Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

Local, state incentives lure Bayou Country Superfest back to Baton Rouge for 2019

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/entertainment_life/music/article_f0561a84-048f-11e9-8ddc-b36a9f577a32.html

After two years in New Orleans, Bayou Country Superfest is returning to LSU's Tiger Stadium in 2019, lured in part by local and state financial incentives estimated at close to $1 million.

The Memorial Day weekend festival will hold its 10th edition on May 25-26, 2019, organizers announced Thursday.

After the festival moved to New Orleans, "there was an awful lot of conversation, a lot of questions from our industry partners: How can we get something like this back?" said Paul Arrigo, president of Visit Baton Rouge. "The restaurants, the hotels, everybody realized the significance of it."

Visit Baton Rouge is a sponsor for the 2019 festival along with the Louisiana Department of Culture, Recreation & Tourism; the City of Baton Rouge; and Bud Light.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing yet...guessing by late Spring ; early Summer we might be hearing something. I'd like to see the Sleek Residential Tower along the Riverfront come to fruition; even if it means it will only be 1/2 the height.  Might need to make a phone call...

If not....NOLA could be next in line..could see it working over in the South Market District near WWII Museum.

Thanks for dropping by otowntiger :thumbsup:  You posted Friday..but i'm just seeing this today for some reason?

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Exxon to move forward with Baton Rouge plant expansion, increase capacity by 450,000 tons

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_bf324ffa-3c33-11e9-8a83-8347f3031760.html

ExxonMobil said Friday it will move forward with a more than half-billion-dollar expansion of its polyolefins plant in north Baton Rouge, the oil and gas giant’s largest local capital project in nearly a decade.

The final investment decision comes a year after Exxon first announced it was considering the project, and just weeks after the company warned it might reduce its local investments after being rejected for two unrelated tax breaks by the East Baton Rouge school board.

Construction on the expansion will begin this year, Exxon said. It is expected to add 45 permanent jobs, 20 permanent contractor jobs and support 600 temporary construction workers. The project will add a new polypropylene line with a capacity of 450,000 tons a year, a unit that will start up in 2021.

On 3/2/2019 at 3:47 PM, richyb83 said:

Exxon to move forward with Baton Rouge plant expansion, increase capacity by 450,000 tons

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_bf324ffa-3c33-11e9-8a83-8347f3031760.html

ExxonMobil said Friday it will move forward with a more than half-billion-dollar expansion of its polyolefins plant in north Baton Rouge, the oil and gas giant’s largest local capital project in nearly a decade.

The final investment decision comes a year after Exxon first announced it was considering the project, and just weeks after the company warned it might reduce its local investments after being rejected for two unrelated tax breaks by the East Baton Rouge school board.

Construction on the expansion will begin this year, Exxon said. It is expected to add 45 permanent jobs, 20 permanent contractor jobs and support 600 temporary construction workers. The project will add a new polypropylene line with a capacity of 450,000 tons a year, a unit that will start up in 2021.

I guess standing firm works sometimes, lol.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, richyb83 said:

Always thought the I-12 Corridor needed a taller building making our city look bigger...this should look impressive!

On Interline Drive btwn Airline Hwy & Jefferson Hwy! Think this gets started later this Summer

image.thumb.png.a15a0eace123d8fe51fa476384f846e3.png

APRIL FOOL's  :w00t:

Lol! For a quarter of a second I thought this was going to be a new building for the Water Campus.

• 2 months later...

Yeah  Dan ...that mid-rise office building would look nice at the Water Campus:shades:

Hoping more positive things will happen for the decaying Florida Blvd corridor....feed off some of the Mid City renaissance ...maybe not the glory Days of 70's & 80's...but something

Some see potential in a Florida Boulevard rebirth

https://www.businessreport.com/business/florida-boulevard-potential

What can be done with the old Borden HQ's?

image.thumb.png.320062c63d29926a34f976bc2665235c.png

The old Blue Cross HQ's at 8 stories is the Tallest building East of Airline Hwy....Still vacant for many years

image.thumb.png.d4629d318eea9b4e13be79ac90ccb41d.png

Edited by richyb83

I read either that article or the one on the Advocate. They suggested trying to reduce the speed of or implement some sort of road diet on Florida to make it more pedestrian friendly and attractive; I'm sorry but I sure hope not since Florida is the auxiliary to I-10/12 which we all know how those can go...:wacko:

As my mom said I think the days of big-mallin' are over so I think the only thing they can really do with all these blighted properties are demolish and turn them into residential. Of course its difficult because most of the blight is on the wrong side of the tracks so to speak which scares people off.

Edited by dan326
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2019 at 9:52 AM, dan326 said:

I read either that article or the one on the Advocate. They suggested trying to reduce the speed of or implement some sort of road diet on Florida to make it more pedestrian friendly and attractive; I'm sorry but I sure hope not since Florida is the auxiliary to I-10/12 which we all know how those can go...:wacko:

As my mom said I think the days of big-mallin' are over so I think the only thing they can really do with all these blighted properties are demolish and turn them into residential. Of course its difficult because most of the blight is on the wrong side of the tracks so to speak which scares people off.

I think the future of those mall properties are in light industrial and distribution/flex space.    That kind of space is in demand, and those properties tend to be close to major highways/intersections.    

On 7/4/2019 at 12:52 AM, richyb83 said:

True Dan ...Florida Blvd does not need a Road - diet ...Crazy to think the Big Mallin' days are over ...but your Mom is probably right!

Spencer Callihan Office nearing completion at the foot of Miss River Bridge

IMG_0217.thumb.jpeg.49cb1b9c27c6ba7513a49eed667d3f90.jpeg

I feel like this guy is going to buy an old, nearly retired helicopter and  park it on the helipad on the roof to impress people.   They just seem like the type to do that.   

In any case, they have a very good piece of real estate.    Hard to miss their building from I-10, and it's very close to the downtown courthouses and legal community.

Edited by cajun
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2018 at 10:08 PM, richyb83 said:

10 acres is a lot..is it going to be a campus-like layout?  If not...they  outgrew 42,000 square ft office; a 4 story office building fronting O'Neal Lane would be cool. Very doubtful for sure.

Pelican State Credit Union building new headquarters on O’Neal

Pelican State Credit Union is building a new corporate headquarters and customer branch on 10 acres on O’Neal Lane, between Interstate 12 and South Harrells Ferry Road.  The new space will be the first WELL Building Standard certified office in Louisiana.

Construction on the new building, designed and built by Labarre Associates Inc. of Denham Springs, will start on Oct. 1 and should finish by December 2019, Porta says.

In 2009, Pelican State purchased the former Piccadilly corporate headquarters on South Sherwood Forest Boulevard, but in the last nine years the credit union outgrown the 42,000-square-foot building, Conrad says. They now have 130 employees at their corporate office.  

“It’s not just growth of people, its growth of branches, too,” Conrad says. There are five locations in the Baton Rouge region.

Almost a year later .....here it is......UNDER CONSTRUCTION the 55,410-square-foot new Pelican State Credit Union HQ's .   For being way out east on O'Neal Lane((abt 12 miles from Downtown?)) ;  office building this size is pretty impressive!  With footprint thought this may go 4 -floors; but at 3 is still pretty cool :shades:  near LA Boilers

IMG_0257.thumb.jpeg.b1dfa7e71101f3640ec23d1816ea63be.jpeg

Edited by richyb83

• 2 weeks later...

Baton Rouge has a legit chance of getting a New College Baseball Hall of Fame Museum; now that Lubbock TX plan fell thru.  But one mentioned Omaha too

Thanks for posting this greg225:thumbsup:

College Baseball Hall of Fame induction coming to Baton Rouge, so could a museum be next?

https://www.wafb.com/2019/08/05/college-baseball-hall-fame-induction-coming-baton-rouge-so-could-museum-be-next/

This was rendering for Lubbock TX; when it announced the plans fell thru back in April

image.png.94a610f9137c35df7539f6933bd8fbd0.png

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, richyb83 said:

Baton Rouge has a legit chance of getting a New College Baseball Hall of Fame Museum; now that Lubbock TX plan fell thru.  But one mentioned Omaha too

Thanks for posting this greg225:thumbsup:

College Baseball Hall of Fame induction coming to Baton Rouge, so could a museum be next?

https://www.wafb.com/2019/08/05/college-baseball-hall-fame-induction-coming-baton-rouge-so-could-museum-be-next/

This was rendering for Lubbock TX; when it announced the plans fell thru back in April

image.png.94a610f9137c35df7539f6933bd8fbd0.png

Would be very good for tourism.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

According to this random commenter on DeadMalls.com that's what's going to happen.

http://www.deadmalls.com/malls/cortana_mall.html

Also to be considered is the fact the current facility by Costco is a temporary tent structure and the fact is halfway between I-10 and the airport and between Houston, New Orleans, and Florida.

Of course the might also be similar to the Disney park - Livingston parish rumors.

Edit: I just read the article and it's been confirmed that it'll become a distribution center. Well that's cool.

Edited by dan326

16 minutes ago, dan326 said:

According to this random commenter on DeadMalls.com that's what's going to happen.

http://www.deadmalls.com/malls/cortana_mall.html

Also to be considered is the fact the current facility by Costco is a temporary tent structure and the fact is halfway between I-10 and the airport and between Houston, New Orleans, and Florida.

Of course the might also be similar to the Disney park - Livingston parish rumors.

Edit: I just read the article and it's been confirmed that it'll become a distribution center. Well that's cool.

It's definitely a great location for a distribution center would be great for the surrounding area. 

• Like 2