Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

How long before that school is broken into? Even with the cop depot station nearby.

Also, the school will hold over 800 students. It's not a good location traffic wise either.

Don't care. Allows kids a way out of the craptastic public schools. If they do even a half decent job, they can paint the building hot pink and place it in the middle of College drive. Edited by cajun

THRIVE charter school looking to build new campus on Brightside

THRIVE Baton Rouge, a charter boarding school that serves at-risk students from East Baton Rouge Parish, has filed plans with the Planning Commission to develop a new campus at 2585 Brightside Drive that will include classroom buildings, dormitories and athletic facilities. THRIVE founder and Executive Director Sarah Broome says the school has signed a purchase agreement for $1.2 million to acquire the 7.4-acre site, which is owned by the Diocese of Baton Rouge, and is in the middle of a capital campaign to finance the land acquisition. "We are hopeful about completing the funding, we're just not quite there yet," says Broome, who confirms she received a $400,000 commitment earlier today from the Charles Lamar Family Foundation to support the project. Broome, 27, came to Baton Rouge in 2008 with Teach for America and founded THRIVE in 2011. Now in its second year, the school is currently housed in the Family and Youth Services Center on Government Street and has 50 students in sixth and seventh grades. Plans for the school's new campus, which would open for the 2015 school year, include middle school and high school classroom buildings, a three-story dormitory consisting of 108 rooms and a gym. A subsequent phase, slated to open by 2018, includes a second dormitory. Broome says THRIVE is hoping to raise $1.6 million total to cover both the cost of the land acquisition and the initial surveying, mitigation and infrastructure work. She says the school's plans call for leveraging that initial investment to finance the construction phase of the project. —Stephanie Riegel

Businessreport.com

The concrete "super structure"? is going up; part of the 4-story garage...wonder how that's going to look driving along Perkins Rd.? being the Tallest building in The District...

The District begins rising over Perkins Road

It has been nearly two months since construction crews broke ground on The District, a 312-unit apartment complex on Perkins Road, and the fruits of their labor are suddenly very visible from the busy thoroughfare. According to Rebecca Rainer, a spokeswoman for Vintala Partners, which is developing the project, the large, concrete superstructure going up on the 11-acre site is the frame of a four-story, 439-space parking garage that will be enclosed within the apartment building. "There are a total of 268 concrete pieces," says Rainer. "The garage is the internal feature; the apartments will be around the perimeter of the structure." Construction on the actual apartments is scheduled to begin in late October, with an expected completion date of November 2014. When done, The District will have 312 one- and two-bedroom units, plus a 5,000-square-foot clubhouse and leasing office. Rents on the one- and two-bedroom apartments will range from $950 to $1,350 per month. The project is estimated to cost about $33 million. The apartments, which are being designed by JHP Architecture & Urban Design of Dallas, will be built on property formerly owned by Coastal Bridge at 5842 Perkins Road, near Pollard Parkway. Vintala—a venture developers Stephen Keller and Clay Likover established in 2012—bought the land in December for $4.68 million

http://www.businessreport.com/section/daily-reportPM

The concrete "super structure"? is going up; part of the 4-story garage...wonder how that's going to look driving along Perkins Rd.? being the Tallest building in The District...

The District begins rising over Perkins Road

It has been nearly two months since construction crews broke ground on The District, a 312-unit apartment complex on Perkins Road, and the fruits of their labor are suddenly very visible from the busy thoroughfare. According to Rebecca Rainer, a spokeswoman for Vintala Partners, which is developing the project, the large, concrete superstructure going up on the 11-acre site is the frame of a four-story, 439-space parking garage that will be enclosed within the apartment building. "There are a total of 268 concrete pieces," says Rainer. "The garage is the internal feature; the apartments will be around the perimeter of the structure." Construction on the actual apartments is scheduled to begin in late October, with an expected completion date of November 2014. When done, The District will have 312 one- and two-bedroom units, plus a 5,000-square-foot clubhouse and leasing office. Rents on the one- and two-bedroom apartments will range from $950 to $1,350 per month. The project is estimated to cost about $33 million. The apartments, which are being designed by JHP Architecture & Urban Design of Dallas, will be built on property formerly owned by Coastal Bridge at 5842 Perkins Road, near Pollard Parkway. Vintala—a venture developers Stephen Keller and Clay Likover established in 2012—bought the land in December for $4.68 million

http://www.businessreport.com/section/daily-reportPM

I drive by this everyday and am pleasantly surprised to see that the District is an apartment development. Nice addition to a underdeveloped stretch of Perkins

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I work in the tech park area off Florida but live off of hwy 42 in prairieville close to hwy42/hwy44. From my perspective (concerning daily commute) the biggest problem I face is Hwy 42 itself, Airline from Hwy 42 to Highland, and finally Airline Hwy around Parkview Baptist. These are the specifics of those problems.

• Hwy 42 from LA44 to Airline needs to be widened. This project is going to be started this fall with utility moves and then next summer they will start the road work. We are looking at probably a late 2016 or early 2017  completion date at best. The only fix is to add capacity (driving lanes) and turn lanes. At least this is being addressed. The second part is the school busses run during all parts of the morning. I've seen them out at 630 and I've seen them out at 730.
  • Airline Hwy from LA42 to Highland. The true problem here starts with the light at LA73 in Prairieville. The issue is simple, they need more driving lanes. DOTD reworked the intersection at LA42 to include Jturns. I will say that it has helped traffic on 42 but made the problem on Airline worse. I still am curious as to what the effects will be when school starts. Between LA42 and Old Perkins the road is already widened however since it's only a mile they have it stripped as turn lanes. The other main issue with this part of the road is Highland. They have to make the light sequence stay green long enough to help highland out between LA73 and Airline. It's a short distance of about half a mile however it's a three lane road (1 each direction + 1 center turn lane). This road stacks very badly so the light for them stays green longer then it should causing traffic to backup on Airline. I know DOTD will never put an overpass here but it would be the best outcome. They also should and hopefully will add an extra driving lane to this short segment of highland.
  • Airline Hwy around Parkview is just a matter of two-four laned roads merging into each other with only two continuous lanes. They need to have airline be 4 lanes for the stretch of road that is shared with HWY73. Northbound is almost always stacked morning and evening. The southbound left turn lanes onto Jefferson have a very long green light (which it needs) but this causes the north bound lanes to stack.

My wife and I for our next house are considering moving back to EBR just to avoid 1 & 2. There are still good areas in EBR and our low satisfaction primarily stems from traffic and lack of planning in Ascension parish. The only thing that keeps us is the fact that Ascension has really good schools. Livingston also has decent schools so we may decide to move a little further north but I don't think in 2 years we will be living in Ascension parish. I know several of our neighbors are very unhappy with the area and would move back to EBR if it weren't for the schools. Some have said screw it and moved anyway and are paying for private school if they can afford to.

we will probably be moving out of ascension parish in the next 3 to 5 years.

The city of Gonzales can't get their head out their butts. Look how long it took for them to put a turn lane at cornerview and 44.

its amazing about those invisible turn lanes on airline to 44 and 44 to 30.

The lack of planning and construction is stupid. 44 is 4 lanes and areas without a turn lane? WTF?  

How about the lack of stop signs in neighborhood?? I have speeders in my neighborhood, and there is no way my son will ever play in the street like i did as a kid, with these idiots.

the city workers have no idea what they are doing...i have been having standing water in my ditch for over 5 years now. They know where the leak is....they don't wanna fix it!!! LAZY mother f***ers...... thanks to the standing water...i have twice the amount of mosquitos than my neighbors...and you try to bring out a infant and not get bit..

Idk how many times the city has gotten request from my lawyer about the drainage. I think its about time i just wait till i get the West Nile Virus and sue the heck out of the City of Gonzales and Their lazy Drainage Employee's.

sorry for the rant.... :good:

• Like 1

we will probably be moving out of ascension parish in the next 3 to 5 years.

The city of Gonzales can't get their head out their butts. Look how long it took for them to put a turn lane at cornerview and 44.

its amazing about those invisible turn lanes on airline to 44 and 44 to 30.

The lack of planning and construction is stupid. 44 is 4 lanes and areas without a turn lane? WTF?  

How about the lack of stop signs in neighborhood?? I have speeders in my neighborhood, and there is no way my son will ever play in the street like i did as a kid, with these idiots.

the city workers have no idea what they are doing...i have been having standing water in my ditch for over 5 years now. They know where the leak is....they don't wanna fix it!!! LAZY mother f***ers...... thanks to the standing water...i have twice the amount of mosquitos than my neighbors...and you try to bring out a infant and not get bit..

Idk how many times the city has gotten request from my lawyer about the drainage. I think its about time i just wait till i get the West Nile Virus and sue the heck out of the City of Gonzales and Their lazy Drainage Employee's.

sorry for the rant.... :good:

Consider your rant totally justified. All things listed are a few reasons why I will never Live in either Ascension or Livingston Parish at the rate they are going. If I ever make it back to BR (fingers crossed), I will be living inside the city. Not that BR doesn't have problems with infrastructure. But for Heaven's sake, at least drainage is covered more often than not. I feel that's not too much to ask for. 

Edited by garrett_225

Consider your rant totally justified. All things listed are a few reasons why I will never Live in either Ascension or Livingston Parish at the rate they are going. If I ever make it back to BR (fingers crossed), I will be living inside the city. Not that BR doesn't have problems with infrastructure. But for Heaven's sake, at least drainage is covered more often than not. I feel that's not too much to ask for. 

There's too much open drainage all over the metro area, for that matter.

Real Estate Property of the Week

AR-131009826.jpg

Vintala Partners broke ground in late July on The District, a 312-unit apartment complex on Perkins Road near Dawson Creek. Pictured here is the frame of a four-story, 439-space parking garage. Construction on the apartments is scheduled to begin in late October, with an expected completion date of November 2014.

Gauge maker moving from Houston to EBR

Jogler, a liquid level gauge manufacturer, today announced plans to relocate its headquarters and manufacturing facility from Houston to East Baton Rouge Parish. Officials say the relocation will involve a $1.1 million investment and create 60 permanent direct jobs, with an average salary of $59,300 per year plus benefits. Jogler manufactures liquid level indicators, sight flow indicators, magnetic level indicators, level controls and other accessories for process industries. The company is leasing a 17,000-square-foot facility in the Industriplex Boulevard area on Siegen Lane, according to LED, and is upgrading the site to support its manufacturing lines. The company plans to move into the facility in November. Hiring is expected to begin this month, and the company says it will fill the 60 positions within 10 years. “We plan to build Jogler LLC into a market leader through technological advancement, increased operating efficiencies and superior customer service with the help of our workforce in Louisiana,” says Jogler President Tony Harper in a prepared statement. Harper purchased the 50-year-old company in June. Jogler is expected to utilize FastStart, the state’s workforce training program, for certain projects, along with the Quality Jobs and Industrial Tax Exemption programs. —Staff report

Businessreport.com

Edited by steve3n8
  • Like 1

Siegen Lane tract under contract for new car wash

Geaux Clean, a locally owned express car wash business, has plans to open a fourth location on Siegen Lane between Industriplex Boulevard and Cloverland Avenue. The company recently signed a purchase agreement for $720,000 to acquire a 1.14-acre tract next to Champs Collision Center and has filed to rezone the property from rural to light commercial, according to Mark Hebert of Kurz & Hebert Commercial Real Estate, who represents the buyer. The sale is expected to close by the end of the year. Geaux Clean opened its first location in Central four years ago. A second location on Highland Road between Airline and Jefferson highways opened last year, while a third location at Burbank Drive and Bluebonnet Boulevard is currently under construction. General manager Vince Ward says the market for express car wash services is strong in Baton Rouge, and there is plenty of demand. "This is just a nice deal to get into," Ward says. "In Detroit there are 60 facilities like this in a 50-mile radius. It's a good business to be in all over the country, and Baton Rouge is no exception." —Stephanie Riegel

Businessreport.com

B.R. firm building data center at Bon Carré

Venyu, a Baton Rouge-based provider of cloud services that was acquired by EATEL last month, is constructing a new 15,000-square-foot data center adjacent to its existing space in the Bon Carré Business Center on Florida Boulevard. The new center—which is being built in the space once occupied by the movie theater at the old Bon Marché mall—will be about half the size of the firm's existing facility, says Venyu Vice President of Marketing Matt Wallace. "But what's different and special about this is not only the physical capacity we're adding, but we're also including more power redundancy to our platform and increasing the power density," Wallace says. "What we're finding is that as technology moves faster and faster, the demands on servers are increasing, and they're actually using more power than they have in the past. So, this new facility will have more power per square foot than our facility now." Work on the new center has already begun, and it's expected to be complete by April next year. From its two data centers in Louisiana—there's another one in Shreveport—Venyu serves more than 1,200 customers across industries ranging from government, professional sports and insurance to health care and nonprofits. —Steve Sanoski

Businessreport.com

• Like 1