Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

Another state office building maybe on the way.

State plans office building

Downtown site funding uncertain

By CHAD CALDER

Advocate business writer

Published: Mar 12, 2008 - Page: 1D - UPDATED: 12:05 a.m.

Despite an overextended capital outlay program, the Jindal administration still hopes to turn the

I think that is a great idea. I'd like to see it taller than 5 stories tho, but hell as long as it takes the place of the eyesore thats there now. When we first moved here and I found out that the state g'ment offices were spread across the city, I thought it was quite stupid to say the least. I'm glad to see all of the state g'ment offices are being consolidated downtown around the capital building. I think thats where it all should have been to begin with. My partner, who works for the state, has been telling me the lease is getting to run out on the space where his office is now and that they will probably be transplanted downtown. I'm hoping that when they do that I can talk him into buying a place either downtown or adjacent. hehe :shades:

This has been mentioned many times in the past and probably deserves it's own thread.

Thanks Gov. Jindal :good: Some people still just don't get it. <_< This world renown facility badly needs this! It would not even be an issue in more progressive places like North Carolina, Texas, Kansas City, etc.

Legislators say Pennington getting favored treatment

Legislators complained at length Thursday that the Jindal administration is favoring Pennington Biomedical Research Center over other higher education facilities.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/politics/16667571.html

penningtonbuildings0314xo8.jpg

I think they think that Governor Jindal is trying to help to his home town first, but Penington is (I think) the best research facility in Louisiana and if it looks good, the whole state will probably look better.

Edited by dan326

Is this a concept or is it going to happen? I haven't heard anything about this.

I found this on an article from Allbusiness.com from 9/12/06. It says that Blue Cross owns a 40 acre tract next to their headquarters that they are considering selling to developers for a retail/office development but that when the article was written, there were no concrete plans. That was in 2006 though. Maybe plans are underway now. This looks like a nice development. Something nice will go on that valuable land eventually. If not this then something similar.

Scroll to page four of this article,

http://www.allbusiness.com/finance/leasing/4085884-1.html

Look what I found! The Blue Shield is going to expand even more to include 5-90,000 sq ft of retail and 200,000 sq ft of office space in an outdoor setting. A friend of mine is working sometimes seven days a week over there.

97609865os1.jpg

Thanks for posting this Dan. I saw this from somewhere too. Looks pretty impressive. I remember a while back the design overlay district for all those suburban garden offices requested that none of those buildings for those tracts in fronting Blue Cross on Bluebonnet(north of I-10) not be taller than 3-stories.

I have seen this LEED development in the other forums here on UP. Looks like BR trying to catch on.

Chenevert Architects new building on Third Street pursuing enviromental designation.

LEED, which stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, is a voluntary process. An applicant accumulates points by designing the building in ways that encourage natural air flow and energy efficiency, as well as the use of public transportation and pre-existing parking facilities by the people who work there. Points are also given for reusing building materials such as bricks and timbers and using tradesmen and materials from within a certain distance from the building.

The first floor is 4,500 square feet with a 1,200-square-foot mezzanine. The second floor is leased out to another commercial tenant. The third floor has four apartments, two of which come up onto the roof. Nelson said three of the apartments have been leased.

Several other buildings in Baton Rouge have applied to become LEED-certified. Some are Chenevert design projects, including real estate broker Beau Box

I really like the baseball complex. It looks really good from the road. I hope it will have a positive affect for the area. My only worry is, is that the area, will hurt the complex, even if its only families noticeing what is across the street, and not feeling safe. I live on Burbank, and I dont even feel safe driving down gardeire, I lock my doors. But hopefully, it will have a postive effect.

I spoke to my friend that works at BCBS-LA and he said he doesn't know of any plans to expand beyond what is currently being done. If anything it wouldn't be for at least another 5yrs. I guess we'll have to wait and see how this plays out. I'd like for them to expand on Bluebonnet or for another developer to build on that property.

Yea, I am worried too. On the news tonight they were talking about the big condo bust and I thought,"well great." But , the houseing market here hasnt crashed, so i agree, that there is still hope.

Baton Rouge and Houston (and everywhere between) are the energy central of this country. Even Beaumont (arm pit of the USA!) is going to benefit from high gas prices.

My Uncle is a Realestate agent in Orlando, And he told me that those are the highest ranking right now, He also said that Orlando's market is almost the bottom,and they have had to reduce prices drastically on houses down there. I don't know how long though, Baton Rouge can sustain its current market, but it's still going. I say " Keep Building"!!!

My Uncle is a Realestate agent in Orlando, And he told me that those are the highest ranking right now, He also said that Orlando's market is almost the bottom,and they have had to reduce prices drastically on houses down there. I don't know how long though, Baton Rouge can sustain its current market, but it's still going. I say " Keep Building"!!!

Florida has been overbuilding for years. There just wasn't enough people with decent credit.

They made loans they shouldn't have and people couldn't upgrade because they couldn't sell their existing home and not take a loss.

It's the mortgage companies fault really....they just got too greedy.

That 1-12 project is such a small project in comparison to all that needs to be done. I mean dang, its the least they can do!

I was disappointed when i heard about the delays and how long it would take to get this project of the ground considering they cut it down to the first exit in Denham springs.

Just imagine how many more years it will take them to add lanes to walker... smh

IMO 1-10 should be widened to Highland IMMEDIATELY.... I-12 Should be widened to Walker... Immediately. I hate that the state can't offer better for its citizens.

Edited by BRPJ