Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

"River Palms to open in April

The River Palms condominiums, a 98-unit downtown development, is scheduled to open April 1. Steven Davis, who is developing the project on North Third Street, told Downtown Development District commissioners last week that the project was "75% complete.

Edited by dan326

"River Palms to open in April

The River Palms condominiums, a 98-unit downtown development, is scheduled to open April 1. Steven Davis, who is developing the project on North Third Street, told Downtown Development District commissioners last week that the project was "75% complete." The River Palms apartment complex is undergoing a $4 million conversion to turn it into condos. Units in the development are priced between $89,900 for one bedroom and $149,900 for two bedrooms."

If this is the same building as "The Palms on Third" I hope the update the facade.

It can't be the same building, I haven't seen any work done on that one. I was curious as to which building this project was. I haven't heard of this one before. That is certainly not bad prices either for those. I wonder how big the 2 bedroom is tho for that price. Wheres Richy he'd know which building it is LOL

^ I think River Palms is a former hotel being converted to apts.

It has really been impressive to see the explosive growth of residentail units around BR post-Katrina! There was definetly an underserved apt./condo market before; however things are quickly changing! When will it become over-built??

This is a long list of recently completed projects; or projects currently going up; or almost ready.....

*Perkins Rowe... 317-units (Bluebonnet Blvd./Perkins Road)

*Ivy Park... 252-units (Jones Creek Rd. near Tiger Bend Rd.)

*Tuscany Reserve... 274-units (Siegen Marketplace near I-10)

*Millenium Towne Center...276-units (Jefferson Hwy.)

*The Enclave @ Towne Center...270-units (off Corporate Blvd.) >> with parking garage

*Bristol....324-units (Siegen between I-10/Airline Hwy.)>> with parking garage

*Camden Lakes...224 units (O'Neal south of I-12)

*Regent ...318-units (Millerville Rd. at I-12)

*Jefferson Crossing...180-units

*Highland Club....44-units (Jefferson Hwy. south of Highland Rd.)

*Canterbury House....216-units (So.Sherwood Forest Blvd./So.Harrel's Ferry Rd.)

*Mallard Crossing...216-units (No.Sherwood/Greenwell Springs Rd.)

*Hooper Pointe...176-units (Hooper Rd.)

*Crescent at University Lake...165-units (Stanford Ave. @ BR Beach)

*Fieldhouse Gameday Condo's...99-units (Nicholson/Northgate LSU)

*Victory Commons....52-units (Nicholson/Northgate LSU)

*Preserve @ Longwood....330-units (Nicholson south)

*Stone Lake...60-units; 1st phase (Burbank Exwy.)

*Madison Park....75-units (Lobdell Ave./Goodwood Ave.)

*Arlington Trace...74-units (Brightside Ln; south of LSU)

*St.Louis Pointe... 24-units (Bard Ave.)

*Southern Woods....60-units (Hooper Rd.)

*Cottages @ Southfork....93-units (off So.Sherwood Forest Blvd.)

*Aubin Court.....units??45+ Aubin Lane

*Baywood Quarters....56-units (Boardwalk Ave./No.Harrel's Ferry Rd)

*Villa Ashley....50 duplex units (off No.Ardenwood)

*Brookstown West...25-houses

*Banyan Trace Phase II...20-houses (McClelland/Hollywood Ave.)

Also....Downtown

*River Palms....98-units (No.Third Street)

*Brownstones at Laurel.... 70- units (Laurel Street/Fifth Street)

*One Eleven....12-units (next to Shaw Arts Center)

*Kress @ Third & Main....units??

Still awaiting official news on....

River Place.... 119-units?? (Lafayette Street/River Rd/Laurel/Main Street)

Southgate Tower #4.... 100+units?? (Nicholson/Burbank)

Stadium Club.... 47-units (East Boyd)

I have not included Rouzan, La Vie, Settlement @Willow Grove, BRCC new apts, 19th Street Apts.

I'm sure there is some I missed.

I haven't heard anything.

More activity for WBR.

Port set to build security center; $3 million facility could open in 2009

The Port of Greater Baton Rouge could begin construction by this summer on an emergency command center on its West Baton Rouge property.

The proposed three-story, $3 million Marine Security Operations Center, which could open in early 2009, also would serve as dispatch facilities for all West Baton Rouge Parish firefighter and law enforcement agencies.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/14447427.html

Edited by richyb83

There are plenty of questions for the crew at the Downtown Development District to answer for us.... However I do not see a phone # on their website anymore. There are so many questions I don't know if they would have time to answer them all?? And I would not hold my breath getting a reply back from the website.

Here are some of the questions I would only hope they could answer:

*Any word from the Audubon Institute on what they might plan to build??

*When can we expect to see some renderings for the old Advocate site??

*An update on the plans for the EBRATS bldg. on North Boulevard next to the new Courthouse??

*What the latest on the property on Third Street at Florida Street??

*What's the status of the old Jumonville Warehouse on Lafayette Street across from the Hilton Capitol Center?? (Trahan architects may be able to answer this?)

*Anything new about re-developing the old 8-story Commerce bldg. on Third Street?? The "Palms on Third" sure got some hopes up!

*When to expect to see new renderings for the Onyxx bldg. on Third Street as the "last phase" of the Arts Block??

*When is Trahan ready to to re-do his block on North Blvd. at Sixth Street??

*What's up at the large block East of the State Capitol; now vacated(9-story Insurance bldg. that was demolished)

*And Richard Pries other property at the next block East of the Capitol (N.7th St.;N.6th St.;Lakeland; State Capitol Drive)?

* WHY all the confusion on the # of floors for II City Plaza??

**Of course anything possibly new on the River Place residential tower??

Maybe if we all here in the BR Forums could call/or write to DDD one-by-one, we could answer this; they would want to know "what's up" with all the recent phone calls?? :whistling:

All right team "Let's get to it"! :w00t: In no particular order: Bryde, Dan, Drew, flatiger, Buckett; BRJP, twstd, LT, all2neat, yisyis, Bobby, SE BR, cajun, Gauge, diner roll, brresident....And anybody else I missed. That just might have things covered?

Edited by richyb83

.......the story in the Advocate incorrectly refers to it as a dairy farm. It is located on (the old) Plank Rd at Choctaw. This large historical building has been vacant since who knows when and when complete will be perfect for this use. It will also put some much needed energy into the old NBR community. The film company is making a huge presence in BR, joining with three other film studios wanting to be part of "Hollywood South".

Skinny Giraffe Films, the Baton Rouge film-production company, said Wednesday it could have a deal in place within the next month to buy an old dairy farm in north Baton Rouge that would be converted to a $10 million film studio.

Kirk Kepper of Skinny Giraffe said the 150,000-square-foot creamery near Choctaw Drive and Interstate 110 is owned by the Claitor family and dates back to the 1920s.

Kepper said his company plans to refurbish the main building and transform it to a film production facility.

^Nice building for a movie studio :thumbsup:

Good to see all the new construction going on downtown! :shades: And the renovation of some historic properties.

The 2nd Phase of the Shaw Arts Block is well under way. One Eleven going up to the right; the old Stroube's bldg.(left) being renovated

feb08012eu8.jpg

Construction at One Eleven from the 4th floor of the Shaw Center for the Arts; City Plaza in background

feb08020im0.jpg

The newly restored wrought iron fence nearly complete around the Old State Capitol; crane in far background right at the new 9-story parking garage for the Belle of BR

feb08018so8.jpg

The historic Kress @ Third being renovated into a mixed-use building

feb08034bv5.jpg

The Kress @ Third and Main will contain 19 residential units; 10,000 sq. ft. of office space and 75-seat theatre

feb08036vn9.jpg

The new II City Plaza rising up; looking to the East

feb08023ni1.jpg

Great pics, Richy.

"Upscale bowling could be coming to B.R.

AMF Bowling Centers is set to launch Avenue E, an upscale bowling alley, and Baton Rouge might be one of the first markets. The company plans to open six to eight Avenue E locations in the next two years, with the first planned for metro Phoenix. Along with Baton Rouge, other potential locations include Kansas City, Mo., Charlotte, N.C., and San Antonio, Texas. Avenue E will feature first-class bar and restaurant facilities, along with private lanes, party rooms and oversized arcades with up to 100 games. AMF operates more than 350 bowling centers across the U.S."

Thats some good company.

Here's the latest update on the old Advocate spot. From the business report-

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

Plenty of interest in Advocate's former site

Banks and companies looking for high-quality office space have expressed interest in the old Advocate site downtown, but there is no timetable for developing the property, says the attorney who is spearheading the development. Charles Landry says the Manship family is interested in doing a special project on the Lafayette Street site, something that adds to downtown. "No one is interested in doing another office building or an ordinary residence," Landry says. Right now, plans are to build a mixed-use development, with condominiums, offices and retail, but the exact mix of parts has not been determined. There had been talk about the Baton Rouge Area Chamber moving its offices into the building, but Landry says those plans are up in the air, now that BRAC President Stephen Moret left to head Louisiana Economic Development, and his interim replacement, Steven Grissom, will join LED next month. It's still a possibility BRAC will move into the building, but Landry says it will be up to the new leadership. The Manships are also taking their time with another prime piece of real estate-the vacant Advocate printing facility on Bluebonnet Boulevard. The lot offers rail access and is close to Baton Rouge General, Mall of Louisiana, Perkins Rowe and the Jimmy Swaggart Ministries complex. The family is patiently considering all of the offers they've received for the land. "They're not going to take the first offer that comes through the door," Landry says.

^Good question fla tiger. I'm with you on that boring French faux Paus (sp?) style. Some of the locals just can't seem to get enough of it. The original rendering sure looked much more promising.

I'm guessing that's the same site??

Yes that is the same project site and that is in fact a different rendering. Funny how things change. I got a little inside scoop on the where the new University Hospital could be. I can't exactly share where or what I heard but you guys will be floored with one of the locations being discussed. I know that Howell Place was one of the sites studied but some of our "higher up's" didn't want it at that location so it was scrapped. I think Howell Place would have been the perfect location.

Yes that is the same project site and that is in fact a different rendering. Funny how things change. I got a little inside scoop on the where the new University Hospital could be. I can't exactly share where or what I heard but you guys will be floored with one of the locations being discussed. I know that Howell Place was one of the sites studied but some of our "higher up's" didn't want it at that location so it was scrapped. I think Howell Place would have been the perfect location.

I sure hope one of the locations is in or around downtown. Maybe the old Woman's Hospitol would work, too.

It makes since to me.....perfect access for doctors, nurses, and it's right next to LSU and not too far from southern.

I sure hope one of the locations is in or around downtown. Maybe the old Woman's Hospitol would work, too.

It makes since to me.....perfect access for doctors, nurses, and it's right next to LSU and not too far from southern.

No it's not Woman's. That wouldn't be a good financial desicion to make. Woman's is an old building that's why they are building a new campus. LSU's already made that statement a while back. All locations being considered are in SEBR!!!!! I think that is a huge mistake, I hate that decision.

I think it will be on that large chunk of cleared land along I-10 between Essen and Bluebonnet. With multiple entrances like Essen Park and One Calais. As part of BR's emerging medical corridor; they want to be between the other hospitals; BR General at Bluebonnet and OLOL.

They just built the Greater BR Surgical Hospitol on Harding Blvd. in Howell Place.

No it's not Woman's. That wouldn't be a good financial desicion to make. Woman's is an old building that's why they are building a new campus. LSU's already made that statement a while back. All locations being considered are in SEBR!!!!! I think that is a huge mistake, I hate that decision.

It's their research hospital, and they can put it where they want to. They are limited by what land they can afford....which brings me to another guess involving GSRI lane. That is totally innapropriate considering it's a pain to get to from the freeway.

I (and all of you) have to keep in mind that the first purpose of this hospital is research and training. It's not charity.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the medical corridor. At least then we can have a Texas Medical center feel to Baton Rouge.

This doesn't mean that North Baton Rouge won't get a hospital (charity or otherwise) in the future. NBR is getting clinics and surgical centers (which also gives me the idea that Howell Place would be a great spot). EKL doesn't have that much of a footprint, either....so it doesn't need that much space.

There is a large chunk of land near Womans Hospital on Goodwood that would work well, too.

Edited by cajun

Well the thing with our University Hospital is the fact that it covers a 12 parish region. Having said that, for me that is more a reason not to put in in SEBR. That area is already over burdened with traffic so why invite more. The name will be "University Medical Center at Baton Rouge". Having heard the new proposal site, I say if it has to be in SEBR then it needs to be on that land in between Essen and Bluebonnet. Course I still say it needs to be in the same general area where EKL is.

Well the thing with our University Hospital is the fact that it covers a 12 parish region. Having said that, for me that is more a reason not to put in in SEBR. That area is already over burdened with traffic so why invite more. The name will be "University Medical Center at Baton Rouge". Having heard the new proposal site, I say if it has to be in SEBR then it needs to be on that land in between Essen and Bluebonnet. Course I still say it needs to be in the same general area where EKL is.

Well, you'd know if that was in the proposal more than I would.

I'd hope that it's on Essen/Bluebonnet and close to the freeway for ambulance access. The site off of Suma along the freeway would be my choice if it has to be in SEBR.....after my first choice in Howell Place.

This probably isn't going to be Baton Rouge's only research hospital, either. There's a whole new "other"economy in Baton Rouge- the biomedical industry.

Training these people is going to be a big dollar business. I expect other research and charity hospitals and clinics in the area.

Edited by cajun

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading real estate weekly this morning and it has some interesting info on building projects going on around the city. It also mentioned Southgate Towers. We assumed they were building the Stay Bridge Suites but now we have our conformation, it mentioned it in the article this morning. But I really think they are building more then that, unless they changed their "master plan", which is possible, they also seem to be drilling where the plan shows they should be building more towers, along with the hotel. I guess we will just have to wait and see.