Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

6 hours ago, cajun said:

Not a huge loss, especially with BRCC expanding their offerings.

Well, I guess it's a loss to Cortana, but that place should not be a mall anymore.   It's ideal for a distribution center setup with light retail on the periphery.  

Yeah. They demolished the Forum Mall in Arlington and built a really nice office park. It'd be nice if that was possible here. Or something like @Highland.

Edited by dan326

Baton Rouge Metropolitan Area just added Assumption Parish.

A few other things happened, Shreveport lost Webster parish but adds (or keeps) Minden micropolitan area, Monroe added Morehouse Parish but loses Bastop micropolitan area.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-conten...etin-18-04.pdf

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 9/15/2018 at 11:21 PM, Antrell Williams said:

Baton Rouge Metropolitan Area just added Assumption Parish.

A few other things happened, Shreveport lost Webster parish but adds (or keeps) Minden micropolitan area, Monroe added Morehouse Parish but loses Bastop micropolitan area.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-conten...etin-18-04.pdf

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Very interesting news.  That puts the metro population between 860,000 and 865,000 people by 2017 estimates. 

Your link is broken though.  Could you fix it?  I would love to read up on this. 

23 hours ago, cajun said:

Very interesting news.  That puts the metro population between 860,000 and 865,000 people by 2017 estimates. 

Your link is broken though.  Could you fix it?  I would love to read up on this. 

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Bulletin-18-04.pdf

This works for me, maybe try to copy and paste it into your address bar? 

Or you can do a search for "OMB Bulliten 18-04", I found a link to the link on the first page, but no direct link to get the pdf. 

21 hours ago, dan326 said:

I know Assumption was part of the combined statistical area. So is it now definitely part of the regular metropolitan statistical area?

Looks to be so.

5 hours ago, richyb83 said:

Personally ...i thought Assumption is a bit too far on the outskirts to  have anything to do with Baton Rouge.  More a part of Morgan City- Houma -Thibodaux area.

Probably has something to do with Houma and Thibodeaux being in different parishes.  Also, it was always part of the CSA, which apparently ceased to exist after Assumption was added to the metro. It's really weird but there's an anomaly here with Boulder MSA and Denver MSA, they are separate metros yet only 25 miles apart from each downtown. 

I'd love to find the raw data to see how much travel there is between all the major corridors.  I want to really see what's going on in St. James, Tangipahoa, and St. Landry parishes, even Wilkinson County would be interesting to look at. 

Hotel Lincoln owner to redevelop historic building into apartments

One year after acquiring the former Hotel Lincoln developer Solomon Carter says he’s ready to move forward with redeveloping the 68-year old building.

Carter plans to transform the historic hotel at 400 Eddie Robinson Sr. Drive in downtown east into a 13-unit apartment complex with 4,000-square feet of ground floor commercial space for a restaurant and art gallery.

Getting started with the ambitious project has taken longer than originally planned due to issues with the title that had to be resolved. The building was not actually owned by Brandon Dumas, the ousted Southern University vice chancellor who sold it to Carter, but by his father, Carter says.

https://www.businessreport.com/article/hotel-lincoln-owner-redevelop-historic-building-apartments

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The Mercantile offices break ground on Bluebonnet

HOLLY DUCHMANN
October 23, 2018

Dantin Bruce Development has broken ground on The Mercantile, a new garden-style office development on Bluebonnet Boulevard near Jefferson Highway.

The developmenta mix of leased and owned propertieswill consist of eight buildings over 38,800 square feet. Five of the buildings have been committed to be leased or purchased, according to Ross Bruce, and three of the committed buildings are set to begin construction soon. Office space ranges between 2,500 and 6,000 square feet.

The development, designed by Ritter Maher Architects, will feature modern farmhouse-style architecture with steel entry doors, exposed wooden beams, natural stone floors, and steel and glass interior finishes. The offices will be similar in style to City Farm on Jefferson Highway, which was also developed by Dantin Bruce Development.

https://www.businessreport.com/article/mercantile-offices-break-ground-bluebonnet

New townhouse development planned for Jefferson Highway

Baton Rouge developer and homebuilder Brooks Hearn is planning a 42-townhome development on Jefferson Highway near the Hoo Shoo Too Road intersection.

The development will primarily include two-bedroom houses, with some three-bedroom homes, priced around $225,000, says Hearn. Some homes will also be available for rent.

Hearn says he wanted to develop in south Baton Rouge because of the demographics in the area.

https://www.businessreport.com/article/new-townhouse-development-planned-jefferson-highway

Topgolf adding 350 jobs in Baton Rouge location ahead of 'early 2019' opening                                                                              https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_04320630-db82-11e8-aea9-53f0f4aaaa7c.html                                                                      5bd7177a7b2a1.image.jpg?resize=1200,900

Edited by greg225
  • Thanks 1

I was wondering what the hold up was. Only thing is I'm trying to analyze what they mean by "a 100,050-square-foot expansion"? There's only 1 expansion to the mall so  is  this a new expansion?  I would  think they need to fill what they have now before they build anything else. Really though they need to just renovate that whole mall like the one in Metairie cause it's starting to show its age and turn hood.

Entertainment company seeks expansion of old Hhgregg store at Mall of Louisiana

East Baton Rouge city-parish has issued a permit for a 100,050-square-foot expansion of the Mall of Louisiana that involves adding space to the former Hhgregg store. Main Event Entertainment, a Dallas-based company, had previously announced plans to open a family entertainment center in the space.

Main Event said the center would have a bowling alley, laser tag arena, pool tables, arcade and restaurants. The company had sought to add about 18,000 square feet to the store, bumping the size of it up to 43,000 square feet.

Main Event has said its centers range in size from 48,000 to 75,000 square feet.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_891a59b0-dc72-11e8-baf5-eb2f8ab09268.html

Edited by dan326
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Baton Rouge getting its first H&M store at Mall of Louisiana                                                                                                  https://www.businessreport.com/article/baton-rouge-getting-first-hm-store-mall-louisiana

Edited by greg225
  • Like 2

Thanks richy! It must be like 8-10 years since my last post,  totally forgot about this site but  then recently stumbled upon it again and was "ahh! I remember this place". I didnt feel like going to the effort of making a new account, so I'm stuck with this dumb username i created back in high school (slightly embarrassing, but whatever, lol), but I am pleasantly surprised to see so many familiar usernames still posting and keeping this place active and  updated about what's going on! 

• Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 12:04 AM, richyb83 said:

Saw yesterday on WAFB or WBRZ... Spencer Calahan new office looked pretty cool near foot of Miss. River Bridge...but can't find the story with nice shot of the building...

Here is a pic not as updated

image.thumb.png.ce7663b6d108b9ec4fa13f9f5faec061.png

How tall is this planned to be?  :e:dit  Nevermind.  I just googled it and found an article that says 5 stories. 

Edited by otowntiger
found the answer to my quetion