Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

The info that I provided was a combination of what I found at a number of different sites.

From Wikipedia:

Okay, I understand what the problem is.

At wikipedia, the figure of 602,894 is based on the old definition of the MSA. The old MSA only included the Parishes of Ascension, East Baton Rouge, Livingston, and West Baton Rouge. The population of the old MSA was 602,894 in 2000 and 632,758 in 2005. Respectable growth (4.95%), but not huge.

The new MSA (after the OMB redefined MSAs after 2000) now includes the parishes of East Feliciana, Iberville, Pointe Coupee, St. Helena, and West Feliciana. The population of the new MSA was 705,973 in 2000 and 733,802 in 2005. Again, not huge growth (3.94%).

So, at wikipedia, the stated population of 602,894 in 2000 is based on the old MSA and the stated population of "over 700,000 since the 2000 census" is based on the new MSA. It is a fact that the MSA did have 602,894 in 2000 and 733,802 in 2005, but the components (parishes) of the MSA has changed. Looking at those figures, one would initially think that the growth was huge (21.71%!), but that would be like comparing apples to oranges. Based on this erroneous figure of 21.71%, one might assume that the population would reach 1,000,000 by 2015.

If you want to, you can visit census.gov and check the population of each of the parishes above. On the right side of the webpage, under "Population Finder

Edited by Phizzy

Thanks NCB ! I can't wait for the hotel to open ! It has been closed since 1985 . They said that marked the death of Downtown . Well, let the renaissance begin ! This is probably the biggest redevelopment project in Downtown's history ! A ballroom will occupy the top floor !

The Perkins Road corridor is really begining to crank-up too ! Along with Perkins Palms , there is also plans for :

*Acadian Village Shopping Center (redevelopment w/ residential)

* Ford pasture mixed-use 120-acre development w/ library !

And these have already started :

*Perkins Rowe urban village

* Willow Grove TND (BR's 1st )

As for the Heidelberg, this is simply the best news downtown Baton Rouge could have hoped for. Its renovation did indeed spark a renaissance. More people need to flock downtown to take part in the rejuvenation of the city. With any luck, there will be more apartments and condos springing up everywhere.

I still wish that the original name could have been used in the new name.

Edited by tombarnes

As a matter-of-fact , more people are begining to live Downtown. They say 2,200 people live in the Downtown Development District; they would like to increase that to 4,000 to 5,000 residents !

Lofts are begining to pop-up along Third Street. A motel on N.Third St. was converted into the River Palms condo's; More lofts are planned near the Shaw Arts Center; 30-40 condo's are planned on top of the proposed Laurel Tower; 40-50 units on top of the Kress & Levy Bldg. And the long awaited 30+story RiverPlace condo tower will add another 100-units !

This project has started recently ; Baton Rouge's 1st TND .(FINALLY)

http://www.willowgrovehomes.com

* click bottom right for website

This is near Perkins Rowe urban village that has also began construction . They have all those tall cranes over there now !!!

Now why do they have cranes at the site of a TND? Are there high-rises being built as part of this project? Pardon my ignorance if the link you provided explains this, but I'm on my home computer right now and it sucks. It's slow as all get out.

Is this a project that's been planned for some years now? Because I sure thought Baton Rouge would have had at least 1-2 TNDs going by now.

This project has started recently ; Baton Rouge's 1st TND .(FINALLY)

http://www.willowgrovehomes.com

* click bottom right for website

This is near Perkins Rowe urban village that has also began construction . They have all those tall cranes over there now !!!

Thats a great looking project, Richy! :thumbsup:

I definately look forward to seeing it after it has been completed.

I am sorry for the confusion Supkof , my bad .

I happened to be driving down Perkins Road yesterday and saw BOTH projects.

The TND Settlement at Willow Grove less than 1/2 mile from Perkins Rowe. A cookie-cutter subdivision is between them. No cranes at the TND . The cranes are for Perkins Rowe urban village . Perkins Rowe has been on these treads posted by NCB. Its been long awaited, and has been causing some buzz around the area.

Perkins Road is in the pre-stages of becoming 5-lanes on the eastern-end !

Perkins Rowe is one of three big time projects going on now ! Along with Towne Center at Cedar Lodge ; and Southgate Towers . These projects are so large , they are being done in phases !

I am sorry for the confusion Supkof , my bad .

I happened to be driving down Perkins Road yesterday and saw BOTH projects.

The TND Settlement at Willow Grove less than 1/2 mile from Perkins Rowe. A cookie-cutter subdivision is between them. No cranes at the TND . The cranes are for Perkins Rowe urban village . Perkins Rowe has been on these treads posted by NCB. Its been long awaited, and has been causing some buzz around the area.

Perkins Road is in the pre-stages of becoming 5-lanes on the eastern-end !

Perkins Rowe is one of three big time projects going on now ! Along with Towne Center at Cedar Lodge ; and Southgate Towers . These projects are so large , they are being done in phases !

Okay, you were talking about the cranes at Perkins Rowe. I understand now... I'm a dork sometimes so bear with me dude! :)

I'm very familiar with Perkins Rowe. I read about it somewhere - probably in the Baton Rouge Business Report - when it was first conceptualized, and thought it seemed like an awesome project. It combines some of the same types of things as the Boardwalk, but adds in a grocery store (did I also see a Bally Total Fitness or something like that in the plans?) and brownstones. I love brownstones and wish someone would build some here.

I know brownstones are planned, but I am not very familiar with them ? Yes, Bally's Total Fitness will be at Perkins Rowe . This is all new to BR , I can't wait ! A "City" in the suburbs. One addition not seen on the website is that Wells Fargo will build it's office(3-stories) on top of the parking gargage = 7-stories next to the cinema. A new connector road will help too , taking it to the new Picardy Ave. Overpass at I-10 without having to drive on hectic Bluebonnet Blvd. !

Edited by richyb83

NEW GATEWAY to DOWNTOWN BR

North Blvd. Railroad Overpass to open on April 20th.

This east/west route will be the main surface street alternative to downtown instead of Government St and Florida Blvd.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/2600446.html

As far as rail overpasses go, that one isn't bad. I love those light posts. If you're going to do it, you might as well do it right like that.

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=4752851

Trapper catches, kills University Lakes Gator ;

The gator was elusive, they finally found him after two-weeks .This was sad to me, they say if he was longer than 5 feet, he would be too large to catch, the trapper said he was 9 feet long . I realize he could be a danger to the public and pets. I really wonder how he ended up in University Lake. There is a urban watershed with a small bayou he could have went down, but it's so polluted . This bayou(Duplantier) connects to Ward's Creek that eventually leads to Bayou Manchac, Amite River into Lake Marapuas.

Edited by richyb83

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=4752851

Trapper catches, kills University Lakes Gator ;

The gator was elusive, they finally found him after two-weeks .This was sad to me, they say if he was longer than 5 feet, he would be too large to catch, the trapper said he was 9 feet long . I realize he could be a danger to the public and pets. I really wonder how he ended up in University Lake. There is a urban watershed with a small bayou he could have went down, but it's so polluted . This bayou(Duplantier) connects to Ward's Creek that eventually leads to Bayou Manchac, Amite River into Lake Marapuas.

For years people in many areas have had to deal with the problem of deer and other animals clashing with humans, because as our cities continue to sprawl we're treading on their habitats more and more. This alligator thing is anything but new. As we venture into new areas in Louisiana, we're finding more and more of these. And it's not always where we'd expect to find them... sometimes, possibly even in this case, they move away from the habitat we've pushed them out of and wind up settling into more urban digs. It's a scary thought... as much as I love to look at gators, I don't want to find them in the city. I've seen that many times around here, so I can imagine it's probably more common than one may think in south Louisiana. Even when they began Island Park construction they found a gator so large it had to be destroyed. Thankfully one of the construction supers was nice enough to provide my wife with some good pics before he was destroyed.

MORE CHANGES IN STORE FOR DOWNTOWN BR

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=4768902

Riverplace Condo's to be taller than the State Capitol ? IMO the Condo Tower will not be quite as tall as the Capitol, but it should be very close.

Great article, Richy! Do you know anything about that "third hotel in the works" that was talked about in the article?

About Riverplace, I think it will be somewhere around 420 feet, and maybe even taller, at the current floor count of 36. From what I know, the tower couldn't be higher than the State Capitol anyway, because of the building moratorium in downtown Baton Rouge which allows no buildings to be taller than the top of the 460 foot State Capitol. But we do know that Baton Rouge will have a new second tallest, as the current second tallest building in the city is the 310 foot One American Place. :D

We also can't forget about the proposed 240 foot "Laurel Street Tower," because if it is approved, it would pass up the 229 foot "Riverside Tower North" in downtown Baton Rouge to become the 4th tallest tower in the city. :D

pow011706.jpg

We also can't forget about the proposed 240 foot "Laurel Street Tower," because if it is approved, it would pass up the 229 foot "Riverside Tower North" in downtown Baton Rouge to become the 4th tallest tower in the city. :D

pow011706.jpg

That's a cool-looking building, and it will only add to the renaissance that's going on in Baton Rouge.

Great article, Richy! Do you know anything about that "third hotel in the works" that was talked about in the article?

About Riverplace, I think it will be somewhere around 420 feet, and maybe even taller, at the current floor count of 36. From what I know, the tower couldn't be higher than the State Capitol anyway, because of the building moratorium in downtown Baton Rouge which allows no buildings to be taller than the top of the 460 foot State Capitol. But we do know that Baton Rouge will have a new second tallest, as the current second tallest building in the city is the 310 foot One American Place. :D

The third hotel is the old King Hotel. It was recently purchased from Bob Dean. The group that purchased the building recently announced that they will turn it into a boutique hotel with 9-100 rooms. It sits across the street from the Capitol House Hotel.

The third hotel is the old King Hotel. It was recently purchased from Bob Dean. The group that purchased the building recently announced that they will turn it into a boutique hotel with 9-100 rooms. It sits across the street from the Capitol House Hotel.

Hey, I knew that name sounded familiar... Bob Dean. So I ran a quick Google search and found this article from the Shreveport Times. It appears he just sold 3 buildings and a couple of parking lots he owned in downtown Shreveport.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...406016/0/LIVING

This guy must be loaded to have owned all these buildings. And he's only getting richer by selling them off. A smart businessman, that's for sure.