Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

Wow. Calling me a racist for pointing out that Cortana area is a dump? How very progressive of you. Like I said, if someone is incapable of noticing the differences between the two (other than pointing out race) then I feel sorry for them.

The thing is, is that they are exactly the same which meant there was only one thing left for us to mention in our efforts to understand your point. I drove down Seigen today and couldn't help but notice all the discount retailers: Ross, Dollar Tree, Marshals, Shoe Station, Big Lots, Car Max and Walmart. Both Cortana and Seigen have the same stores, with the exception of the Target.

So if you could, rather than telling us you feel sorry for our lack of intellect, since we can't see the differences. Why don't you take a minute to try to actually reason your argument instead of belittling us.

• Like 1

Fairwood library groundbreaking set for Sept. 6

Library to have a drive-up window: A groundbreaking ceremony for the Fairwood Branch library will be held Sept. 6. The $4.5 million library is set to open in fall 2012 on the site of the old Fairwood Country Club. The 15,800-square-foot library will have free Wi-Fi along with a drive-up window for book drop-offs and pickups.

Businessreport.com

Good news...This branch is a long time coming! However it remains to be seen if the Fairwood residents will be able to walk or ride a bike to this library via a new sidewalk or have to hop in a car to get on Old Hammond Hwy? which one day eventually is supposed to be widened...

• Like 1

Babies R Us and Toys R Us are having a moving sale, it's very sad to see another two buildings are going to sit empty. Babies R Us at least has a chance, I highly doubt something moves into Toys R Us with Circuit City being empty as well. It's amazing how far this area is falling.

Actually, pretty much.

EKL will be moving their charity and medicare stuff to women's hospital by cortana and the new hospital will refer all patients needing that type of care to the older facility. So if you have regular insurance you'd probably be better off going to the new hospital.

Burbank-Staring property sold

A 0.7-acre tract of land at the corner of Burbank Drive and the Staring Lane extension has been sold to an investor who plans to build a convenience store on the site. Lava Kumar Kanakamedala purchased the property in a deal that closed last week. The seller was Brookwood-Burbank. Mark Hebert of Kurz & Hebert Commercial Real Estate, who brokered the deal, says the plan is to build a convenience store on the site.

businessreport.com

• 3 weeks later...

Nice find Antrell...yeah I remember this...the proposed 10-story office tower for Sixth Street was a quick flash in the pan?...trying to figure out what the taller building is supposed to be between it and the Chase Towers...it looks about the same size as the proposed Laurel Tower that never go off the ground: but at wrong location; these two buildings would have been a nice additions to the skyline <_<

Lighting being replaced at the Riverfront Plaza & Planetarium Renovation @ LASM

*pic taken about seven weeks ago

july2011062.jpg

Edited by richyb83

They would have been great additions to the skyline. I liked the style of both buildings.

Looking at the Riverfront has me wondering about the new design. Is anything going to happen or is it in the pipelines as other projects are finished?

Here are some of Baton Rouge's most recent building that were never built, many of which I believe have good promise if the national economy gets out of this double dip.

Baton-Rouge-Municipal-Dock.td_t180.jpg

Laurel-Towers.td_t180.jpg

Laurel-Street-Condominiums.td_t180.jpg

The-Brownstones.td_t180.jpg

http://www.businessreport.com/news/2011/jun/24/greatest-buildings-never-built-rlet1/

I love this building:

TrahanBldg.jpg

Edited by Antrell Williams
  • Like 1

Yeah Antrell...one can only wonder what could have been before the economy tanked...and on a global scale is doesn't look good. More baby steps...

Downtown's city scape could have had a much bigger change! Those boxy-contemporary condo's could have looked good in the Arts District near the Shaw Center...the Brownstones needed a different location a few blocks east or even next to the proposed Elysian in SpanishTown East....the RiverFront dock should have been developed years ago...stagnant attitude scene still dominant...cloudy visions.

The Trahan's interesting Sculpture with air space over River Road at his narrow site along Convention St in front of the Shaw Center for the Arts also had this visionary 25-story sleek RiverFront office tower.....

riverfrontofficetowerde.png

And this bold mid-rise design for the old Advocate site bowing out to the river...

advo1dq7.jpg

Several of these projects are tucked away in the back pages from 09'....can only imagine what the Advocate would look like had they consolidated the Siegen location with 70-foot tall printing-press bldg + the 6-story Administration bldg on Bluebonnet...that could have been one big built-up Block!

Looking at the 3 consecutive undeveloped riverfront blocks is a bit depressing...

'R' Superstore announces opening date

Don't tell the kids, but the 58,000-square-foot "R" Superstore—a combination Toys "R" Us and Babies "R" Us store—is set to open on Friday, Sept. 30, in the Siegen Lane Marketplace. The store will be the first Toys "R" Us/Babies "R" Us combined location in the state and will replace a pair of the stores near Cortana Mall. The combination store represents an ongoing nationwide effort by the company to bring its two brands together under one roof. The Baton Rouge store will be one of 37 "R" Superstores the company has opened across the country since 2007. Grand opening activities are scheduled from Sept. 30-Oct. 2.

Woman's sets move date

Woman's Hospital will relocate all services to its new hospital on Sunday, June 3, 2012. Interior construction continues on the new hospital, which is situated on approximately 85 acres at the corner of Airline Highway and Pecue Lane. The new Woman's Hospital will include four large buildings and 2,258 parking spaces, which is nearly 350 more than at the existing Goodwood campus. At 497,000 square feet, the new campus is also nearly 150,000 square feet larger than its current campus. Meanwhile, the 24-acre site and current hospital is already for sale, with a $19 million list price. The facility includes a 300-bed hospital, a 140,000-square-foot medical office building, a 20,500-square-foot support services building, a mechanical plant, and a parking garage with 776 spaces. Beau Box Commercial Real Estate has the listing. To read a recent Business Report article about the planning that's going into the move, click here.

Businessreport.com

Edited by steve3n8

I liked that location for the Brownstones. In the heart of downtown is where people want to be. The Elysian should be standing as well. That Riverfront Tower is pretty nice, with more work it would take away some shine from the Capitol.

The location is great; just not for brownstones...I was just hoping for a mid-rise; maybe around 8-stories; critical mass; more bang for the $buck :thumbsup:

The location is great; just not for brownstones...I was just hoping for a mid-rise; maybe around 8-stories; critical mass; more bang for the $buck :thumbsup:

Most definitely. A 8-story building would be ideal but it would have been scaled back to a smaller footprint, would have been more risky to try and lease twice the amount of units. I still think there is a market for these in downtown, hopefully someone steps up with the capital to start a project like that as lenders are skeptical in this market. Six stories would still be impressive for the street-scape.

There is a mixed-use development in Houston called West Ave that is similar to what I would like to see downtown and it looks absolutely massive in person. The pictures do it no justice. It would be great for an entire block like the non-river side of Lafayette St between Main and Laurel.

I swear they were supposed to start site work two months ago. I drive by the site everyday and I haven't seen a thing....

In a random turn of events construction has begin on the downtown Hampton. They have put up fencing and an excavator was on site beginning some site demolition. Hopefully this project will follow through!

Both would be great locations Richy. Acadian Village could really use something like this. Even on Stanford Ave in front of the lake, but on a smaller more vertical scale. Factor in the streetcar route and it's a win-win.

Good news for the Hampton Inn, I was getting worried that it fell through.