Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

It looks like an air vent that belongs on the roof of some factory.

It does, doesn't it?

I was going to say that it looks like a drive through trash container or a coach's whistle....but exhaust vent works better.

Edited by cajun

Wish they went for a more Baton Rouge High like building. It would have added some much needed architectural variety downtown. When building overly modern buildings like this you have an outdated building in 20 years. Just like what happened to the old one...

You're wondering why a library, full of out dated books aka a relic to the past, isn't thinking or planning ahead? C'mon.

Paper is the most enduring medium for storing information. People have been using books for thousands of years. How many years did the floppy disk last?

A library is worth every dollar if only to store books. There will come a day when technology fails us and paper will be all we have to fall back on. 

Edited by garrett_225

Paper is the most enduring medium for storing information. People have been using books for thousands of years. How many years did the floppy disk last?

A library is worth every dollar if only to store books. There will come a day when technology fails us and paper will be all we have to fall back on.

"A horse and buggy is worth every dollar if only to travel. There will come a day when technology fails us and the horse and buggy will be all we have to fall back on."

- a guy in 1914

"A horse and buggy is worth every dollar if only to travel. There will come a day when technology fails us and the horse and buggy will be all we have to fall back on."

- a guy in 1914

And as we enter the final years of gas-powered engine viability, it looks like that guy in 1914 was right on the money. 

Edited by garrett_225

Which provides much more than books and old Dell computers.

It's $50 million better spent on world class digital infrastructure....which will be needed to perform the basic functions of a library in the most efficient way possible. That building is obsolete before they even build it.

Edited by cajun

While digital information is shared, reformatted, reshared, reformatted again, and exchanged efficiently forever.....paper (and the square footage to store it) is flammable, degradable, and often not replaced when works go out of print.

The physical needs of a library have changed dramatically in the past 30 years. Building a giant facility (and a hideous one at that) on prime real estate to perform a 20th century function is a colossal waste of money.

Edited by cajun

While digital information is shared, reformatted, reshared, reformatted again, and exchanged efficiently forever.....paper (and the square footage to store it) is flammable, degradable, and often not replaced when works go out of print.

At my local library, technology goes haywire more often than the building catches fire or floods.  

Technology assumes there will always be a readily available source of energy to power it all. To me, that assumption makes technology appear much more fragile than a sheet of paper. Call me crazy. 

You're clearly overlooking the community meeting space

We need that space desperately. Where else will community meetings be held? At the neighboring town square? Please. 

Edited by garrett_225

• 4 weeks later...

PLANS FOR RIVER DISTRICT REVEALED: 

http://theadvocate.com/home/8214042-125/river-district-seen-as-nicholson

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=152976&page=10

rvrdist1.jpgrvrdist5.jpg

rvrdist2.jpg

rvrdist4.jpg

rvrdist6.jpg

rvrdist7.jpg

rvrdist3.jpg

Plans for the River District, a mixed-use project of residential units, office buildings and retail space that will be developed along Nicholson Drive between LSU and downtown were presented yesterday (January 27th, 2014).

The project, as proposed, will be developed on 34.8 acres on both sides of Nicholson. Plans have been in the works for six years but were stalled by the national recession. Plans for the development include: 1,800 residential units—both condos and apartments—a 220-room hotel, 100,000 square feet of office space and 100,000 square feet of commercial space, including a 40,000-square-foot neighborhood grocery store or drugstore. 

note* the development is adjacent to and immediately south of the recently announced Water Institute of the Gulf (Water Campus)" 

I am beyond excited at this point, On another note I'm hearing rumors that Audubon Alive is Alive again. I'm ready for the BR Opera House!

• Like 1

Where did you hear about Audubon Alive Timelordnerd?

That's awesome if its true!

One of my teachers is good friends with some high up people in the DDD; can't say too much. All I know is that with the recent development, and the projects yet to be announced, the Mayor is hopeful he can launch it again with more success. Apparently it will tie in with the redevelopment of Desoto Park, the plan is to keep a Sydney Opera House like feel. 

Would not be surprised if they just updated this: aliveleadartncap1.jpg

Still think that this really would have been great for BR, a real game changer. Seems like we have so many of those now, BR truly is ALIVE.

• Like 3