Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

Hey, I knew that name sounded familiar... Bob Dean. So I ran a quick Google search and found this article from the Shreveport Times. It appears he just sold 3 buildings and a couple of parking lots he owned in downtown Shreveport.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...406016/0/LIVING

This guy must be loaded to have owned all these buildings. And he's only getting richer by selling them off. A smart businessman, that's for sure.

I'm not so happy with his stewardship of the Bentley in Alexandria or the Eola in Natchez. I hope he will find buyers for both of these buildings soon- especially the Bentley. His thoughts about turning the Eola into a Holiday Inn are also not a great idea. Rich? Yes. Wise? Maybe not.

I'm not so happy with his stewardship of the Bentley in Alexandria or the Eola in Natchez. I hope he will find buyers for both of these buildings soon- especially the Bentley. His thoughts about turning the Eola into a Holiday Inn are also not a great idea. Rich? Yes. Wise? Maybe not.

Yowza. I didn't realize he had such crappy plans. From what little I've read about him, I just figured he was purchasing properties and fixing them up to sell again. I didn't realize what all else he was planning.

Another long-awaited high-rise, City Plaza II will top-out very close to Laurel Tower and Riverside North Tower . Funding from the GO Zone Act is still currently going on.

>Hey NCB, Katrina caused construction $ cost to go way-up on the RiverPlace Condominiums . Now the project is $75 million , originally it supposed to be $50 mil. This caused a re-engineering of the project ! I was curious, so I contacted the developer. He replied today and said the tower will now be at 30-floors(on top of 3-floor parking). I was a little disapionted to hear this; but then I remember all the tweaking that has been going-on since word came out on high-rise living along the river.

First...The Condo's were set at 23-floors, but demand changed that . Renderings soon came with two Towers of 27 and 17-floors. Before giving-way to what everyone sees now, the impressive 36-story rendering that is posted here, Emporis, and even their own website.

The current 30-story tower is still seven-floors more than when first planned. It will still be the city's 2nd tallest bldg ! I have been sketching what the Baton Rouge Skyline could look like by 2009 , and it's very exciting !

Edited by richyb83

Yeah Dean is rich, but has not been the best property owner in town. He has allowed many properties to sit for years when they could have been put back into use. The King Hotel, Capitol House, Bently in Alex, Kress Building in BR... the list goes on. I'm glad he finally sold off many of his holdings here in BR.

Yeah Dean is rich, but has not been the best property owner in town. He has allowed many properties to sit for years when they could have been put back into use. The King Hotel, Capitol House, Bently in Alex, Kress Building in BR... the list goes on. I'm glad he finally sold off many of his holdings here in BR.

:angry:

Run him out of town! Seriously, there's nothing I hate more than someone who has more money than they have sense... and it sounds like this guy is a prime example of that.

Yeah Dean held on to the Kress Bldg. for so long it was almost demolished in 2003'. Thankfully some innovative people bought several of his bldgs. including Kress Bldg. Now there are some big plans with retail, office, and condo's on top; the exterior shell will be kept in tact , and will add-to-it topping it out at 10-stories !

Government Street could soon resemble Magazine Street in New Orleans.

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=4792275

I am not very familiar with Magazine Street; but this sure sounds good for Government Street and Mid-City. I notice many positive changes in that area of BR !

Very cool, I hope this works out. I've never been on Government Street, but my uncle is a prominent politician in Baton Rouge (I won't name him, because while he's well known, he's not very well liked) and his address is listed as being on Government Street. I don't know if that's his actual home address or his place of business. He's one of the few family members I haven't ever met as there's a big divide between him and the rest of the family over his politics for a very long time.

I also saw the article about Bass Pro Shops. Honestly, I didn't know they were having problems... I thought it was under construction and nearing completion. I did wonder why it hadn't been open yet, but I just assumed maybe Katrina had something to do with that. I hope this gets going for you guys. I'd rather have a Bass Pro than a Cabela's any day, but I do think it's great that Baton Rouge is supposed to be getting both.

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=4798072

Thanks! Yeah, it's a big mess with Bass Pro, hopefully in about a month they will work things out. It's ashame the Supreme Court has to be involved. TIF's are practiced in 80% of the States . I can see both sides of the argument though. The new Bass Pro will be about four miles from the house in Denham Springs.

I was really impressed with Bass Pro in Bossier on the Red River.

Thanks! Yeah, it's a big mess with Bass Pro, hopefully in about a month they will work things out. It's ashame the Supreme Court has to be involved. TIF's are practiced in 80% of the States . I can see both sides of the argument though. The new Bass Pro will be about four miles from the house in Denham Springs.

I was really impressed with Bass Pro in Bossier on the Red River.

From what I've read about the proposed Denham Springs store, it's supposed to be about 50,000 sq. ft. or so larger than the one in Bossier, so if you were impressed by this one you'll surely be impressed by the one in your area. By the way, did you get to see the live gator exhibit at ours, or was it not open yet when you visited the store?

Also, have you ever been to a Bass Pro in a larger city like Dallas or Houston? Those stores are amazingly large... and awesome. I was a fan of the stores in both Dallas (Grapevine) and Houston (Katy) before our store ever opened. By the way, Bass Pro has plans for a second store in the Dallas area, this time in the suburb of Garland. I'm not sure, but Houston may also have a second one in the works.

Wow ! Thanks for the info Brian. I had no idea Bass Pro in D.S. would be 50,000 sq.ft larger than Bossier City. That's just crazy. It's ridiculous that since Bass Pro first announced they were coming, 7 other Bass Pro's have been built in that time. The most recent was in Mississippi, just outside of Jackson. Good ole' fashion Louisiana politics I guess ? Did Bossier City run in to any types of theses problems before getting started ?

Bossier City's Bass Pro is the only one I have been to. Next time I am in Houston or Dallas I'll have to check-it-out !

I never got to see the live gator exhibit while I was there. Bass Pro was brand-new. I think they just had the grand opening maybe days (or weeks)? before I got to see it.

That's not a bad shot Nate, I think it's good ! That's the Juban Rd. interchange that I had posted previously. That area is really sprawling, and the developers have bought hundreds of acres recently. You will not be able to recognize this area in a few years !

Thanks, Richy! I tried my best on all of the car shots, though alot of them came out bad.

I really couldn't recognize this area now. It went from pure woods to an area where houses and subdivisions are being built left and right, new lots are being cleared, and new roads are being built in what seems like overnight! :D

Also, I saw the lot where they will build the new Bass Pro Shop in Baton Rouge, and it's definately a decent size! The surrounding area looks like it's booming as well! Actually, driving through metro Baton Rouge on I-12, everything looks like it's booming! Baton Rouge is where it's at right now, along with parts of New Orleans, as well as most of Saint Tammany Parish and south Tangipahoa. :D It's definately great to see all of this development occuring, and you can see how much is going on just from driving from Covington to Baton Rouge on I-12!

Bet you never thought you'd be saying that post-Katrina. There was so much doubt there for a while, but I'm glad to see New Orleans is building back up.

For awhile after Katrina, I really didn't think I'd be saying that. But I honestly thought(and most experts did too) it would be years before I could say that New Orleans had passed 200,000 in population, while in reality it took 6 months. And the city will continue to prove everyone wrong! :thumbsup:

For awhile after Katrina, I really didn't think I'd be saying that. But I honestly thought(and most experts did too) it would be years before I could say that New Orleans had passed 200,000 in population, while in reality it took 6 months. And the city will continue to prove everyone wrong! :thumbsup:

I think it's awesome and it shows the true resolve of not only metro New Orleans, but the Cajun culture in general. Cajun folks just know how to bounce back.

Speaking of Cajuns, I was driving down I-20 through Bossier today, when I passed an old, beat-up car that was putting along at about 50 mph, and the back window had 4 stick-on letters (the kind that people put on their mailboxes) that spelled "KJUN." I just laughed and went about my business. You don't see that too much up this way, ya know.

Speaking of Cajuns, I was driving down I-20 through Bossier today, when I passed an old, beat-up car that was putting along at about 50 mph, and the back window had 4 stick-on letters (the kind that people put on their mailboxes) that spelled "KJUN." I just laughed and went about my business. You don't see that too much up this way, ya know.

Haha, I can imagine. :D

"When you apply the 52% growth to the forecast your numbers start to get tremendously large," Marino says. "The growth that was supposed to happen in 2026 was happening in 2006."

Wow, that's very exciting. I'm looking forward to seeing how Baton Rouge's airport expands! :D

hi everyone.. this is my first post so please be patient with me! haha.. I work at the BR Metropolitian Airport, and I must say that it is starting to turn into the Mall of Louisiana.. people are every where waiting on flights... The airport has never had this much traffic... but one sad note is that they are cutting Delta flights back slowly but shortly... so there wont be any 180 seat planes flying out of baton rouge anymore... mostly the 70 seaters... The direct flight to Laguardia Airport (NY) will be discontinued after this month also.. I beleive that the resurgence of NO's airport is the reason for these latest changes

hi everyone.. this is my first post so please be patient with me! haha.. I work at the BR Metropolitian Airport, and I must say that it is starting to turn into the Mall of Louisiana.. people are every where waiting on flights... The airport has never had this much traffic... but one sad note is that they are cutting Delta flights back slowly but shortly... so there wont be any 180 seat planes flying out of baton rouge anymore... mostly the 70 seaters... The direct flight to Laguardia Airport (NY) will be discontinued after this month also.. I beleive that the resurgence of NO's airport is the reason for these latest changes

Welcome, mrbowmanbtr! Thanks for the "insider" information about the Baton Rouge airport. Being an employee there, I bet it's exciting (and possibly even stressful at times) seeing all the growth first-hand.

And don't worry about the Delta thing... it's a common occurrence. They've been phasing all the larger planes out of the mid-size airports for some time now and replacing them with the smaller regional jets. Baton Rouge is definitely not alone in that, so I wouldn't blame that on New Orleans at least.

Anyway, good to have you and thanks for sharing your information.