Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

The developer of Perkins Rowe also developed CitiPlace. He plans to build a 135-unit loft apartment complex at CitiPlace on the last 11 acres of the 70 acre site. I am wondering if this is going to be on the north-side of Corporate Blvd? I thought this was going on a smaller tract of land in front of the Gates at CitiPlace?? He did not provide specifics.

Wow Dan, thanks for looking that up from way back in March :thumbsup: I was wondering when the Lofts at CitiPlace would get off the ground. If my memory serves me correct?? the blurry sight plans looked like they would be 4-stories.

Thanks for the latest scoop Byrde. I'm still wondering what will be done to all the undeveloped land north of Corporate Blvd./CitiPlace?? More Smart Growth infil??

I am also curious to see what new site plans developer Spinosa has for the Ford Pasture on Perkins (between Southdowns/Pollard Estates). A mixed-use, village-like atmosphere in the front of the property with new Southdowns branch library and Coldwater Creek. The development has an unusual name for it "Rouzan". If it's as nice as CitiPlace and Perkins Rowe?? He definetly did his job helping put BR on the map!

He also mentioned JTS Interest has"some amazing plans" for the Ford Pasture on Perkins Road not far from College Drive. Previously he has said it would be a mixed-use combing single family homes, townhouses, offices, and light retail, and possibly a Southdowns branch library. It's nice to see all the mixed-used developments arriving in BR.

Developits

I've got lots of stuff for you guys today. Some of this stuff is pieces of info from other thread that I figured I clump together on here. :D

• Six strip centers going up, 2 on Perkins, 1 on Jefferson, 1 on Airline, 2 in he Inner City
  • A building is going up on Florida relatively near the mall, maybe a restaurant/office :dontknow:
  • A Kia dealrship has started on Siegen near the Clegg's plant nursery
  • A Canes is going up on Sherwood right by the former Pasta Garden
  • Willow Grove 2 has started
  • Drainage/sewage has started on a 210 unit apartment complex on O'Neal
  • The smaller half of the O'Neal film project is has laid down pipes and is possibly starting to build roads
  • A Firestone Auto shop is nearing completion on Siegen
  • The Jones Creek apartment completion is nearing completion, the went up so fast I hope they don't fall down :shok:
  • neighborhoods on Jones Creek,Tiger Bend, Jefferson, and Old Jefferson are popping up like crazy
  • A small medical clinic is being built in the Inner City
  • 2 apartment complexes are going up on Siegen
  • 4 banks are being built on Perkins, I-12(Drussila exit), Jones Creek, Towne Center
  • Land is being clear on Sherwood between Old Hammond/I-12, possibly a Fed Ex distrubution center
  • The former University Inn(Acadian/I-12) will now be a Red Lion hotel
  • River Center expansion with a possible hotel
  • New Orleans businesses scouting B.R. for locations
  • 400 job company coming to B.R.
  • I might hav already mentioned this but th last piece of the Millerville shopping center in under construction
  • The zoo is continuing to expand which is great, I always thought it was kind of pitiful -_-
  • Children's museum in line for $5 million
    Plans for the Knock Knock Children's Museum are set to get a $5 million boost after the project was included in the state's Capital Outlay Budget. Kelli Stevens, one of the organizers of the museum, says the money would be used for planning and construction of the facility, which would be aimed at children age 8 and under. "This will help us to jump-start the process," she says. Some of the money would be used to bring in a national consultant to work on the concept of the museum. The museum could be part of the improved City Park; there have been discussions between BREC and Knock Knock officials, and the park's master plan calls for a "destination facility." BREC and Stevens both say it's a little too early to say if the museum will be in City Park. Stevens also says it's too soon to say when construction will start on the museum, which has been in the planning stages for a couple of years. The rule of thumb is that it generally takes about five to seven years to go from talking about a museum to opening the facility, and Knock Knock is pretty much on that schedule, she says. "Katrina pushed us back a little, but we hope to start work on this very soon," she says.

Edited by dan326

Good summation Dan. I think the land clearing on sherwood forest is a new $22 million apartment complex that was in the business report this week. It's listed as 2001 Sherwood Forest Blvd. I don't know if the new FedEx facility is part of the land clearing or not. It's a large amount of land that was cleared.

A few other misc. developments that I don't know if they've been mentioned before or not. 1) All star Toyota on Airline is building a new service facility, 2) Royal Nissan is embarking on a 6-7 million expansion across the street on Airline. 3) A new Iberville bank on Old Hammond at Airline is going up, 4) A sign was put up on the site of the new Starmount insurance Bldg. that's to be built on Goodwood Blvd. 5) A new La. Real Estate commission bldg. going up on Interline.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the Woman's hospital when they move. There's sort of a mini medical center there which used to be centered around the BR clinic and woman's.

I think the widening of Airline to 6 lanes is really going to help the businesses and that area in general. The traffic flow is 100% better than it was.

Thanks for the great list dan.

I noticed today that Starbucks is building a new place on Airline near Harry in front of the Home Depot.

I read somewhere that this is one of 8 or so they will build in BR this year.

That starbucks will be the first coffee shop built north of Florida Blvd.

Wow yall, this is good to see the BR Forum so active!

Thanks for the list Dan of, sounds like you have been doing alot of driving around! You sure have a good eye for the new developments going on! :thumbsup: Thanks for the updates on the smaller projects too. You mean the O'Neal/I-12 film project will really happen??

And thanks drew for your updates too. I am curious to see what the new Starmount insurance building will look like on that open tract on Goodwood Blvd?? And the new La.Real Estate bldg. on Interline too?? It will be interesting to see what becomes of the Women's Hospital after they move??? Maybe LSU's new University Hsp. can use all the space??

Yeah flatiger, it's crazy how many more Starbucks are planned. Just having four in such a short distance College, Corporate, Barnes & Noble, and Towne Center is impressive.

That starbucks will be the first coffee shop built north of Florida Blvd.

Is it owned locally?

Very few businesses in North Baton Rouge are like that. In fact, I am not even sure if Starbucks are corporate owned or not.

CC's should expand, too.

Edited by brresident

Baton Rouge high on business expansion list.

Expansion Magazine ranks East Baton Rouge parish No. 8 among 3100 mid size counties in the US for most popular places for businesses to relocate and the nine parish Capital Region anchored by Baton Rouge ranks No. 17 among 350 metro areas. Expansion magazine studied 19 million companies for the last 8 years to make their determination.

Baton Rouge high on business expansion list.

Expansion Magazine ranks East Baton Rouge parish No. 8 among 3100 mid size counties in the US for most popular places for businesses to relocate and the nine parish Capital Region anchored by Baton Rouge ranks No. 17 among 350 metro areas. Expansion magazine studied 19 million companies for the last 8 years to make their determination.

Wow, thats excellent. Hope the trends continues, and even multiplies!

Thanks for posting this. That's impressive to see BR ranked that high! This should continue, as I've said before, the new leaders at BR Area Chamber really have their act together. Those are some of the most progressive, innovative people this city has ever had.

Planning Commission to discuss Wal-Mart, downtown

The East Baton Rouge Planning Commission is set to vote this evening on a proposed Wal-Mart Supercenter that would be built at the Bluebonnet Boulevard-Burbank Drive intersection. The commission also will discuss the demolition of the New Richmond Place apartment building downtown. Commercial Properties Development Corp. bought the site in the spring and plans to redevelop the property at Fifth and Laurel streets.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

This could really help downtown. A super walmart would really jump start all of the upcoming residential lofts and things like the River Place condo's.

Edited by Gauge

The Wal-Mart will not be built downtown.

Am I reading that excerpt wrong? It looks to me like they are talking about the Wal-Mart on bluebonnet, but also talking about a wal mart at the property on Fith at Laurel? After looking at it again, it looks like they are just stating that they will generally discuss the demolision of the property?

Any ideas what they will do with the property on Fith and Laurel?

Edited by Gauge

At one time that property(Laurel/Fifth) was to become an 18 story parking deck with offices at the bottom and lofts at the top. But CATS couldn't come up with the money for the parking deck(which was to have a public transportaion hub) and the main tenant for the office poriton moved to City Plaza II. So now it is just going to be loft living, which Richy figures will be between 5-10 stories.

Old rendering : 7.jpg

Here's a project in San Diego that almost has the same location(Laurel/Fourth) :lol:

sdscene60110.jpg

At one time the Advocate site was to be a 25/30 story mixed use, but the plans were changed. Richy said:

Yesterday I got some news from a very reliable source pertaining to the old Advocate site downtown on Lafayette Street. The preliminary talks were to have a 25 to 30-story mixed-use tower; that has now changed. Plans are now for two separate structures within the block with a central-plaza area between both. One would contain office, the other condo's. With plenty for street level and the term "sense of place". They would be anywhere from 12-(not more than 15) stories. They would be very nice. At that location not wanting to block views of the Capitol; which I agreed at that location. This will be a Major UPGRADE for the prime riverfront location. For now I'll call it Capital Park Plaza.
Edited by dan326

I personally think it would be a very dumb move by the developer if they included just lofts. If they have a mixed use zone, then they should use it. Retail on the bottom floor (on the streetside of the garage), then a few floors of high end office space, then a few floors of residential lofts.

The retail and office might not fill in right away, but there has to be a void there for a parking garage, which typically involves a lot of wasted space.

The Wal-Mart will not be built downtown.

Thank God. I'd be all for a Walgreens, CVS, or another Calandro's or something...but not a Wal Mart. There is one right across the river.

Edited by cajun

^^How do you guys hear about these things. That looks cool. Is it definate yet?

I'd like to see a lot of these in the beauregard town and spanish town areas, too. Just because you want to live downtown doesn't mean you are not afraid of heights. River Place will cater to those folks for now.

A few brownstones like that here and there will do wonders for downtown baton rouge...and to think it may come with gauranteed parking, too. Put in another hundred or so full time residents in town and you have yourself demand new coffee shop...add River Place's contribution and I can see the need for a grocery. Throw in a 200 room hotel and you suddenly have demand for a movie theater. It's pretty neat to imagine another 400 or so residential spaces over the next few years in that area that's not in Spanish town.

I sure hope a lot of these pop up in that region. It's a big trend all over the place. I know that if I was working in downtown baton rouge in my life stage right now, then I'd definately be talking to their sale's agent.

Edited by cajun

^^How do you guys hear about these things. That looks cool. Is it definate yet?

Usually it's just luck. It's probably not definite just yet. The developer is supposed to be going before the planning commission tonight to get approval. Once approved, I see it happening quick. Based on the wording of the release, they plan to be the only mixed-use development at opening in downtown. That would presume that they're planning on beating Preis's tower to the punch. Who knows, it could jump-start Preis into actually breaking ground to keep his commitments from backing out and going with this development.

As an aside-- the lumber at the River Place site looks to be the kind of pilings used underneath crane tracts. Keep the fingers crossed.

Usually it's just luck. It's probably not definite just yet. The developer is supposed to be going before the planning commission tonight to get approval. Once approved, I see it happening quick. Based on the wording of the release, they plan to be the only mixed-use development at opening in downtown. That would presume that they're planning on beating Preis's tower to the punch. Who knows, it could jump-start Preis into actually breaking ground to keep his commitments from backing out and going with this development.

As an aside-- the lumber at the River Place site looks to be the kind of pilings used underneath crane tracts. Keep the fingers crossed.

Yes, thats what I was thinking. Maybe this will light a fire under pries behind to get that tower up!

Thanks for the imput Dan. :thumbsup:

Nice vision for downtown cajun, I can't wait to see it all unfold. These developments will start complimenting each other.

Great to see yall so interested in downtown development. In about five years Baton Rouge will have a nice enough downtown we can all be proud of.