Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

Wow NCB, you are on the ball !!! How did you find that ? What made you go there ?

Yes,this is in BR , I ran across this almost a year ago . I talked to Trahan about it ; they actually own that small tract of land at the corner of River Rd./North Blvd.; if you notice(it's blurry) to the right is the Old State Capitol ; behind it is the Shaw Arts Center ; to the left is the Hilton Capitol Center(Old Heidelberg). It seems like it's just in the "Vision" stage.Nothing more.

Thanks for the info, very interesting! :D

If the office tower was just a "vision" before Katrina, I would have to think it is being considered much more seriously now with all the the business growth in downtown Baton Rouge.

It's great to see Baton Rouge getting some cutting-edge architecture! If only Jackson could follow the same path....

I'm very happy with the new architecture on these new buildings in Baton Rouge! Hopefully Jackson will end up following the same path. :D

New Louisiana State Museum grand opening on Wed.Feb.1st ;

Located on Fourth Street and Spanish Town Rd. in the shadows of the State Capitol. 71,000sq.ft. 2 floors

There's a 47-foot Louisiana shrimp boat,a cotton gin,Civil War submarine and other war memorabilia. Also exhibits on the Louisiana Purchase, and the state's Indian Mounds,among other displays.

The museum will be a welcome new attraction for BR's emerging downtown scene,and a great asset for the rest of Louisiana too. A state treasure !

Edited by richyb83

As mentioned in another thread, are there any plans to expand the airport in Baton Rouge? I don't think the former Ryan Airport (now Baton Rouge Metropolitan Airport, has had a runway expansion since the 1980's. While there's no doubt that the airport and the city have grown, it's obvious that the pace of the airport's growth has been much slower than the surrounding metro area. What plans are in place for the airport's future growth? Is there serious discussion of building another airport in the area?

Edited by tombarnes

Amedisys spending millions on headquarters

Amedisys is ready to make the former Schwegmann's grocery store on Sherwood Forest its new corporate headquarter. The company has filed for a $12 million building permit to remodel 16,726 square feet for an office consolidation. A media contact for Amedisys wan not available for more information. Last year, the company paid $4.2 million for the 16.3-acre site that includes the grocery store. At that time, the home health care company targeted the fourth quarter of 2006 for the renovation. Amedisys leases buildings for its headquarters, which houses about 200 employees.

^From "The Greater Baton Rouge Business Report."

Construction has started on another mid-rise condo project at a great location.

http://www.crescent-condos.com

The project will be located at the SE edge of University Lake next to BR Beach on Stanford Ave. The developer will also make improvements to jogging and bike baths and enhanced landscaping along the the lake. Also with views of LSU Campus and Downtown BR. Behind the condo's will be a private lake with a nature preserve and picnic area.

Edited by richyb83

That looks very nice indeed. It's about time more condos were built near the lake. Dense, but attractive, housing needs to be built all around the campus. I lived in a student slum on Carlotta Street. I think the dump I lived in is still there. J.T. Doiron was the landlord. He owns many, many buildings, or did at one time. It was, as I said, a dump, but it was convenient to the campus- an easy walk.

Edited by tombarnes

the crescent condos will stand on an awesome piece of property and judging from the renderings they will be pretty top drawer. I always had hopes the purple building would reopen but ohwell, I guess the demand for housing right off campus is just too much.

Does anyone know what they plan to build on the lot formerly occupied by mcdonalds and arzis?

Believe it or not .... more residential units in lofts above retail/restaurant. More of a mixed-use . I was suprised they tore-down the McDonald's

Yet another big residentail project; just 600 yards away from Tiger Stadium at the Northgate of Nicholson. 4-Story New Orleans style lofts.

Aimed at the tailgaters who want to stay close to the action. There are only four of these in the U.S. A few more couldbe planned.

http://sportslofts.com >Fieldhouse Baton Rouge

Edited by richyb83

I suppose it's the French Quarter Lite aspects of it that I don't exactly care for. While this sort of thing may work well in some New Urbanist developments and the like, I don't see it blending in with the LSU campus well at all. While "nice" at a distance, if not executed well it could be downright atrocious.

Edited by tombarnes

Construction has started on another mid-rise condo project at a great location.

http://www.crescent-condos.com

The project will be located at the SE edge of University Lake next to BR Beach on Stanford Ave. The developer will also make improvements to jogging and bike baths and enhanced landscaping along the the lake. Also with views of LSU Campus and Downtown BR. Behind the condo's will be a private lake with a nature preserve and picnic area.

This is a great looking project! I'm happy to finally see some residential buildings come to the lake area on the LSU campus! :thumbsup:

Believe it or not .... more residential units in lofts above retail/restaurant. More of a mixed-use . I was suprised they tore-down the McDonald's

Yet another big residentail project; just 600 yards away from Tiger Stadium at the Northgate of Nicholson. 4-Story New Orleans style lofts.

Aimed at the tailgaters who want to stay close to the action. There are only four of these in the U.S. A few more couldbe planned.

http://sportslofts.com >Fieldhouse Baton Rouge

I like this project. I've never been a been fan of fake French Quarter architecture, but I like the overall project. If I had the money, I would love to live that close to everything going on at both LSU and in downtown Baton Rouge. :D

Amedisys spending millions on Baton Rouge headquarters for 200

Amedisys is ready to renovate a former big box store on Sherwood Forest its new corporate headquarters. The company has filed for a $12 million building permit to remodel 16,726 square feet for an office consolidation. A media contact for Amedisys wan not available for more information. Last year, the company paid $4.2 million for the 16.3-acre site that includes the building. At that time, the home health care company targeted the fourth quarter of 2006 for the renovation. Amedisys leases buildings for its headquarters, which houses about 200 employees.

Feb7Prop.jpg