Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

I am guessing the downtown post office can accommodate all the new workers ? I have not heard of any expansion plans. The Bluebonnet branch will be expanding.

That's more good news for downtown ! This will mean about 2,150 new workers before the end of the Summer.

BR Business Report Real Estate Weekly

june13prop3pl.jpg

Very cool. 546 rooms in a hospital is pretty large. That must be Baton Rouge's largest hospital, aside from LSU? At least I'm assuming LSU has a hospital there if they have one in Shreveport and one in New Orleans. Or does the New Orleans location serve that entire southeast Louisiana region?

Very cool. 546 rooms in a hospital is pretty large. That must be Baton Rouge's largest hospital, aside from LSU? At least I'm assuming LSU has a hospital there if they have one in Shreveport and one in New Orleans. Or does the New Orleans location serve that entire southeast Louisiana region?

Earl K Long is the LSU facility in Baton Rouge. The largest Hospital in BR is Our Lady of the Lake Hospital. It has 763 beds.

In the near future LSU wants to build a NEW University Hospital somewhere in the medical corridor. Maybe between OLOL and the BR General at Bluebonnet. EKL will shut down soon, and be replaced by the North BR Clinic that plans on opening by 2008 (post #236 by NCB) just down the road.

Building plan to upgrade LSU campus; $241 million project will facilitate "flagship" status.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/3102631.html

The renderings in Sunday newspaper of the new 4-story addition to the Student Union looked great !

Thanks for posting that, Richy...been hearing about these projects for awhile now. It's exciting to see a real announcement. Since about march the renderings for the Union addition have been up in the Union. They are nice!

....The article's dead-on about the demand for parking on campus.

I'm all for getting rid of the hideous Kirby Smith Hall. I never lived there, but I had friends who did. Grim is the most accurate word for the building. Take it down as swiftly as possible. Anyone have a rendering of the addition to the Union?

I'm all for getting rid of the hideous Kirby Smith Hall. I never lived there, but I had friends who did. Grim is the most accurate word for the building. Take it down as swiftly as possible. Anyone have a rendering of the addition to the Union?

http://appl003.lsu.edu/slas/lsuunion.nsf/&...EntranceWeb.jpg

Southeast addition

http://appl003.lsu.edu/slas/lsuunion.nsf/&...veOakLounge.pdf

Live Oak Lounge

http://appl003.lsu.edu/slas/lsuunion.nsf/&...estEntrance.pdf

West Entrance

http://appl003.lsu.edu/slas/lsuunion.nsf/&...OverallView.pdf

West Overall

http://appl003.lsu.edu/slas/lsuunion.nsf/&...ws?OpenDocument

I once stayed in Kirby Smith for a week as a kid. I found it funny they compared it to an institutionalized setting; not very good.

Tearing it down is a good idea, but I would like to see a nicer bldg. still keep the 13-story height.

Southgate Towers is about to start another phase, including it's tallest condo recently approved for 18-stories !!! I can't wait ! LSU is currently in the middle of a building BOOM all around the fringes of campus too

I once stayed in Kirby Smith for a week as a kid. I found it funny they compared it to an institutionalized setting; not very good.

Tearing it down is a good idea, but I would like to see a nicer bldg. still keep the 13-story height.

Southgate Towers is about to start another phase, including it's tallest condo recently approved for 18-stories !!! I can't wait ! LSU is currently in the middle of a building BOOM all around the fringes of campus too

I disagree. Having a 13 story building is way out of proportion. Tearing it down and expanding the east campus apartments would be so much more beneficial. It's not worth having something just because it's tall. Kirby-Smith is niether a feather in LSU's cap nor a feather in Baton Rouge's cap.

Here's a pic of Kirby-Smith from Emporis: Kirby Smith Hall You can see it coming down the I-10 bridge along with the bell tower and Tiger Stadium.

As far as the dorms go, uninviting and isolated are words I would use to describe them. Also, not really a good place to study. That's just my opinion though, I didn't live there and some say they like living in Kirby Smith. I'm looking forward to seeing something in its place!

Unbelievable = both of those photos.

:shok:

How the hell are people in that area adjusting!? It's one thing to visit a city like Houston or Dallas where that is the norm, but to adjust to living like that... literally overnight... has got to be unnerving.

i have to smile a little at that. it really sucks. coming from a bigger city, not huge or anything, i dont think that we have traffic like that.

Thanks Brian for posting this. As I understand(just heard this last week) it the Supreme Court will get to it in October for some reason. And groundbreaking/construction would begin at the earliest in late 07'. That really sucks. It has been to court a few times already; one obstacle after another. 83% of the Parish voted for the projects special tax increments. I have grown tired of waiting. Too far in the future to give much thought to now.

Cabela's in Gonzales will be going to the Supreme Court sooner. Not sure if it's late July or what ?

Edited by richyb83