Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

Baton Rouge is definitely not alone in the cutback of seats. This has been seen everywhere as airlines ty to squeeze more $$$ out of everything they can see. More passengers +less seats + higher fares. A rotten deal all round. I know the airlines are being squeezed on fuel costs, but this is unlike anything I've seen before.

hi everyone.. this is my first post so please be patient with me! haha.. I work at the BR Metropolitian Airport, and I must say that it is starting to turn into the Mall of Louisiana.. people are every where waiting on flights... The airport has never had this much traffic... but one sad note is that they are cutting Delta flights back slowly but shortly... so there wont be any 180 seat planes flying out of baton rouge anymore... mostly the 70 seaters... The direct flight to Laguardia Airport (NY) will be discontinued after this month also.. I beleive that the resurgence of NO's airport is the reason for these latest changes

Any chance you get us an update on the recruitment of low cost airline? I know Southwest has basically said No to BR, but what about ATA, Ted or Frontier?

Any chance you get us an update on the recruitment of low cost airline? I know Southwest has basically said No to BR, but what about ATA, Ted or Frontier?

Baton Rouge too, huh? Shreveport lost Southwest years ago... man I wish they could get that airline back. I'll probably be flying up to a small airport in New England later this year and it's going to cost me $500. On Southwest it would be considerably cheaper. But alas, Southwest doesn't fly into Shreveport or Bangor, Maine, so flying out of Dallas or Little Rock won't be any cheaper either.

Riverfront Master Plan: Extending a Park over the River

Three variations of the concepts of the elevated park will be combined into a hybrid.

http://www.businessreport.com/dailyReportArchiveResults.cfm

> Scroll- Down to see article

Riverfront Park plan proposes ambitious Downtown make-over

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/2701686.html?index=1

Edited by richyb83

Bring it on! As much as Baton Rouge is growing right now, this will only help the downtown area. That is extremely critical now, with the condo towers planned for that area.

Yea, a nice riverfront could really help bring people into the downtown living craze going on everywhere. A complete renovation of the Baton Rouge riverfront is a huge step in the right direction for the city, and hopefully they can continue to improve the downtown area, which would eventually lead to more downtown activity, with both people and business, and maybe more condo towers if people feel like downtown Baton Rouge is an even better place to live than to visit.

I've always felt that downtown Baton Rouge had enormous untapped potential. Especially so with the Mississippi flowing right past. Catfish Town was a valiant attempt, but it never did well. I think the powers that be will get it right this time. People must live downtown in order for it to thrive. It's great to see the condo projects going forward.

Thanks for posting the map.

I am curious to see those numbers post-Katrina.

EBR went way back up !

I certainly hope so. Baton Rouge, like so many other cities, needs some new growth inside the city limits. I personally believe the condo towers are an excellent step toward getting people back into the city.

Livingston and Ascension were already sprawling, now it's ridiculous!

Yes they were. A friend of mine's son goes to school in Denham Springs and supposedly it's gotten crazy over there with the extra students and such.

x1zpes.jpg

That's just crazy seeing the slight decline in population in EBR the past 5 years(pre-Katrina). With all the construction of office,retail,residential and redevelopment going on you would never know it !

And many projects now were still on the board pre-Katrina.

Edited by richyb83

Yes, Downtown is going to get bigger ! By the middle of this Summer , the last two New State Bldgs. Iberville & Beinville will be complete. Also the Heidleberg(Capitol House)Hotel will be re-stored. 1,600 new workers will be Downtown ! That's just the start !

Yes, Downtown is going to get bigger ! By the middle of this Summer , the last two New State Bldgs. Iberville & Beinville will be complete. Also the Heidleberg(Capitol House)Hotel will be re-stored. 1,600 new workers will be Downtown ! That's just the start !

It's really great to see action coming back to downtown Baton Rouge. :D

It's really great to see action coming back to downtown Baton Rouge. :D

Yes it is. With a growing metro population way up there at God-knows-what, it's time Baton Rouge stepped up to the plate in its downtown. And the addition of all the new state buildings is awesome.