Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

California biotech company picks WBR to build 140,000-square-foot research facility. I don't know anything about this group. Hopefully they're legit. Great news for WBR if true, especially when combined with the planned studio.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/10421242.html

"Telomolecular Corp. has chosen West Baton Rouge Parish as the home for its $43 million facility that would house 20 biotechnology and research companies dedicated to pharmaceutical development and the study of therapies to address age-related disease and human aging.

The 140,000-square-foot facility will also be home to a regional work force initiative designed to support laboratory technician education and professional training.

The Rancho Cordova, Calif.-based company will announce its site selection and development team in the coming weeks. It had also been considering Baton Rouge as a possible location.

biz%20office%20space%20101107.jpg

A public library would accompany residential, retail and office space, as well as a school and church, in the Rouzan neighborhood, which developer Tommy Spinosa says would be built over about five years.

<a href='http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/ipb_seo.php?url=http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/10446532.html' rel='nofollow' target="_blank" onclick="java script:urchinTracker('/outgoing/www_2theadvocate_com');">http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/10446532.html</a>

I told ya'll! I saw the store front in the rendering. :D It's the silvery on the right.

ml1rn5.png

Edited by dan326

^Yeah Drew it's confusing;the rendering kind-of looks like 13. Wonder if it has anything to do with the silly superstition of 13th floors?? I wish the 5-story parking garage was under the office tower like previous approval meeting. II City Plaza would more vertical. At least Emporis.com classifies "hig-rise" anything 12-stories and above.

^Thanks for posting that Dan; I saw that in the morning paper. Looks really nice; this TND thing is really begining to take-off. Great IN-FIL project! I may post this in the New Urbanism thread.

Alot of new names coming to BR :thumbsup: between Perkins Rowe, The Boulevard, and Towne Center.

"Developer plans shopping center for Fairwood site

A Birmingham, Ala., developer wants to build a 54-acre retail development at the intersection of Interstate 12 and Millerville Road, on the old Fairwood Country Club site. AIG Baker Real Estate has filed permits with the city-parish planning commission for The Greens at Millerville. The shopping center would have 435,696 square feet of retail space, anchored by an 89,000-square-foot store and an 86,000-square-foot store. The development would also have 37,000 square feet of restaurant space."

Regional FedEx center set for N. Harrell

^Wow Bryde, that must have been crazy/scary driving over the Bridge when that happened! I was taking a nap when the explosion happened; I thought it was a Thunder-Storm for a second. The windows rattled; roughly 11-12 miles away.

Almost wanted to start a new Photo Construction thread, what do yall think?? LT got the ball rollin' yesterday.

The close proximity of construction II City Plaza(left) and new Courthouse(right)

oct07027bn3.jpg

I see sheet piles in your picture (at the courthouse site), but the pile driver is a block over at CPII. Is this courthouse supposed to have a basement or very deep foundation?

Wouldn't it be cool if that ugly white building that will be behind the new courhouse in this picture looked more like city plaza? That place is screaming for an office mid-rise with the new courthouse creating some demand. Then again, I guess CPII will absorb some of that.

Either way, that white building has to go.

Edited by cajun

Oh no, you cant get rid of the white building, its just an ugly duckling. That building has a great design, it just needs some pampering. Even with a modest renovation, that building could look very modern and new, because it has such a great shell to work with. ALthough, if a developer came in and suggested building a high rise there, i wouldnt complain, lol

The white building behind the future Courthouse?? That's the old EBRATS Bldg. It's only a matter of time before it's put back into use. You are right buckett, I'm sure a renovation will take place, and it will be much improved :thumbsup: . Looking at the design of the building it would be easy to add a few floors on the top; certainly seems easier than adding floors to the top of the old Municipal Bldg.( just off pic to right of new courthouse) that had been previously mentioned.

Shaw's next phase has begun as well!

Edited by richyb83

The white building behind the future Courthouse?? That's the old EBRATS Bldg. It's only a matter of time before it's put back into use. You are right buckett, I'm sure a renovation will take place, and it will be much improved :thumbsup: . Looking at the design of the building it would be easy to add a few floors on the top; certainly seems easier than adding floors to the top of the old Municipal Bldg.( just off pic to right of new courthouse) that had been previously mentioned.

Shaw's next phase has begun as well!

So if you are looking at the courthouse from N. Blvd that white/cream building behind it is the Municipal Bldg? Are they keeping that building or tearing it down to make room for the courthouse? I wasn't sure if the courthouse was going to fit on what was the surface parking lot.

So if you are looking at the courthouse from N. Blvd that white/cream building behind it is the Municipal Bldg? Are they keeping that building or tearing it down to make room for the courthouse? I wasn't sure if the courthouse was going to fit on what was the surface parking lot.

Yes the Municipal bldg is behind the courthouse when standing on North Blvd. (not seen in the picture above) Don't know the plans for the municipal building.

Prince Murat plans posponed but still going forward. Two 11-story towers proposed. That ought to look nice crossing the I-10 bridge and for people going to LSU.

per dailyreport...

Prince Murat plans postponed A request to rezone the old Prince Murat Inn site to allow for construction of a residential/office development has been postponed until December. River House Partners wants to build two 176-unit, 11-story residential towers on Nicholson Drive, with two 20,000-square-foot commercial buildings in front. The development, called 1480 Nicholson, would feature a rooftop swimming pool on one apartment tower and a garden and rooftop track on the other.

Prince Murat plans posponed but still going forward. Two 11-story towers proposed. That ought to look nice crossing the I-10 bridge and for people going to LSU.

per dailyreport...

Prince Murat plans postponed A request to rezone the old Prince Murat Inn site to allow for construction of a residential/office development has been postponed until December. River House Partners wants to build two 176-unit, 11-story residential towers on Nicholson Drive, with two 20,000-square-foot commercial buildings in front. The development, called 1480 Nicholson, would feature a rooftop swimming pool on one apartment tower and a garden and rooftop track on the other.

Thanks for posting, I almost posted on "Rises" thread but got sidetracked. This is good news! You sure are right, this will tranform that area big-time!! :shades: I was wondering how tall this might be?? Two 11-story buildings sounds perfect for the Nicholson corridor! Something taller on that(south) side of the bridge! Looking forward to seeing renderings in December!

Wonder when Wampold will announce plans for the old shopping center next door?? Something to compliment each other!

Victory Commons at the Nicholson Northgate is about finished and looks fantastic! I like that Mediterrean LSU-style! + It reallycompliments the new Fieldhouse across the street; driving between both developments on Nicholson feels as if you are passing thru a gateway!

Edited by richyb83

I have a question. Is an annual growth of 2% good for an area. I was reading the daily report and they are expecting the BR Metro to grow at a rate of 2% each year for 08 and 09. I thought that was a bit low for us, but I could be wrong. I don't know much about all that stuff so I thought I'd ask you guys for your input.

I have a question. Is an annual growth of 2% good for an area. I was reading the daily report and they are expecting the BR Metro to grow at a rate of 2% each year for 08 and 09. I thought that was a bit low for us, but I could be wrong. I don't know much about all that stuff so I thought I'd ask you guys for your input.

2% will put it in the top 50. It's healthy, but not exactly on fire. I believe BR grew 9% in '05 after Katrina?

Is the 2% average tho? Or is that below average? Especially for a city our size.

K...I went back ten years for the BR MSA, on Dept. of Labor's website, and this is what I found.

This is actual number of jobs in BR MSA, in August of each year / it's rate of growth from the previous year:

1997: 301,330

1998: 310,817 / 3.15%

1999: 321,011 / 3.28%

2000: 319,708 / -0.41%

2001: 315,146 / -1.43%

2002: 313,524 / -0.51%

2003: 326,421 / 4.11%

2004: 325,380 / -0.32%

2005: 338,659 / 4.08%

2006: 349,688 / 3.26%

2007: 349,876 / 0.05%

Ten year growth: 12.57%

(keep in mind, this is just August-to-August comparisons. For a better picture, look at the annual adjusted employment growth, which isn't available yet for 2007. This also doesn't reflect Katrina data, since this is for the months of August).

Now, regarding whether 2% is "average" - that really depends on what the national economy is doing. Some years average is much higher than other years. According to POLICOM, the top 10 job creating cities in the U.S. grew 4-10% in 2005.

I don't know what average will be for 2007, 2008, but I suspect it will be a good deal lower than 2%. But will BR rank in the top 10? Probably not.

Keep in mind this is looking at rates of growth, so city sizes really don't factor here. If you're looking at actual numbers, then yes, account for size of the city. But it's as much of an accomplisment for NYC to grow 2% in a year, which rarely happens, as BR.

Any news on the new EKL site?

I thought NBR would be a better place, but now I have changed my mind. I think the best place is somewhere along Summa Ave or Essen Ln or Bluebonnet...maybe the new Picardy area.

I figured that if Baton Rouge wants to be a regional center for medicine, then it doesn't have to push the envelope. If it wants to be world class, then that might mean stepping on some toes.

I think Baton Rouge can be more than that....think on a global level. A new EKL in the medical corridor along with the hinted and muched talked about medical school nearby could bring a Texas Medical Center style draw to the area.

The Texas Medical center is the same way, and employs over 70,000 people.

That's a nice idea in thougt, but how exactly are people from North Baton Rouge going to go all to go way down there??

I believe in stepping on toes to get something good, but I think that plan would be somewhat foolish. :whistling:

I have long said that from the begining. There is absolutely no reason to put the new University Hospital in SBR. You are leaving the people of NBR without a hospital. Mind you it is those same people that need the hospital the most. I am totally against the new University Hospital anywheres outside of NBR. If you want some sort of university hospital in SBR, then put a clinic not a whole hospital.

^Pardon my ignorance on this subject...Has the new University Hospital NBR Clinic broke ground on Airline Hwy. down from the old EKL?? It's supposed to be 42,000sq.ft' two-floors and offer comprehensive preventive health care and early intervention in this new primary care facility, which will emphasize internal medicine and women

Edited by richyb83