Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

OLOL announces plans for $100M cancer institute

https://www.businessreport.com/business/news-alert-olol-announces-plans-for-new-100m-cancer-institute?utm_campaign=news_alert-2021_Oct_04-14_29&utm_medium=email&utm_source=news_alert&oly_enc_id=6911F7561089J4A

Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center is investing $100 million to establish a new regional cancer center that will be branded as the Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Institute.

The investment will include construction of an estimated $60 million, 80,000-square-foot, freestanding building on OLOL’s Essen Lane campus that will include medical and surgical oncology practices, a chemotherapy/infusion center, imaging and diagnostic services, an on-site pharmacy and conference center.

The exact site for the facility has not been finalized, though OLOL officials say they have narrowed it to two locations and hope to break ground in 2022 with a 2024 completion date.

Probably a 3-4 level building somewhere off Hennessey Blvd.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

Carvana applying to build Baton Rouge location, its first in Louisiana 

https://www.businessreport.com/business/carvana-applying-to-build-baton-rouge-location-its-first-in-louisiana?utm_campaign=dr_pm-2021_Oct_04-15_01&utm_medium=email&utm_source=dr_pm&oly_enc_id=6911F7561089J4A

Online car seller Carvana submitted a rezoning request with the Baton Rouge Planning and Zoning Commission last week to build its first Louisiana location, on Reiger Road.

The company requested that the properties at 11331 and 11365 Reiger Road be rezoned from light industrial to heavy commercial two.

The roughly 6,000-square-foot store will be near the Gerry Lane Cadillac dealership and Ascension Golf Carts and Powersports. Alimorad Haghighi of Haghighi’s Persian Rug Gallery on Bluebonnet Boulevard owns the property.

On 10/4/2021 at 3:14 PM, cajun said:

Probably a 3-4 level building somewhere off Hennessey Blvd.

Agreed. What i was thinking too.

6 hours ago, cajun said:

NICE!!    So BR is going to get one of those cool "Car Towers"?? across from Top Golf will make that area have a little bump!   The one in Orlando was cool

Online used car dealer Carvana entering Louisiana market | Business |  theadvocate.com

19 hours ago, richyb83 said:

NICE!!    So BR is going to get one of those cool "Car Towers"?? across from Top Golf will make that area have a little bump!   The one in Orlando was cool

Online used car dealer Carvana entering Louisiana market | Business |  theadvocate.com

The nearest Carvana tower near my house was almost empty last time I drove by it.    That inventory shortage with new cars has translated to very high demand for used cars too, which means that there's not much inventory.    Since I kind of want to see one of these up in Baton Rouge, I hope that the market trends in the auto industry and construction industry don't discourage Carvana from building one.   

Edited by cajun

19 hours ago, richyb83 said:

There's an outside chance that the whole "mine is bigger than yours" thing will come into play with the new OLOL cancer center.   Mary Bird Perkins left their network abruptly, and they are going to want to make a splash to attract the best doctors and retain their patients.  

$80 million isn't very much especially with construction costs so high.   But I could definitely see a scenario where OLOL would prefer to build something large in a very visible location; although it would benefit them and their patients tremendously to have this facility attached to their current hospital and surgical center on Essen.    Sort of like how Mary Bird Perkins is today.

The best "F-you" I can think of would be for OLOL to build a bigger building right next to Mary Bird Perkins and build it closer to the street with much larger signage and font.   :)

Edited by cajun

21 hours ago, cajun said:

There's an outside chance that the whole "mine is bigger than yours" thing will come into play with the new OLOL cancer center.   Mary Bird Perkins left their network abruptly, and they are going to want to make a splash to attract the best doctors and retain their patients.  

$80 million isn't very much especially with construction costs so high.   But I could definitely see a scenario where OLOL would prefer to build something large in a very visible location; although it would benefit them and their patients tremendously to have this facility attached to their current hospital and surgical center on Essen.    Sort of like how Mary Bird Perkins is today.

The best "F-you" I can think of would be for OLOL to build a bigger building right next to Mary Bird Perkins and build it closer to the street with much larger signage and font.   :)

Lol! I didn't know all the background but I figured it had something to do with competition.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

image.png.e9e7161a57713777e8dad63c53687492.png

Wonder WHEN / IF the 18-story Summit @ Southgate ever gets built; so many high-rise proposals have turned out to be pipe-dreams...

>> It is supposed to go on the LEFT Tract between the Retail off Burbank and Staybridge suites & left  Southgate Tower where the  "brick-looking circle/roundabout  pattern :shades:

THANKS Cajun for the new developments!  Interesting era when the Woodale Tower (12 floors) and Mid City (old Republic Tower/14 floors) were BOTH built back in the  60's  and  70's.  

On 11/30/2021 at 5:48 PM, richyb83 said:

image.png.e9e7161a57713777e8dad63c53687492.png

Wonder WHEN / IF the 18-story Summit @ Southgate ever gets built; so many high-rise proposals have turned out to be pipe-dreams...

>> It is supposed to go on the LEFT Tract between the Retail off Burbank and Staybridge suites & left  Southgate Tower where the  "brick-looking circle/roundabout  pattern :shades:

THANKS Cajun for the new developments!  Interesting era when the Woodale Tower (12 floors) and Mid City (old Republic Tower/14 floors) were BOTH built back in the  60's  and  70's.  

I actually completely forgot about the old Summit tower.  

Southgate was kind of doing its own thing when it was built.  Now there must be at least 4-5 more student-focused housing developments of that size/scale around LSU now.   Including the new one they are about to build on Parker@Janet.

Hard to believe this thread was started so long ago ; now archived ...  wondered if i should have put this in LSU thread ?

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/47242-arlington-creek/

Interesting location for a hotel that is mentioned

Burbank-Lee shopping center sold for $30.6 million, new owner plans expansion

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_cb4b263c-5935-11ec-83fc-d7336ab6e0d5.html

Arlington Marketplace has been sold for $30.6 million to a California investor, which plans to expand the Rouses-anchored shopping center at the intersection of Burbank and West Lee drives.

Arlington Marketplace I LLC of Santa Maria, California, bought the shopping center in a deal filed Wednesday with the East Baton Rouge Clerk of Court’s Office. The seller was Eisenberg Co. of Phoenix, which developed the 125,000-square-foot shopping center.

The shopping center opened in 2018 and is 96% occupied. The Rouses location is ranked in the top 8% of all Louisiana grocery stores in terms of visitors

Other shopping center tenants include Smoothie King, AT&T, CC’s Coffee House, Ochsner Health Center and Wing Stop.

The new owners plan to market a 38,000-square-foot pad next to Rouses and plan to build more retail space, Langlois said. “The site would be great for a hotel as well,” he said, noting the shopping center’s proximity to LSU.

• 1 month later...

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/politics/article_1c00d3f6-7ca9-11ec-b293-0bf332fd4e10.html

Edwards is set to propose a significant spending commitment for roads and bridges, including a new bridge here which is expected to cost well over $1 billion.

The governor has scheduled a 2 p.m. press conference.

The effort for a new structure in Baton Rouge has been discussed for years but the lack of money and proper planning have been key stumbling blocks.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah it's not bad.  But wouldn't you want a balcony in Louisiana?   I would prefer if they left some space for retail on the first floor on the corner....even if it's just for a little C store or coffee shop.    As the area develops, there will be demand for that kind of thing.

On the bright side, I'm assuming they are building this because they think there is demand for residential space.   And it will probably only help make the Water Campus more viable, especially if LADOTD gets the Nicholson Drive improvement project underway.   Not sure what their delay is, but they are planning to replace the pavement, foundation, drainage, and sidewalks along that stretch between LSU and Beauregard Town.

Edited by cajun

Could have put in restaurant thread ...Tsunami put the hip in downtown dining on the Shaw Center for the Arts rooftop deck....

But the 2nd (new) location is at the interesting mixed-use Highland development ...When this is all complete will need to go check it out! Interesting property location adjacent  to the Bluebonnet Swamp!

Judging by the Renderings on the website the this building could be 4 or 5 stories?

Tsunami plans second Baton Rouge location, see where it will be

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_6d971aa8-8ddf-11ec-bac4-cbdd78e8a3b1.html

The upscale nature of Tsunami and its sleek design align with the goals of making @Highland a technology campus, Chadwick said. The owners of the restaurant also like the idea that the two locations are on opposite sides of the city, which allows Tsunami to serve the whole market.

@Highland had been looking for a tenant that would bring high-end restaurant service to the Highland-Bluebonnet area. “We think Tsunami does that quite well,” Chadwick said.

Tsunami also has locations in Lafayette and New Orleans.

With the Tsunami deal, all of the retail space in @Highland has been claimed. Work is set to start soon on a second building, which will feature up to 240 apartments and 25,000 square feet of commercial and office space.

PHASE TWO Announcement Coming Soon

https://athighland.com/

BR.tsunamiliv.042821 HS 014.JPG

Edited by richyb83