049da26bf81498f7560956e73ee9d305dbdf67bf236ed35

In the past every once in a while i'd even say "In this edition of Suburban Planet" lol......Shedding the Overgrown Country town label has not been easy an easy task for BR.

That's interesting but I think it would be infinitely better if it was a beautiful tight grid haha. I think the younger generation will help with that, specifically the kids and young adults who live in the city rather than Livingston or Ascension.

Tight Street grid is cool...in spare time i like to draw imaginary City street maps & drawing Street grids (or modified street grids) can be quite the therapeutic !   Adding a small lake inside the grid can be a challenge with residential development.    Would just go inside a block-sized pocket park.

Tight Street grid is cool...in spare time i like to draw imaginary City street maps & drawing Street grids (or modified street grids) can be quite the therapeutic !   Adding a small lake inside the grid can be a challenge with residential development.    Would just go inside a block-sized pocket park.
It would be just like how the LSU lakes fit in the grid.
Do you play the game cities skylines? If not, you should check it out.

3 hours ago, Antrell Williams said:

It would be just like how the LSU lakes fit in the grid.
Do you play the game cities skylines? If not, you should check it out.

Yes indeed! Almost mentioned the LSU Lakes..that Street grid was done up right!   Just can't expect too much out on So.Harrel's  Ferry Rd where grid was forgotten long ago:o

Thanks for the head's up..will be sure to check it out :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, dan326 said:

Virginia College at Cortana is shutting down according to Business Report.

Not a huge loss, especially with BRCC expanding their offerings.

Well, I guess it's a loss to Cortana, but that place should not be a mall anymore.   It's ideal for a distribution center setup with light retail on the periphery.