Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

• 2 weeks later...

Not part of the faux pas Acadian garden office that dominates that area...

Bluebonnet Palms Revived...

After nearly six years of sitting dormant, construction has resumed on the Bluebonnet Palms Office Park, on Bluebonnet Boulevard at Jefferson Highway. Earlier this month, work crews began framing the 4,000-square-foot building that, when completed later this year, will become home to a downtown law firm.

Groundbreaking is also expected in the next two weeks on a second 4,000-square-foot building that is currently under contract and will eventually house a physician's office, according to Chris Pike of Mike Falgoust & Associates Commercial Real Estate. The office park, which already has one office building on its site, was developed in 2006 by Victor Dagash but only partially completed, and was later foreclosed on by its lender, S. Bettis Properties. Bettis is now working with Pike and a team that includes Dantin Bruce Construction and Ritter Maher Architects to complete the project. "For six years they haven't been able to do anything with this," says Pike. "They couldn't even cut the grass. So to have construction under way again and to have something happening in the office market is really exciting."

http://www.businessreport.com/article/20120612/BUSINESSREPORT0112/120619950/0/businessreport0401

• 2 weeks later...

Will do Antrell...next time I get an updated pic :thumbsup: The Elysian could be the catalyst for other projects; there is more undeveloped land nearby.

HERE WE GO!! My request for BR to get something similar in the Acension thread may be answered! If BR can't land a Dave & Busters then this might work?? My top choice for location would be the large vacant space in the entertainment complex Click's/Hooters/Sullivan Steakhouse at College Drive & Corporate Blvd...

Plans for a new B.R. arcade, bar and restaurant concept announced

With the goal of bringing Baton Rouge "endless entertainment" at a single locale, a new concept called Quarters—essentially a combination bar, restaurant, arcade, bowling alley and laser tag venue—is expected to open in October at the corner of South Sherwood Forest and Coursey boulevards. Keidrick Alford of Baton Rouge-based IDEA Development, which represents Quarters, says the entire complex will measure nearly 40,000 square feet. The venue will consist of a restaurant with seating for 150, 10 bowling lanes, an 8,000-square-foot laser tag arena, a 4,000-square-foot arcade, and a bar "that is fit for hundreds." Quarters founder Ryan Curtis says, "There is no place like it in the state of Louisiana, and that's what makes Quarters so special," in a release announcing the concept's launch. A number of grand opening events are planned, as well as a party predating the opening for those who sign up for email updates, "like" the Quarters Facebook page and/or follow it on Twitter. You can learn more about Quarters and stay up-to-date on its progress at its Facebook page here.

http://www.businessreport.com/section/daily-reportAM

• Like 1

Ameritas opening 300-job IT center downtown

Ameritas Technologies, a startup company, announced plans Tuesday to launch its first information technology and software development center in Baton Rouge, with a goal of employing 300 workers downtown in the Chase Tower South over the next three years.

“They could have gone anywhere, but they chose to come here,” Gov. Bobby Jindal said during a news conference in the Camelot Club on the top floor of the Chase Tower South, “proving that Baton Rouge and Louisiana can compete not only with any state, but any country for good-paying IT jobs.” The company will begin hiring in September to be operating by October.

http://theadvocate.com/news/3429842-123/ameritas-opening-300-job-it-center

http://www.businessreport.com/article/20120724/BUSINESSREPORT0112/120729929

Thanks for posting that, Richy. It's a big deal for Baton Rouge to attract a business like that. It's a good thing for the higher education in the area, the economy, and for downtown.

Great news. I hope it works out.

Yeah, much better than a call center.

Definately....although I do think Baton Rouge (and the entire delta region) needs both low and high skill jobs.

I'd like to see an auto plant come to the Hammond area, and perhaps we can get something similar to Hawker Beechcraft to look into Baton Rouge again. The steel mill will be a huge benefit to the state.

Baton Rouge needs to leverage it's position as home to a massive university. The city should be lobbying for public funding for the south research campus and working to encourage tech start ups with tax rebates and education initiatives. They are already doing it on some levels.

Edited by cajun

I'd rather rebates than credits.

I don't want to see grants and loans given out like the DOE has been giving out....just because I don't want taxpayers on the hook if the company fails.

Credits could potentially be sold, and that would undermine the intentions of the states. The original film credits had loopholes that have since been closed.

The current LED and BRAC leaders are constantly refining their processes. They do impressive, thorough, clean work.

I'm thrilled that Louisiana taxpayers finally got tired of their children moving to Texas or Atlanta for decent jobs.

Edited by cajun

Shaw group was purchased by CB&I today. Shaw was Baton Rouge's only fortune 500 company.

I did several projects for CB&I years ago. Their regional HQ is Houston. I hope more jobs than just a few engineers stay in Baton Rouge. Could be a serious issue, as Shaw was one of the few large corporate gems in the state.

Horrible news for Baton Rouge and Louisiana. Great news for Shaw shareholders.

Edited by cajun

Lots of unknowns....Corporate office is definately being phased out and moving. Engineering jobs will likely stay.

We can't seem to shake our role as a blue collar refinery town. Making such progress lately, too.

:(

Edited by cajun

75% of BusinessReport think "Yes" this will be a blow to the local economy...15% "Too Earl to Tell"...only 10% said no.....Colossal Houston is like a giant vacuum due to it's close proximity...they are a "global" city...it sure is aggrevating; the rest of the Gulf South settles for table scraps! Hopefully things work out in the end....

Analyst calls Shaw deal a shocker

Analysts who follow The Shaw Group say the investment community has been taken aback by the announcement that the only local Fortune 500 company in Baton Rouge is being acquired by Houston-based Chicago Bridge & Iron Co., one of the world's largest energy construction companies.

"This came as a big surprise," says Brian Konigsberg, an analyst who tracks The Shaw Group for Vertical Research Partners. "This is much larger than anyone expected and expands [CB&I's] portfolio dramatically. This will make them one of the largest power contractors in the world."

The $3.04 billion deal, if approved by the SEC and shareholders later this year, will indeed create a massive company with some 50,000 employees worldwide. Shaw will continue as a business segment branded CB&I Shaw.

Shaw founder and CEO Jim Bernhard Jr . will retire after the deal closes in early 2013, and CB&I CEO Philip Asherman will lead the combined company. "We'll be diversified across the entire energy sector, enabling us to capitalize on all the growing global demand for energy," Asherman said on a conference call with analysts earlier today.

Analysts were not the only ones caught off guard by the announcement. No one in the local economic development community had any idea either

But economic development officials are trying to put a positive spin on the deal. LED Secretary Stephen Moret says, "We think there is the potential for significant job growth in Louisiana as a result of the acquisition, particularly in engineering jobs in Baton Rouge and expanded modular fabrication activity in Lake Charles. We plan to explore a variety of growth opportunities with CB&I in the near future."

Meanwhile, BRAC CEO Adam Knapp says, "The Shaw Group has indicated they do not expect employment changes in Baton Rouge at this time and the company will operate as its own business segment through CB&I Shaw."

While economists say it's too early to say what the long-term economic impact of the deal will be on Baton Rouge, Konigsberg says there is reason to believe the new company will keep a sizable presence here.

*entire article*

http://www.businessr.../daily-reportPM

Edited by richyb83