Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

Was it necessary to close those other locations? More empty buildings is just what we don't need.

It was unnecessary......why not have 2 locations? Don't understand people sometimes. Hopefully though those buildings will be used for something else to come in the future...

I doubt anything will move into those locations in the next 5-10 years unless the new owners at Cortana improve the mall and surrounding area. Look at that old shoe store and restaurants. Lord knows people in north BR have kids like nobody's business, they would've stayed afloat.

Edited by Antrell Williams
  • Like 1

Was it necessary to close those other locations? More empty buildings is just what we don't need.

If you're a well known retailer and you're large box store is in the ghetto isn't making money, it's because the people with money DON'T want to go to the ghetto.

It's called capitalism. I know some people hate it but it's just the way it is. The current location is disgusting and rundown. Toys R Us will do what's necessary to make a profit and thus paying their employees and property and sales taxes

Were they coming up short on funds?

The stores are stuffing people in during holiday season, how about other times? People in North BR go to those stores, not everyone lives in section 8 housing, but anything that's not suburban is ghetto to you.

So you're saying this (plus womens hospital) and countless other restaurants and store owners in and around the Cortana area are merely just mean jerks who want to hurt people in those communities?

You know nothing about economics. Stores usually prefer NOT to be set up in blighted parts of town.

I've been to that Toys R Us. Once at night and the parking lot lights didn't work. Another during the day and there were beer cans all around the parking lot (and trashing on the side road leading to the parking lot). YOU might be ok in those neighborhoods but most people aren't. Make all the excuses you want but that's life. Accept it.

Edited by itsjustme2

So you're saying this (plus womens hospital) and countless other restaurants and store owners in and around the Cortana area are merely just mean jerks who want to hurt people in those communities?

You know nothing about economics. Stores usually prefer NOT to be set up in blighted parts of town.

I've been to that Toys R Us. Once at night and the parking lot lights didn't work. Another during the day and there were beer cans all around the parking lot (and trashing on the side road leading to the parking lot). YOU might be ok in those neighborhoods but most people aren't. Make all the excuses you want but that's life. Accept it.

Perhaps you didn't read my comment when I replied to steve3n8. It would have saved you this trouble.

• Like 1

Seigen MarketPlace and the surrounding area is as trashy as the Cortana area? Hahaha. Sure. Ok.

Just because Seigen Lane is newer doesn't mean its clean, attractive, or well kept. It may not be as run down as Cortana but is not exactly a shining beacon either.

You're in complete denial if you think the Seigen area isn't a 100 times better (in every way) compared to the Cortana area.

How is it so much better when you yourself said they need to bulldoze one of the shopping centers on that street, a shopping center that looks like one of the other many on the street.

• Like 1

How is it so much better when you yourself said they need to bulldoze one of the shopping centers on that street, a shopping center that looks like one of the other many on the street.

LOL! If you're incapable of seeing the vast differences between the Seigen and Cortana areas then there's no reason for you and I to keep discussing the topic in this thread.

LOL! If you're incapable of seeing the vast differences between the Seigen and Cortana areas then there's no reason for you and I to keep discussing the topic in this thread.

Seigen and Cortana, in my opinion, are nearly the same thing with large big box stores in horribly tacky looking developments and faux stucco architecture. Both Seigen and Cortana provide the same types of services and stores for low-income shopping. While Seigen does provide a few more "nicer" stores they are both still on the low end in terms of quality and price, with the exception of the super target.

I think what itsjustme2 is trying to say, is that the demographic of the shoppers is different. The Cortana area services one type of socioeconomic racial group from North Baton Rouge, while Seigen services a different type from South Baton Rouge and the suburbanites of Ascension and Livingston parishes. I have a feeling that is how he derives the difference through race and economic class. Just my opinion.

At least Cortana has the bragging rights that at its opening it was the tenth largest mall in the world. I suppose Seigen Market Place can brag for having only one entrance, and a cluster%$&* at that?!

• Like 2

Seigen and Cortana, in my opinion, are nearly the same thing with large big box stores in horribly tacky looking developments and faux stucco architecture. Both Seigen and Cortana provide the same types of services and stores for low-income shopping. While Seigen does provide a few more "nicer" stores they are both still on the low end in terms of quality and price, with the exception of the super target.

I think what itsjustme2 is trying to say, is that the demographic of the shoppers is different. The Cortana area services one type of socioeconomic racial group from North Baton Rouge, while Seigen services a different type from South Baton Rouge and the suburbanites of Ascension and Livingston parishes. I have a feeling that is how he derives the difference through race and economic class. Just my opinion.

At least Cortana has the bragging rights that at its opening it was the tenth largest mall in the world. I suppose Seigen Market Place can brag for having only one entrance, and a cluster%$&* at that?!

Very well said. The entire western side of Seigen is no different that parts of Cortana. Other than the demographics it serves, which is only slightly different.

• Like 1

^Buckett^ That's what I was thinking, but I was trying not to play the race card.

I normally don't like to play the race card either, however someone had already tried to discretely play that card, so I figured it was time to call them out on it.

Things on this forum sure have changed since last December. I know it's kept me from posting as much!

• Like 1