Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

I couldn't find the old articles, but wasn't Shaw supposed to bring 700 Jobs and up to 1200 jobs over the next 7 years or so, to Baton Rouge?

Can't find anything about that in particular, but performance based incentives are common practice in Louisiana. If the criteria isn't met by a certain timeframe the tax rebates capitulate.

The flip side is that a plant opens with 300 of the promised 500 jobs.....the company will still get some incentive since they are often tied to the payroll tax of that firm.

Now Jindal and the Chamber are congratulating themselves on bringing 400 jobs to Baton Rouge instead?

I know that Jindal cannot do right by some people, but thia seems like a very worthy celebration considering the company was just bought out. It should ease some fears around Louisiana.

I'm not a huge fan of the practice of selective tax incentives and rebates, but there is no question that they work pretty well in Louisiana's case.

Edited by cajun

I keep stressing that point but you are so caught up on Jindal. Why?

A big hand in government using their influence and your tax dollars to target specific businesses (and their owners) is a populist, liberal practice that's been around in Louisiana for a while. Seems foolish to be upset with Jindal but not his predecessors....all of which were desperate to bring recovery to a state whose image was shattered by a corrupt former Govenor who may or may not be on a reality show.

Edited by cajun

Good, positive article in Forbes about potential economic growth and business climate in Louisiana here: http://www.forbes.com/sites/adrianalopez/2013/01/03/americas-new-frontier-for-business-opportunity/

Neat picture of the Capitol building too.

This article in the Advocate this morning seems to reiterate some of these points.

http://theadvocate.com/home/6594288-125/forecast-metro-br-area-labor

This article in the Advocate this morning seems to reiterate some of these points.

http://theadvocate.com/home/6594288-125/forecast-metro-br-area-labor

It's so strange....for years growing up in SE Texas and Louisiana, we've always considered our home state to be backwards and corrupt. They've got their head on straight finally.

There are great reasons to be optimistic about the Louisiana economy- especially in the southern portion of the state.

The question remains: how do we screw this up? How does Louisiana snatch defeat from the jaws of economic victory this time?

I honestly think a significant investment into transportation infrastructure is one of the only things keeping the capital area from seeing an explosion of growth

Edited by cajun

I honestly think a significant investment into transportation infrastructure is one of the only things keeping the capital area from seeing an explosion of growth

There are a lot of things. Off the top of my head:

1) Poor schools.

2) Lack of skilled workforce training (technical schools).

3) Lack of good land (direct access to the Interstate and isn't in a flood zone or within proximity to a flood zone)

4) Taxes, taxes, taxes.

5) Affluent neighborhoods (read: nice neighborhoods/parts of town executives can see their families in).

Do you enjoy putting down my ideas? If the city keeps a mentality of "Never happening" then noting will ever get created. Improvements have to start somewhere.

I disagreed with your idea of the Olympics coming to Baton Rouge. I disagreed with your idea that Shaw is still somehow still alive. I diagree that high speed rail is going to come to Baton Rouge. Sorry I don't agree with those three ideas. Don't take offense to those who don't share your opinions.

If I'm a naysayer because I know the Olympics will never take place in Baton Rouge then I'm a naysayer. So be it.

Edited by itsjustme3

I disagreed with your idea of the Olympics coming to Baton Rouge. I disagreed with your idea that Shaw is still somehow still alive. I diagree that high speed rail is going to come to Baton Rouge. Sorry I don't agree with those three ideas. Don't take offense to those who don't share your opinions.

I honestly don't care if you like my ideas. Shaw is a fact; think about it :why would Bernhardt sell all of that for 3 billion? Next the idea never said high speed rail would come, but suggested it along with other fantastic transportation ideas. I understand that my ideas may seem far fetched or unrealistic but they have got to start somewhere and I don't care if you agree or disagree with my views. 

I honestly don't care if you like my ideas. Shaw is a fact; think about it :why would Bernhardt sell all of that for 3 billion? Next the idea never said high speed rail would come, but suggested it along with other fantastic transportation ideas. I understand that my ideas may seem far fetched or unrealistic but they have got to start somewhere and I don't care if you agree or disagree with my views.

If you don't care why are you asking why I am putting down your ideas? There is a ignore feature so if you do care I would encourage you to add me to your ignore list.

I won't even argue the ridiculous Shaw conspiracy theory. That's just straight nonsense.

If you don't care why are you asking why I am putting down your ideas? There is a ignore feature so if you do care I would encourage you to add me to your ignore list.

I won't even argue the ridiculous Shaw conspiracy theory. That's just straight nonsense.

The only reason why is because you seem to target me. Also I will not explain where I got the 'Shaw conspiracy theory' because you most likely will not believe me and I don't want to harm the informers.

We've managed to stay on topic for 139 pages, let's keep it that way. :stop:

^

What do you think BR could do to improve growth and development? I think that we should let Tarhan Architects design some more stuff I love the arch!

Architects aren't going to grow anything. What we need are better schools, less murders, more jobs, and better transportation infrastructure. Wouldn't hurt to actually try and fund LSU.

We've managed to stay on topic for 139 pages, let's keep it that way. :stop:

Architects aren't going to grow anything. What we need are better schools, less murders, more jobs, and better transportation infrastructure. Wouldn't hurt to actually try and fund LSU.

LOL, at least they are building a business center. I really hope the next Governor keeps Jindals economics and takes a charge in fixing up the educational system. I would also like to see the buses phased out and replaced with a light rail system. Those things would really put the city in the right direction for progress.

• Like 1

LOL, at least they are building a business center. I really hope the next Governor keeps Jindals economics and takes a charge in fixing up the educational system. I would also like to see the buses phased out and replaced with a light rail system. Those things would really put the city in the right direction for progress.

LSU should be much larger and much higher in national rankings. A flagship university shouldn't be barely making the top 200. Jindal's economics include destroying higher education, although he has done a decent job getting companies and jobs here.

You cannot phase out the bus system, a rail network without a working bus system is like driving a car with no suspension. The reason why the Nicholson line never caught traction is the lack of support, along with the lack of a decent bus system.

LSU should be much larger and much higher in national rankings. A flagship university shouldn't be barely making the top 200. Jindal's economics include destroying higher education, although he has done a decent job getting companies and jobs here.

You cannot phase out the bus system, a rail network without a working bus system is like driving a car with no suspension. The reason why the Nicholson line never caught traction is the lack of support, along with the lack of a decent bus system.

Well then I guess we should fix all of those things. Yet it's sad that education is bartered with economic prosperity. 

It's so strange....for years growing up in SE Texas and Louisiana, we've always considered our home state to be backwards and corrupt. They've got their head on straight finally.

There are great reasons to be optimistic about the Louisiana economy- especially in the southern portion of the state.

The question remains: how do we screw this up? How does Louisiana snatch defeat from the jaws of economic victory this time?

I agree that our transportation infrastructure is in severe need of upgrade. As much as there is an "urban movement" and a strong focus of recentralizing living and work to downtown, its obvious that these jobs are the type that will cause the city to geographically grow.

I hope that growth in undeveloped EBRP and into Ascension/Livingston is better planned than the way EBRP is now. Dallas and Houston and Atlanta are mammoth suburben metropolitan areas. But each has a strong downtown center with thoughtful planning out.

Baton Rouge can be that way as Gonzales and Denham Springs become the major metropolitan suburbs of the greater BR region, better highway infrastructure leading to smarter city streets will allow the area to flourish quickly.

• Like 1