Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

"BUMP - Baton Rouge Urban Renewal & Mobility Plan"

Urban Renewal? What is this, 1960? I suppose our local representatives haven't been told that highways and loop roads prohibit urban renewal, not support it...

This plan is a mess, I am sure we can all find better ways to spend 1 Billion than a 4 lane highway, am I right? :alc:

• Like 1

Unlike the I-410 proposal, thank you garrett_225 for your comment, at least using Airline would make it a conversion project and not a project from the ground up. I'm assuming that it's cheaper to rebuild as opposed to building from scratch.

The 410 was going to be an upgraded Airline, if I'm not mistaken. Which I very well could be, since I wasn't around back then. 

Overall, I wish they'd just take the 1 billion and use it to fix I-10 between La 415 and College Drive. 

Edited by garrett_225

Oh wow.  I'm excited to see these type of plans for Airline. I have always believed it should be turned into a freeway.  However,  2 lanes on each side within BR city limits is too little.  I would hope at least 3 lanes on each side from I-110 south to HWY 61.  I also don't know about making this a toll road or at least the portion in BR City limits.  Seems like they need to do some studies on their revenue base.   It is exciting to see the I-10 connector!  Now that I didn't expect.  I think this could be a big help!

After looking at it again.  They need not to look at this as a loop.  We could use a loop sure, but this is not a loop.  This is just a needed improvement - Airline as a freeway.  No tolls, and yes bring on a loop too.

Edited by BRPJ
  • Like 1

In the article today, one of the proponents argued that this wouldn't hurt businesses on Airline "because people could just take the surface roads if they don't want to pay the toll."

I have to say, this does not make much sense to me. It might save businesses on Airline, but tell me why someone would "pay the toll" when they have the option of "not paying the toll" and still taking the same route? 

Are they expecting that the service roads will be slow enough that it will justify the toll if you are just passing thru the city or crossing town? Anyone have suggestions on how much the toll should be for a passenger car? $2.00? $4.00? 

Edited by garrett_225

Do you have a link to their picture Antrell?

It's here: http://theadvocate.com/home/8685305-125/plan-would-place-toll-road

In the article today, one of the proponents argued that this wouldn't hurt businesses on Airline "because people could just take the surface roads if they don't want to pay the toll."

I have to say, this does not make much sense to me. It might save businesses on Airline, but tell me why someone would "pay the toll" when they have the option of "not paying the toll" and still taking the same route? 

Are they expecting that the service roads will be slow enough that it will justify the toll if you are just passing thru the city or crossing town? Anyone have suggestions on how much the toll should be for a passenger car? $2.00? $4.00? 

In Houston I would use the feeder roads along the Beltway instead of using the Beltway itself, although this was during non-peak hours so I was able to do that. There was still plenty of people paying the toll, though. Taking feeders puts you in a much much slower situation with stop lights and traffic turning in and out of parking lots. The toll should be $0.00.

Those trucks are probably hopping from one "spur " to the next, e.g. I-10 west to I-45 south. People going straight through don't normally drive around, especially if it cost extra.

No those trucks will use the Beltway as well as the future Grand Parkway (Hwy 99) to bypass traffic. If traffic is heavy for a traveling family, GPS systems will often route you around loops, with or without tolls. The Florida Turnpike is tolled and is full of vehicular traffic.

I hope they set it up like the north texas toll authority does and have no toll booths. They capture your license plate and send you a bill once you hit $10. You can get a reduced rate by getting a toll tag. They bill per mile driven.

If this were completed today, I would gladly pay the toll and cut 10 minutes off of my drive.

Edited by all2neat