Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

That's great news. NOLA-Baton Rouge edition is reporting the same. It's IBM, and the plot they are looking at is the site of the old Advocate building near the new Hampton hotel. Considering the announcement is at a Manship theater, it sounds like a deal is already done.

It's a great business for Baton Rouge and will help diversify the economy. Hopefully more tech jobs move to the area.

I wouldn't keep my hopes up for a new skyscraper though.. You can easily fit 1100 workers in something the size of CP2. I'm sure it will be nice whatever it is.

I just hope it's a quality office space that is attractive to potential employees. I don't think they'll have any shortage of resumes and applicants from LSU to choose from.

Edited by cajun

Wouldn't surprise me if IBM builds the building, sells it, and then leases it back from the new owner. 

However, if a developer gets involved earlier in the project and builds to suit, wouldn't surprise me if they included some speculative office space and  high end condos, since IBM would most likely sign a 10 year lease and occupy most of the building freeing up some of the developers funds and lowering their risk. 

Ha...yeah Lincoln's downtown looks even more ancient than BR's...

Capital Region delegation's top priority is new roadways

As the Capital Region Legislative Delegation prepares for the session that begins Monday, April 8, the lawmakers say their top priority will be securing funding for infrastructure and transportation projects to help ease the notoriously congested roadways in the Capital Region. The delegation, which comprises representatives from a nine-parish region centered in East Baton Rouge Parish, met with Gov. Bobby Jindal on Friday to request his support on their top priorities. The delegation's list of preferred projects is split into those valued over $3 million, called "mega projects," and those below that threshold. Topping the mega-projects list is $5.5 million to study an alternate freeway route around Baton Rouge using Airline Highway, which would purportedly promote "urban renewal in a heavily blighted area of Baton Rouge." The delegation says "the new interstate-style roadway"—which they call BUMP—would link Interstates 10, 12 and 110, as well as U.S. 90, "expanding the regional freeway system while still providing free frontage roads for local access." The mega-projects list also includes $10 million to widen Hooper Road and $4 million for the renovation of Taylor Hall on the LSU campus, among others. Also, on the list of non–mega-project priorities is $2.5 million for the LSU Nicholson Gateway project, as well as $500,000 for the planned Knock Knock Children's Museum in Baton Rouge. You can see the delegation's complete 2013 Legislative Agenda on its Facebook page here

Read more from Business Report here: http://www.businessreport.com/section/daily-reportAM#ixzz2OZaWTWPL

• Like 1

I think everyone's approval toward this project is assuming the project itself is done right. I'd love to see a texas style feeder road system in place for this freeway. They could make a nice inner loop with 110 + airline. It would be great with WBR would get on board and they use one of the two roads to tie into I10 on the west bank side.

I think everyone's approval toward this project is assuming the project itself is done right. I'd love to see a texas style feeder road system in place for this freeway. They could make a nice inner loop with 110 + airline. It would be great with WBR would get on board and they use one of the two roads to tie into I10 on the west bank side.

After using Texas freeways, I would never want that for us. They don't offer congestion relieve, only a way to skip the tolls.

I've always wanted the portion of Airline from the river to I-110 to be upgraded to freeway status and LA 1 to be used as a Westbank Expressway.

I'm unsure how this project is supposed to promote urban renewal in any part of Baton Rouge. Freeway projects don't ever promote urban renewal. I would rather see the elimination of stop lights at intersections like Seigen/Sherwood and Coursey/Bluebonnet. If we are going the freeway route I would rather see a completely new one take the route of my I-51 proposal along the eastern side of the parish tying in Ascension Parish and northern EBR Parish.

There is already feeder roads on LA1 on the West Bank (in most places) and on Florida blvd west of Airline in Baton Rouge.

A toll road with free feeder roads would generate pretty good revenue, being connected to LA1, Florida (both of which can at least partially become limited access) as well as I-110 and I-12. I'm hoping investors show interest, and I'm hoping we don't see any NIMBYs turn out.

Routing traffic in that area, if done right, will help the retail environment. It will unfortunately likely lead to more traffic noise and more traffic in general. I honestly don't see how that's a bad thing since most of that route is retail and commercial already and depends on traffic.

That would be a nice northern by pass, and it wouldn't involve channeling development through the middle of nowhere. Airline through Baton Rouge becomes a more viable hub with commercial activity and links to arterial roads....which is what it always was and always should be.

Like you said...it has to be done right. An elevated expressway the entire route is not going to work. The feeder roads would have to be constructed first, then the freeway would have to be built in the median using much of the existing surface.

Edited by cajun

The hard part is going to be between Florida and I12. The other areas at quick glance seem to have enough right of way to make this work. Personally, having lived in Texas for a little while I miss the feeder roads. When there is an accident there is a viable alternative around and it give room to spread out business along the interstate versus just at every intersection. To me when you figure out how to use them to your advantage they are just that, an advantage.

I have always felt upgrading Airline to a freeway is something we should have done in the 60's or 70's. Run it all the way from the 415 down into Ascension Parish. Yes it will be painful for a few years, but it is something that needs to be done.

There is already feeder roads on LA1 on the West Bank (in most places) and on Florida blvd west of Airline in Baton Rouge.

A toll road with free feeder roads would generate pretty good revenue, being connected to LA1, Florida (both of which can at least partially become limited access) as well as I-110 and I-12. I'm hoping investors show interest, and I'm hoping we don't see any NIMBYs turn out.

Routing traffic in that area, if done right, will help the retail environment. It will unfortunately likely lead to more traffic noise and more traffic in general. I honestly don't see how that's a bad thing since most of that route is retail and commercial already and depends on traffic.

That would be a nice northern by pass, and it wouldn't involve channeling development through the middle of nowhere. Airline through Baton Rouge becomes a more viable hub with commercial activity and links to arterial roads....which is what it always was and always should be.

Like you said...it has to be done right. An elevated expressway the entire route is not going to work. The feeder roads would have to be constructed first, then the freeway would have to be built in the median using much of the existing surface.

It just depends on how it's built. In Houston, you are often forced onto the feeders to do your business, which is more of a hassle than a surface road.

A toll road would have even more traffic on the feeders trying to avoid paying the tolls.

I'm interested in seeing how these intersections will be rebuilt.

The hard part is going to be between Florida and I12. The other areas at quick glance seem to have enough right of way to make this work. Personally, having lived in Texas for a little while I miss the feeder roads. When there is an accident there is a viable alternative around and it give room to spread out business along the interstate versus just at every intersection. To me when you figure out how to use them to your advantage they are just that, an advantage.

I don't miss them, while they do offer a way out in the case of an accident, they take development from surface roads and force you to use the feeders, which get congested pretty easily.

• Like 1

Hey Southdowns appreciate the post :thumbsup: Nice to see the old Advocate site being put to use again!

Looks like this IBM development has already triggered another game-changing 17-story mixed-use project nearby;  at the parking lot next to the new Hampton Inn...Laurel Street/Lafayette Street & Third........with a nice "main" entrance  between the older linear buildings along Third Street. Ground level should have a cleaners & restaurant...The amount of office space still undisclosed...the condo's on the upper floors with a sweet penthouse suite already bought by Coach Les Miles with his new big time $$contract$$$!

westgate1.jpg

You can find this latest breaking news on AprilFools.org or is that net?? :silly:

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 2