Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

Outer Chicago area has high speed tolling for people with "I-Pass" and "Pre-Pass." People who pay cash have little exits right next to the scanners where they take an exit lane, pay the toll, then re-enter the main road. I don't see how that can play into our new tollway system with the space available, but La could take lessons on efficiency.

So I was looking at the map, and considering how tight lipped our officials are, and Kips commitment to regenerate many parts of the city. I wonder if this toll road could possibly combine with a Florida blvd. project. Maybe something that connects the blvd. to the inner-state, something it needs BADLY.

So I was looking at the map, and considering how tight lipped our officials are, and Kips commitment to regenerate many parts of the city. I wonder if this toll road could possibly combine with a Florida blvd. project. Maybe something that connects the blvd. to the inner-state, something it needs BADLY.

Florida is already connected to the interstate. 

Even though I'm sure his intention was obvious to you, Florida Blvd does indeed have an interchange with I-110. Even then, I-12 is the reason for much of the decline on Florida Blvd, the wealthier Livingston residents don't patronize businesses on Florida, hence the blight and condition. Airline being turned into a freeway has nothing to do with Florida Blvd and it's renaissance, that lies solely upon the people who do business there.

Even though I'm sure his intention was obvious to you, Florida Blvd does indeed have an interchange with I-110. Even then, I-12 is the reason for much of the decline on Florida Blvd, the wealthier Livingston residents don't patronize businesses on Florida, hence the blight and condition. Airline being turned into a freeway has nothing to do with Florida Blvd and it's renaissance, that lies solely upon the people who do business there.

1) how can you have a conversation with someone who doesn't know that Florida connects to a interstate?

2) The "wealthy" people as you call them, or the "middle class" as they are better known, don't visit Florida because it's a dump. That's not a interstate problem.

Edited by itsjustme3

Really? That explains why Cortana and Bon Marche never went bankrupt. Florida is not connected well and does not have a connection that would be ideal to spurring some type of re-development.

Go to Baltimore someday. They have a ton of dead and dying malls that are right alongside major freeways. Connectivity isn't what killed Bon Marche...Cortana did. And connectivity isn't killing Cortana--a combination of a migrating customer base, safety perceptions, and heavy competition from other shopping centers is. Not to mention the overall decline in American shopping mall culture. 

Edited by garrett_225

Go to Baltimore someday. They have a ton of dead and dying malls that are right alongside major freeways. Connectivity isn't what killed Bon Marche...Cortana did. And connectivity isn't killing Cortana--a combination of a migrating customer base, safety perceptions, and heavy competition from other shopping centers is. Not to mention the overall decline in American shopping mall culture.

And most importantly, personal safety. If it's perceived as dangerous it will be avoided.

Bon Marche is statisticly the 25th most dangerous neighborhood in the US. That is why "rich" people avoid the area. You have a 1 in 15 chance of being a victim of a violent crime. My wife hates the idea that I work there. For most of us its a get in and out. We don't hang around because we don't want to be a statistic.

1) how can you have a conversation with someone who doesn't know that Florida connects to a interstate?

2) The "wealthy" people as you call them, or the "middle class" as they are better known, don't visit Florida because it's a dump. That's not a interstate problem.

How can you be so rude to a kid? Everyone knew what he meant. Another mention of that and posts will be deleted.

Be careful when reading, I said wealthier. Yes because I-12 was built which takes the demand for higher quality development to the exits of I-12 like Millerville, O"Neal, and Sherwood.

Bon Marche is statisticly the 25th most dangerous neighborhood in the US. That is why "rich" people avoid the area. You have a 1 in 15 chance of being a victim of a violent crime. My wife hates the idea that I work there. For most of us its a get in and out. We don't hang around because we don't want to be a statistic.

Do you have something to support that claim?

If you work inside Bon Carre, I'm not sure why'd you'd be afraid of anything. As if there's not 100 police officers a few hundred feet away.

I think what he is saying is that the area in general is dangerous for anyone, but it was not always that way to my understanding. @garrett ask anyone who lived during the fall of Cortanta and Bon Marche and they will tell you it was the inter-state connection. The Mall of LA was built with close proximity to I10 and so it was an easier mall to access then Cortana and Bon Marche for the majority of BR shoppers. Plus Florida was starting to get more dangerous around that time as well. So while many factors did contribute to the decline of those malls the main virus was the lack of easy inner-state connection. Same thing I have been saying all along.

I think what he is saying is that the area in general is dangerous for anyone, but it was not always that way to my understanding. @garrett ask anyone who lived during the fall of Cortanta and Bon Marche and they will tell you it was the inter-state connection. The Mall of LA was built with close proximity to I10 and so it was an easier mall to access then Cortana and Bon Marche for the majority of BR shoppers. Plus Florida was starting to get more dangerous around that time as well. So while many factors did contribute to the decline of those malls the main virus was the lack of easy inner-state connection. Same thing I have been saying all along.

Neighborhoods north of Florida, yes. But the area directly around Bon Carre isn't bad and I don't see a reason why anyone would be hanging out in Mall City. Just south of that you have $500k homes.

The interstate itself has nothing to do with the decline. That area grew because it was close enough to Baton Rouge for jobs but just outside of city limits. The Mall of LA was built after white flight had occurred and began to leave the Bon Marche/Cortana area. As poverty increased, so did the crime, which put the area in further decline. The fact that the Mall of LA is on I-10 has no bearing on the failure of Cortana or Bon Marche, they were in decline before and they were far away from the ideal tax base in Baton Rouge.

Neighborhoods north of Florida, yes. But the area directly around Bon Carre isn't bad and I don't see a reason why anyone would be hanging out in Mall City. Just south of that you have $500k homes.

The interstate itself has nothing to do with the decline. That area grew because it was close enough to Baton Rouge for jobs but just outside of city limits. The Mall of LA was built after white flight had occurred and began to leave the Bon Marche/Cortana area. As poverty increased, so did the crime, which put the area in further decline. The fact that the Mall of LA is on I-10 has no bearing on the failure of Cortana or Bon Marche, they were in decline before and they were far away from the ideal tax base in Baton Rouge.

You are on-point with this. 

Malls near freeways have failed (Lake Forest comes to mind--was pretty much a goner even before Katrina), just as malls pretty far removed from the interstate system have succeeded (Mall of Acadiana). 

I can ask myself, since I was alive when Bon Marche finally went down for the count, and I was around when Cortana was still fairly prosperous--and have witnessed its slow decline. 

Edited by garrett_225

Lack of inner-state connection? Huh? The area went to hell because of many reasons. None of which is a inner-state connection.

How can you be so rude to a kid? Everyone knew what he meant. Another mention of that and posts will be deleted.

Be careful when reading, I said wealthier. Yes because I-12 was built which takes the demand for higher quality development to the exits of I-12 like Millerville, O"Neal, and Sherwood.

Do you have something to support that claim?

If you work inside Bon Carre, I'm not sure why'd you'd be afraid of anything. As if there's not 100 police officers a few hundred feet away.

Yes, here: http://www.wafb.com/story/24841591/melrose-east-ranks-no-25-on-list-of-most-dangerous-neighborhoods-in-us

The only reason why there are that many cops is due to an office they have in the facility, which will be moving to the old Women's Hospital. I'm not afraid of the area during normal business hours but at night it can be a bit sketcy, especially if you are not on the side that fronts Florida. Our employees have had minor incidents in the parking lot. It's a matter of time and someone will have something serious happen. I do feel if you cut this Bon Carre park and make it its own neighborhood that it would not fall on the worst 25 UW list but I don't think it would rank very high either due to Mall City being in the back yard of Bon Carre.

This business complex is highly successful and something that should be modeled. I highly doubt I would have ever eaten at Tai Kitchen or the various places on Florida and Government if it weren't for working here.The whole area would be much worse off if this were a blighted old abandoned shopping mall.

Depending on peoples point of view, especially politically, how things are phrased can determine people's perception on a statement. Politically speaking there has been a lot of rhetoric about the top 1%, mostly negative, the last few years. It's hard online to know what people mean so I think a few of us mistook wealthier as if it had a negative connotation to it. It sounds like your intent was to say in general the people commuting from Livingston through the area are typically of a better socioeconomic status than the residents that live around Cortana which I would tend to agree is an accurate assumption.

Edited by all2neat