Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

$750M plant to make plastic from wood set for Geismar; will create 200 jobs

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_d5e3d8ee-8f33-11ec-9702-b73a474119d1.html

Origin site

PSC decision clears way for $740M renewable energy plant 

Plans for a $740 million renewable energy plant south of Plaquemine kicked into high gear last week when the Louisiana Public Service Commission approved a measure that will increase competition among energy providers, according to the Plaquemine Post South.

https://www.businessreport.com/industry/psc-decision-clears-way-for-740m-renewable-energy-plant

2 new major announcements in a state that's desperate for good news....

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

On 3/11/2022 at 10:46 PM, richyb83 said:

75 foot glass tower will look cool near Siegen / I-10

A new, 75-foot-tall 'car vending machine' is set to be built in Baton Rouge next to I-10

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_f69dd06c-a09a-11ec-9e1c-27710f4f5a10.html

Carvana

Interesting! Not gonna lie, when I saw this I thought 'let me check to see if it's April 1st'. :tw_lol: Wonder what made them choose BR?

Edited by dan326
  • Haha 1

On 3/14/2022 at 9:21 AM, dan326 said:

Interesting! Not gonna lie, when I saw this I thought 'let me check to see if it's April 1st'. :tw_lol: Wonder what made them choose BR?

It's an expanding company, and Baton Rouge is centrally located for New Orleans, Lafayette/Lake Charles, and the north shore.    Not every Carvana operation has those vending machine things - they actually have a bunch of car lots that are not open to the public where they manage distribution of their cars.   I think they are already operating one in Baton Rouge somewhere so they can distribute, load/unload cars, and prep vehicles for delivery.    And unlike their competitors, they have a "delivery to your door" business model, almost like an Amazon for cars.    So they could service a very big area while having fewer lots open to the public.   The Vending machine is more of a gimmic - you can pick your car up from them, but the whole tower thing is really just to draw attention to their branding.    But someone from New Orleans can order a Chevy Camaro that they found online, and it could be shipped directly to them from any one of a half dozen lots.   

So if you find a car on their website that you must have, your proximity to a vending machine isn't all that important.   Those vending machines are just as much if not more about making you aware of Carvana's existence than it is about being a retail operation for Carvana.   It's right next to I-10 (which is insanely busy), and directly across from Top Golf.  So close in fact that it would be hard NOT to see the Carvana tower from any of the TopGolf bays.

This is the list of Carvana vending machines in the US that were added in the last 5 years:   

image.thumb.png.5520822f8505a2ca712248c92b21dcd8.png

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hammond Heights Subdivision; 52 lots on the north side of Old Hammond west of O'Neal. 

image.thumb.png.d01e0597fa05f2ce73afa26cfc16a49e.png

Lake Villa's Crossing: A new duplex community off of Ben Hur, very similar to the one under construction off Ben Hur near Nicholson.   32 units total, geared towards LSU students.

image.thumb.png.f37b12bf5f04d449f97b98d4f4468e97.png

Atwater Villas Subdivision - 355 lots off River Road near Bluebonnet (across Nicholson from U-Club and Lexington).  This one is going to be pretty expensive homes. 

image.thumb.png.bfcc822d35e330814e2c56de8a86f74f.png

Atwater Reserve, which is really the back side of Atwater Villas, but with larger lots.  Also going to be pretty expensive most likely.  392 homesites total - this is right up against the far end of Bayou Manchac, just inside of the East Baton Rouge Parish border.

image.png

Edited by cajun

Nice, where did you find those pics? 

Boy they're really getting their money's worth outta those plots of land huh. I'm I wonder if that Oneal development is going to be those monopoly-garage homes (not that's there's anything wrong with owning one)?

16 hours ago, dan326 said:

I'm I wonder if that Oneal development is going to be those monopoly-garage homes (not that's there's anything wrong with owning one)?

Well the lots are about 32' wide; so it's going to be very similar to what they have not far away on Rimrock Ct. or Cranbrook Ct.    The ones proposed off Mickens won't be much larger.  That one is going to connect to Copper Oaks.    A little concerned about both of those being so high density in a flood zone.  

Also wondering what all of these new residents are going to be doing for a living.   The state has struggled economically for 4-5 years now, and economic development doesn't seem to be a big concern.   

Edited by cajun

18 hours ago, cajun said:

Well the lots are about 32' wide; so it's going to be very similar to what they have not far away on Rimrock Ct. or Cranbrook Ct.    The ones proposed off Mickens won't be much larger.  That one is going to connect to Copper Oaks.    A little concerned about both of those being so high density in a flood zone.  

Also wondering what all of these new residents are going to be doing for a living.   The state has struggled economically for 4-5 years now, and economic development doesn't seem to be a big concern.   

Right, I was wondering both questions myself.

Aldi files plan for Baton Rouge store, see where it will go

Fast-growing grocery store chain Aldi has submitted plans to build a location near the intersection of Siegen Lane and Rieger Road and is looking to hire a store manager.

Aldi submitted plans last week to East Baton Rouge Parish officials for a nearly 20,500-square-foot freestanding store that would be next to Total Wine in the Siegen Village Shopping Center. The chain is running ads on its website for a store manager trainee at the Rieger Road store. 

Affordable housing development planned for former Borden’s site

Georgia-based JPB Holdings is planning a 49-unit affordable apartment development on 2 acres at the former Borden Dairy site on Florida Boulevard. 

Phil Britton, vice president with the company, says the roughly $10 million project, called Sea Holly Grande, will be geared toward residents who earn about 60% of the area’s median income and will benefit from tax credits. He expects to begin construction in July or August.

https://www.businessreport.com/business/affordable-housing-development-planned-for-former-bordens-site

Edited by dan326

2 hours ago, dan326 said:

Right, I was wondering both questions myself.

Aldi files plan for Baton Rouge store, see where it will go

Fast-growing grocery store chain Aldi has submitted plans to build a location near the intersection of Siegen Lane and Rieger Road and is looking to hire a store manager.

Aldi submitted plans last week to East Baton Rouge Parish officials for a nearly 20,500-square-foot freestanding store that would be next to Total Wine in the Siegen Village Shopping Center. The chain is running ads on its website for a store manager trainee at the Rieger Road store. 

Very cool.  

They also have ownership of properties on the eastern side of the parish.   You can see exactly where on the accessor's website.   One is near Pelican State Credit union south of Oschner Hospital.   The other is in either Central or Zachary (I can't remember which).    

NICE Cajun!!  Was 50/50 before clicking link ...LOL    Buc-ee's is a "Go-to" in Baytown and north of Gulf Shores/Orange Beach!  Would have been nice at the Millerville Greens ...but traffic would have been nasty!

Kind of wanted to give someone else a turn w the April Fool's tradition! Dan 326 has really been catching on :lol: to my tricks lately (See the new Car Tower a few weeks ago)  + been crazy busy ...6 hour Sign Language Zoom meeting to make your head spin!

• Haha 1

LOL! Yup, I was tricked too. When I read title at first I thought it was an April Fools joke cause I was wondering where on I-12 they could put it but then I told myself Cajun doesn't usually do the trick. :tw_lol::tw_bawling:  It only took me 17 years to catch on....I really did have to think of that though, the other day I saw skyscraper forum and was reminded of how Richy invited me over here years and years ago. 

Edited by dan326
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Good stuff yall!  Enjoyed reading those post again! There goes April ; it's  Already May!

Pretty cool pic from State Capitol observation deck 1939 vs 2022 in yesterday's Sadvocate

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/entertainment_life/article_28499336-c0ed-11ec-b62c-e30d7eddf8af.html

Gloomy Day pic

62607b215fb19.image.jpg?resize=402,500

62607cf1e736d.image.jpg?resize=497,500

From residences to offices … and back

In 1939, Baton Rouge had fewer than 35,000 people living within its city limits, a figure that would nearly triple in a decade and is 6.5 times higher now. Yet, while many more people live in the city, that’s not the case downtown.

State offices replaced residences. There’s no better place to see that than North Street.

The 1939 Polk City Directory listed almost nothing but residences on North Street between Lafayette Street — one block off River Road — and Sixth Street. Part of that is confirmed by the 1939 photo, with homes that back up to the green space that is now A.Z. Young Park.

Today, not a single residence remains on North from Lafayette all the way to Sixth Street. The Lasalle, Iberville, Bienville and Galvez state office buildings are on one side, with two parking garages across the street, along with the One American Place office tower and the back of the St. Joseph Cathedral complex, which included Catholic High School in 1939.

Yet, the tide has turned at least a little, as evidenced by the IBM building, which includes upscale apartments and joins a handful of developments marketed to those who would rather live near the office.

Ferries, not a bridge

Given the impact of the Interstate 10 bridge on Baton Rouge daily life, it’s stunning to see a view of the downtown riverfront without it.

At the far right of the 1939 photo, however, is part of a ferryboat, and that’s how everyone crossed the Mississippi River. In their heyday in the 1930s, three ferries — the City of Baton Rouge, the Louisiana and the Thomas Pickles — crossed every 15 minutes and charged 25 cents per vehicle and 5 cents per passenger.

After 1940, when the Huey P. Long Bridge opened on U.S. 190, the City of Baton Rouge and the Louisiana kept sailing because of the ferry’s convenience to Baton Rouge’s and Port Allen’s downtowns. Some people cruised just to enjoy the ride.

The experience of crossing the Mississippi by ferry often included a minister, George H. West, who called himself “Messiah of Jesus” and stood on the shore in flowing white robes and a white headpiece, holding a white cross and inviting people to be baptized in the Mississippi River. “Come down in the water and be saved” was his refrain.

The ferries, however, closed once the I-10 bridge, formally named the Horace Wilkinson Bridge, opened in 1968. The Louisiana became a ferry in Plaquemines Parish, then a maintenance barge. The City of Baton Rouge was sold and moved to Iowa, where its engine, paddle wheel and other equipment were used on a new steamboat, with the rest of the structure serving as a floating dock.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2022 at 2:02 PM, dan326 said:

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_b620b6dc-cfd2-11ec-b794-b3cf5c375538.html

Shipley Do-Nuts will be one of the tenants in a new building under construction in front of Southgate Towers. The Houston doughnut chain will take up 2,422 square feet in the retail space at 4075 Nicholson Drive.

Called it!   Actually I just noticed that they didn't remove the Shipley's logo from their planning application several months ago.  

Some more stuff: 

760@Industrialplex Townhome Community west of Siegen Lane at the far end of Industrialplex.   While I support higher density townhomes like this, I'm concerned with the lack of community space/pool.   

image.thumb.png.b0e34beb707411b54d5e8efef441c4a8.png

The final filing of the Pelican Lakes community off Burbank near Staring. 

image.thumb.png.4da515513a3c64d2b0eab181fade73d5.png

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_a4cd1862-daa9-11ec-bd2a-2f9f541b506f.html

Rouses store to open in north Baton Rouge as part of Florida Boulevard redevelopment

Rouses Markets said it will open a 44,000 square foot store at the intersection of Florida Boulevard and North Ardenwood Drive, continuing the redevelopment of one of one of the city's major streets.

The freestanding store, set to open in summer 2023, will anchor a revitalized Ardenwood Shopping Center.

Donny Rouse, CEO of Rouses, said the grocery store will help the area, since North Baton Rouge residents have to travel a distance to get to a supermarket. Rouses will be several blocks closer than the nearest grocery stores to North Baton Rouge — an Albertsons, Calandro's and Shoppers Value on Government Street or the Hi Nabor on Winbourne Avenue.

image.png

2 hours ago, dan326 said:

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_a4cd1862-daa9-11ec-bd2a-2f9f541b506f.html

Rouses store to open in north Baton Rouge as part of Florida Boulevard redevelopment

Rouses Markets said it will open a 44,000 square foot store at the intersection of Florida Boulevard and North Ardenwood Drive, continuing the redevelopment of one of one of the city's major streets.

The freestanding store, set to open in summer 2023, will anchor a revitalized Ardenwood Shopping Center.

Donny Rouse, CEO of Rouses, said the grocery store will help the area, since North Baton Rouge residents have to travel a distance to get to a supermarket. Rouses will be several blocks closer than the nearest grocery stores to North Baton Rouge — an Albertsons, Calandro's and Shoppers Value on Government Street or the Hi Nabor on Winbourne Avenue.

image.png

They'll do well there. 

That's right on Florida Blvd so it's going to get a lot of traffic and built in demand for prepared meals and lunch plates.   

One really under served area is Scotlandville and upper Plank Road.   And there's huge potential there.   IMO, a Wal Mart Supercenter or a larger grocery would do well in the Howell Park area, if they can get the right location with frontage on Harding or Plank.    Either that or a smaller market (40,000 square feet or so) f they can find a place for it) around Scenic close to Harding would also probably stay very busy.       

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since i have driven up Siegen Lane from I-10 to Airline...was pretty impressed with the development ; the empty tracts have just about filled up. Another hotel (Element?) and other businesses.

This pic doesn't do it justice new 27, 500 sq ft Campus Federal Credit Union under construction next to Rooms To Go ( not pictured) ...looks to be 3 floors

IMG_2691.thumb.jpg.e92149c1a2596ab47eb1eae0800a7690.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Shake Shack is opening a location in the the nation's true culinary capital......

Work is underway on Baton Rouge's first Shake Shack. The burger chain with roots in the New York fine dining scene is set to open a freestanding restaurant in early 2023 at the Mall of Louisiana. The restaurant will be between Longhorn Steakhouse and Peregrin's (formerly Pier 1 Imports). Shake Shack is known for its all-natural Angus beef burgers. Beyond the so-called “Shackburgers,” the fast-casual restaurant’s menu includes chicken sandwiches, flat-top-grilled hot dogs, crinkle-cut fries and frozen custards.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_056e143a-f4c4-11ec-9b4f-db1128e1d287.html

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully they can stay pretty close to their current location.   I know the old Belmont site is available still - and would be ideal for both a retail/showroom along with backoffice and warehousing.   There's also the old Dodge City location on Airline that could accommodate all that pretty easily.  

BBQGuys CEO talks warehouse space, Baton Rouge operations, going public

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_1890ca28-0480-11ed-ab6e-23572a3cb709.html

Baton Rouge-based BBQGuys is working with a logistics firm to temporarily lease warehouse space on the east and west coasts to help meet seasonal demand for grills and outdoor furniture.

While the company has more than 200,000 square feet of warehouse space in Baton Rouge, there is a need for more space around Memorial Day weekend and Fourth of July, said Russ Wheeler, BBQGuys CEO. BBQGuys currently leases 170,000 square feet of space between GXO Direct facilities in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, and San Bernardino, California. GXO, a worldwide logistics company, has more than 200 million square feet of warehouse space across more than 900 locations.

“This helps with seasonality, so we can flex up and down,” Wheeler said. “It’s hard for us to continue to grow our footprint under one roof.”

BBQGuys' current Baton Rouge warehouse space is divided among four locations. The company wants to get all of its operations under one roof locally, Wheeler said, but that has been challenging. “We need to find somewhere that’s the right fit,” he said.

On 7/14/2022 at 5:12 PM, richyb83 said:

What's being built in Baton Rouge? See interactive map of new business construction

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_9348f752-fd5c-11ec-bf90-ab98d7b753e3.html

The Frito Distribution center looks pretty big.

It is - about 150,000 square feet.   They are doing that because there isn't enough leasable warehouse space in the Baton Rouge market, so they had to build out their own.    Developers really need to start building out space for spec.   There are a couple of huge DC's coming up in Port Allen and Gonzales.  But otherwise the Baton Rouge market is extremely tight for DC space.

Also - based on your link, it looks like Northern Tool and Equipment is opening in the old Bed Bath space on Florida.   Northern Tool is a solid store, sort of like what the old smaller Sears hardware/tool stores used to be.   Other than that and the new DC....it's kind of sad list.   Just not a good time for economic development now.  

Hopefully Amazon spurs some new retail and fuel station businesses.   

Edited by cajun