Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

On 7/21/2022 at 11:28 AM, cajun said:

Hopefully they can stay pretty close to their current location.   I know the old Belmont site is available still - and would be ideal for both a retail/showroom along with backoffice and warehousing.   There's also the old Dodge City location on Airline that could accommodate all that pretty easily.  

BBQGuys CEO talks warehouse space, Baton Rouge operations, going public

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_1890ca28-0480-11ed-ab6e-23572a3cb709.html

Baton Rouge-based BBQGuys is working with a logistics firm to temporarily lease warehouse space on the east and west coasts to help meet seasonal demand for grills and outdoor furniture.

While the company has more than 200,000 square feet of warehouse space in Baton Rouge, there is a need for more space around Memorial Day weekend and Fourth of July, said Russ Wheeler, BBQGuys CEO. BBQGuys currently leases 170,000 square feet of space between GXO Direct facilities in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, and San Bernardino, California. GXO, a worldwide logistics company, has more than 200 million square feet of warehouse space across more than 900 locations.

“This helps with seasonality, so we can flex up and down,” Wheeler said. “It’s hard for us to continue to grow our footprint under one roof.”

BBQGuys' current Baton Rouge warehouse space is divided among four locations. The company wants to get all of its operations under one roof locally, Wheeler said, but that has been challenging. “We need to find somewhere that’s the right fit,” he said.

It is - about 150,000 square feet.   They are doing that because there isn't enough leasable warehouse space in the Baton Rouge market, so they had to build out their own.    Developers really need to start building out space for spec.   There are a couple of huge DC's coming up in Port Allen and Gonzales.  But otherwise the Baton Rouge market is extremely tight for DC space.

Also - based on your link, it looks like Northern Tool and Equipment is opening in the old Bed Bath space on Florida.   Northern Tool is a solid store, sort of like what the old smaller Sears hardware/tool stores used to be.   Other than that and the new DC....it's kind of sad list.   Just not a good time for economic development now.  

Hopefully Amazon spurs some new retail and fuel station businesses.   

Agreed it's a sad list!  In the early days of UP the BR Forums had many new projects and development . Back then BR Forum might have had more problems surviving if it was like it is now.....

I had seen some Northern Tool ads & billboards....good to know

• Like 1

19 hours ago, richyb83 said:

Agreed it's a sad list!  In the early days of UP the BR Forums had many new projects and development . Back then BR Forum might have had more problems surviving if it was like it is now.....

I had seen some Northern Tool ads & billboards....good to know

I know right, I miss those exciting days. :( 

It’s a hard market for expansion of anything not housing and even there with rates rising and costs being unpredictably high it’s tough. My town added a new stop light at a nearby intersection and they haven’t been able to turn it on for 6 months because a controller they need is on back order. 

Edited by all2neat
  • Confused 1

Aldi pays $1.9 million for land for Baton Rouge store

Aldi has purchased a 1.7-acre tract near the intersection of Siegen Lane and North Rieger Road for nearly $1.9 million.

The fast-growing grocery chain bought the land in a deal filed Friday with the East Baton Rouge Parish Clerk of Court’s office. The seller was Gulf Coast Commercial Group, the Houston real estate company that owns the Siegen Village Shopping Center.

Aldi filed plans in March to build a nearly 20,500-square-foot freestanding store in front of Total Wine. Aldi had run ads on its website for a store manager trainee at the location.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_a0f4bc0a-0c35-11ed-998c-1f6223b394ad.html

That's nice but I wonder why they picked a location on congested ole Siegen Ln.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Dantin Bruce planning 324-unit apartment complex on Bluebonnet near Celtic

Dantin Bruce Development is planning a 324-unit apartment complex on Bluebonnet Boulevard near Celtic Drive, documents submitted to the Planning Commission show. 

Waters at Bluebonnet would include 10 buildings, including community and accessory buildings, and the land is not in a special flood hazard zone, according to planning staff. 

Dantin Bruce did not respond to requests for further information in time for this report. 

The Planning Commission would have to approve the project, though Metro Council approval is not needed to move forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Planning Commission approves 324-unit apartment complex on Bluebonnet

The East Baton Rouge Planning and Zoning Commission has approved Dantin Bruce Development’s planned 324-unit apartment complex at Bluebonnet Boulevard and Celtic Drive. 

Waters at Bluebonnet would include 10 buildings, including community and accessory buildings, and the land is not in a special flood hazard zone, according to documents submitted to the commission and planning staff. Metro Council approval is not needed to move forward

https://www.businessreport.com/business/planning-commission-approves-324-unit-apartment-complex-on-bluebonne

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The empty spaces continue to fill up (Bluebonnet above) and Siegen Lane too

Lancaster buys land for townhome subdivision on Industriplex for $1.96M 

https://www.businessreport.com/realestate/lancaster-buys-land-for-townhome-subdivision-on-industriplex-for-1-96m

An undeveloped, 8.53-acre space on Industriplex Boulevard behind Academy Sports on Siegen Lane has sold to Baton Rouge’s Arthur Lancaster for $1.96 million, according to records filed with the East Baton Rouge Parish Clerk of Court’s office.

The tract was purchased by Lancaster from Siegen Plaza Power Center LLC, whose registered agent is Stephen Carville.

The Planning and Zoning Commission in June approved a motion for the site to be rezoned for use as a major townhome subdivision with private streets.

Lancaster says he was drawn to develop the new gated subdivision because he believes there is a tremendous need in the area for it.

It will be named 760 @Industriplex and contain 78 townhouses. Lancaster expects to receive permitting for the construction of 760’s infrastructure in the next 60 days and projects the vertical component of construction to begin in the first quarter of 2023.

Five developments in flood hazard areas on Planning Commission agenda

• Joor Place, which covers almost 154 acres and would be 30% in a flood hazard area.
  • A commercial-to-compact-neighborhood land use plan change for almost 20 acres west of O’Neal Lane, which s about 90% in a flood hazard area.
  • A concept plan revision to allow more residential units at The Grove, which is about 70% in a flood hazard area.
  • Autumn Gardens and Winter Gardens, two single-family residential subdivisions that would be entirely in flood hazard areas. 

https://www.businessreport.com/business/five-developments-in-flood-hazard-areas-on-planning-commission-agenda

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_4c7d12d4-3db9-11ed-ae09-c778511452bf.html

See the new crane that will make it easier to unload grain at the Port of Greater Baton Rouge

Port crane

The Port of Greater Baton Rouge has received a barge-mounted crane that will make it easier to unload grain despite the level of the Mississippi River.

The $7 million pedestal crane will unload grain directly from barges into Louis Dreyfus Company's elevator. Because the crane has the flexibility to unload barges at times of high or low river levels, this will benefit local farmers, said Jay Hardman, the port's executive director.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wonder at what point does the college residential  market become too saturated?

The old 12 story Capitol Bank building just off Woodale Blvd as a kid was always cool to see  hovering over the tree line from Florida Blvd. . No other building is near as tall in the vicinity. The old 14 story Republic tower (Mid City tower) is the closest abt 1 mile 1/2 away.

Vacant was bought for a $1 million from a Natchitoches investor  back in September

IMG_3383.thumb.jpg.4c26ded7052c7e076dc3ed174f15af87.jpg

Pardon the language...fast forward to 10:39 for view of State Capitol / Downtown Skyline nearly 4 1/2 miles away

Edited by richyb83

• 1 month later...

How long will this prime location at Acadian Thruway & I- 10 remain vacant?  Purchased by the LWCC nearby.   A 4  story Radisson hotel was demolished on the property.

Of course you can see the gridlock on I-10 (right)...wreck on the Mississippi River bridge backed up traffic at least 5 miles

IMG_3531.thumb.jpg.fe613b3a776b33ef2bfdb97d2ba1439c.jpg

The 8 story LWCC Bldg

IMG_3528.thumb.JPG.47b48095117195c291cdcf206806635f.JPG

A 4  story Radisson hotel was demolished on the property.   Also a LaQuinta Inn behind Chevron & restaurant  was demolished too (not shown) 

image.thumb.jpeg.cea5f6f28224af16a4312b73931fb9c6.jpeg

On 1/7/2023 at 10:12 PM, richyb83 said:

How long will this prime location at Acadian Thruway & I- 10 remain vacant?  Purchased by the LWCC nearby.   A 4  story Radisson hotel was demolished on the property.

Of course you can see the gridlock on I-10 (right)...wreck on the Mississippi River bridge backed up traffic at least 5 miles

IMG_3531.thumb.jpg.fe613b3a776b33ef2bfdb97d2ba1439c.jpg

The 8 story LWCC Bldg

IMG_3528.thumb.JPG.47b48095117195c291cdcf206806635f.JPG

A 4  story Radisson hotel was demolished on the property.   Also a LaQuinta Inn behind Chevron & restaurant  was demolished too (not shown) 

image.thumb.jpeg.cea5f6f28224af16a4312b73931fb9c6.jpeg

That organization is earning very well. 

They bought and leveled those two blighted hotels because of criminal activity there.    It's unlikely that they are in any hurry to develop them.   They may one day expand into a new building there, but it's more likely to be sold off to a developer one day.     I don't see any new tower being built there unless that restaurant and that Chevron Station are also leveled (LWCC owns both buildings).    

The days of office buildings being constructed for spec in locations like that are behind us.    

Edited by cajun

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm...Dan326... Town homes  would be interesting

True  Cajun...is this also a thing of the past for places like Houston; Atlanta ; Austin or Nashville?

New 4 story apartments next to a new YMCA?

YMCA building apartment complex on South Foster land, replacing A.C. Lewis facility

https://www.businessreport.com/business/ymca-replacing-a-c-lewis-building-adding-apartment-complex-on-south-foster

The YMCA of the Capital Area on Monday announced plans to construct a four-story apartment building and replace the 60-year-old A.C. Lewis building with a new facility at its Mid City location on South Foster Drive.

The total price tag for the project is $30 million.

Kristen Hogan, marketing director for YMCA, told Daily Report in October that the proposal to build a new Y and apartments has been considered multiple times over the years, but securing funding was the main obstacle.

The 130,000-square-foot apartment building will consist of one-, two- and three-bedroom units.

The new Y building will retain the A.C. Lewis YMCA name and include a gymnasium, fitness and wellness center, swimming pool, and a babysitting and youth space.

While demolition of the existing Y and construction of its replacement is underway, the nonprofit will operate out of a temporary location near the Gerry Lane Chevrolet and GMC/Buick dealerships on Florida Boulevard

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2023 at 11:59 PM, richyb83 said:

True  Cajun...is this also a thing of the past for places like Houston; Atlanta ; Austin or Nashville?

Right now...yes.   They actually are in more danger of a real estate crash from a commercial office space standpoint than we are because there were so many spec buildings put up there in the past 20 years.

Things may change (never say never), but I don't think any large scale office space is getting built or financed anymore without a tenant.  Or if it's owner-occupied.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WOW! This is an  interesting proposal !!     New Twin Riverfront high-rises mimicking the nearby One American Place on Forth Street!  Kinda ugly ; but hey it should improve the skyline for sho!  23 - stories each.....

image.thumb.png.30ab3ff2b2bf0ea733333a6f4838f0e4.png

APRIL FOOL's  AGAIN .....ALREADY LOL 💥🤡🙈

Edited by richyb83

On 4/1/2023 at 12:51 PM, richyb83 said:

WOW! This is an  interesting proposal !!     New Twin Riverfront high-rises mimicking the nearby One American Place on Forth Street!  Kinda ugly ; but hey it should improve the skyline for sho!  23 - stories each.....

image.thumb.png.30ab3ff2b2bf0ea733333a6f4838f0e4.png

APRIL FOOL's  AGAIN .....ALREADY LOL 💥🤡🙈

Ha, you didn't get me this year... Mainly because I scrolled all the way down on my phone save read up 😂! I wish though... As I say, BR usually participates in national trends so if/when they have another skyscraper boom we should get another mid-rise.

• Haha 1

A vacant office building in downtown Baton Rouge has been sold for $5.5 million to a New Orleans development group that plans to build luxury apartments on the site.

Key Real Estate bought the 1.4 acre property at 617 North Blvd. in a deal that was filed Monday with the East Baton Rouge Clerk of Court’s office. The seller was North Boulevard Properties LLC of Baton Rouge.

The building had been a branch of Baton Rouge Bank and Whitney National Bank. Whitney closed the location in 1999, when it moved into the City Plaza office building a few blocks down North Boulevard. The Louisiana Department of Health & Hospitals had some offices in the building in the early 2000s.

Michael Lang, managing principal, development for Key, said the building had been vacant for several years. The plan is to demolish the building and build a complex that will complement The Heron. The Heron is a 142-unit apartment development at the corner of Florida and Sixth streets that Key manages.

617 North Blvd.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/downtown-building-sold-for-55m-to-become-apartments/article_6d9ccddc-d4af-11ed-9a14-371ffa922856.html#tncms-source=dontmiss-1

They reference The Heron, which is a pretty nice building across Convention street from this property.   It looks like this: 

Retail/Office Space at the Heron… | Downtown Development District

The property they are developing has a lot of potential.   If I was a Donald Trump type of urban developer, I would love to have a shot at that block.   But I'm sure my ambitions there are probably more than what the local market can support.   The developer clearly thinks there's potential, having  built out the block to the north of this already before the pandemic.    

I'm hoping that they go up to at least 7-8 floors so the penthouses can see over the tree line.....and a rooftop pool of course.   The Heron looks nice, but I don't want this to be a copy/paste of that even though it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.   I actually sort of dig to the architecture of the Cresent building off the LSU lakes.   Maybe that could work there with the terra cotta roof accents.    I really like the balcony's and outdoor spaces at The Heron.   It doesn't have that "human storage center" feel that The Elysian has.

There are at least 200 people living at The Heron, The Elias is nearby, and Beauregard Town is across the street.    Seems like there's opportunity here for a couple of smaller (>2000 square feet) neighborhood retail spaces for a coffee shop, pharmacy, or small restaurant.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 1:08 PM, cajun said:

They broke ground on the new Rouses on Florida Blvd this week.  

image.png.fbc0a26839235b5e9d1d414af5023677.png

They are taking their time with this construction.    Figured that would happen.   Grocery is a low margin business and requires expensive buildings/real estate, so they aren't going to burn through a lot of cash to expedite construction.    

Hopefully it is a nice looking store though.   And some of those nearby used car lots eventually get turned into something else...like a Small's Slider's or CC's.  Neither of them have a presence on Florida Blvd yet.   The Starbucks construction by the Amazon at Cortana has already started.

On 3/23/2023 at 6:21 PM, richyb83 said:

From Dallas to BR? Interesting...usually the other way around!

Why this petroleum company is moving its headquarters from Texas to downtown Baton Rouge

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/placid-refining-moving-home-base-from-texas-to-baton-rouge/article

402 N. Fourth St.

Solid gain! 

Although I think their only production assets are in West Baton Rouge Parish, so it makes more sense to just have the HQ here in Louisiana.    Nonetheless, it's a nice gain!

• Like 1

Thanks for posting that Cajun!   Have parked my car in that parking lot along North Blvd many times; and wondered what would ever become of the 4 story office building?!   Posted here on UP about the building 10+ years (time flies)....  gonna have to go back and look; may take awhile lol.

Sounds promising as a compliment to the Heron nearby.   The upper floors would have a nice view of the green tree canopy along North Blvd. Promenade (median)

Edited by richyb83

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/downtown-building-sold-for-55m-to-become-apartments/article_6d9ccddc-d4af-11ed-9a14-371ffa922856.html

Vacant downtown office building sold for $5.5 million, will become apartments

617 North Blvd.

A vacant office building in downtown Baton Rouge has been sold for $5.5 million to a New Orleans development group that plans to build luxury apartments on the site.

Key Real Estate bought the 1.4 acre property at 617 North Blvd. in a deal that was filed Monday with the East Baton Rouge Clerk of Court’s office.