Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

That 1-12 project is such a small project in comparison to all that needs to be done. I mean dang, its the least they can do!

I was disappointed when i heard about the delays and how long it would take to get this project of the ground considering they cut it down to the first exit in Denham springs.

Just imagine how many more years it will take them to add lanes to walker... smh

IMO 1-10 should be widened to Highland IMMEDIATELY.... I-12 Should be widened to Walker... Immediately. I hate that the state can't offer better for its citizens.

Yeah you right! So true BRPJ! <_<

What's up with this?? :dontknow: Even the sign said "construction to commence" March 1 2008 and Business Report said grounbreaking was a few weeks back. This would be another building if streched to double it's size would look fantastic downtown!

Even at 8 stories the office building at this small tract on Summa Ave. would look nice next to the 13-story Jacobs Plaza and the other taller buildings(like Shaw HQ's) in the Essen Lane corridor.

32608011eu9.jpg

Wish I had a pic of this nice size older building. Hopefully it will be put to good use??

Plank Road site on the market

A lot at Plank Road and South Choctaw Drive is on the market for $1.25 million. James Riley, an agent with NAI/Latter & Blum, has the listing for the 142,000-square-foot site, which used to house a movie theater and a bank. Riley is pitching the property as being suitable for the movie industry, for office/warehouse or for a bank. The site is across the street from the old Louisiana Creamery Building, which is being retooled for use as a movie studio.--Timothy Boone

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/rea...-weekly/latest/

I've got exciting news. :D A new micro-sized hotel is going up on the red square. The developer of La Vie is looking at buying the blue block of land and land is mostly likely going to be cleared behind the Centurion Place neighborhood all the way to the river, maybe an expansion?

85611129or8.jpg

I've got exciting news. :D A new micro-sized hotel is going up on the red square. The developer of La Vie is looking at buying the blue block of land and land is mostly likely going to be cleared behind the Centurion Place neighborhood all the way to the river, maybe an expansion?

85611129or8.jpg

I don't like this at all.... They need to change this to an actual neighborhood instead of a shopping mall. There will be way too much traffic for just one light at Wal Mart. It has the residential, but I'd rather see group of office buildings there.

Do they really need another power center with one going up at Millerville Road? Can't they design more Rouzon or Perkins Rowe type neighborhoods where people actually live in the same areas that they shop and not in a big parking lot?

When I said that I like the open air centers, I don't mean the half-baked stuff like this.

Where is all this demand coming from?? I'm with cajun on that one; with Millerville's new big power center and possibly more retail-type development at Millerville Greens so close to each other. O'Neal Lane would need some serious upgrades and some frontage roads along I-12 with a new interchange would also be needed.

What kind of expansion could La Vie develop with such a narrow strip of land?? And Centurion Place expansion seems like it would surely flood. Hopefully they leave the Amite River greenbelt alone and make some kind of urban growth boundry.

The amount of new hotels going up in the BR area is staggering.

Well Baton Rouge metro has historically gained about 70,000 people each 10 years, so maybe that? I hate to say it, but I think NOLA's time as shopping mecca of the Southeastern Gulf may be over. My Mom who loves to shop, say we probably have all the same stores or better now.

Also I'm sorry to say, but I don't think Rouzan is disserving of interstate frontage. I love that they build huge shopping centers along the interstate, it makes the city look more impressive. It does need more lights and lanes though. Three things it doesn't show is the proposed interstate exit and the connection to the Oschner entrance and South Harrells Ferry. If anything I hope this and the Grove come to fruitation.

Edited by dan326

No doubt the Gulf South I-10/12 Corridor is Hot! And BR's Interstates have become "Main Street". I like all the development that goes along the Interstates too; it's does make our city look bigger.

Rouzan is fine where it is; Libraries don't belong next to Interstates IMO; and Rouzan does not want the big box development anyway. Just a quaint neighborhood village-type setting.

I like that BR can be included in the American South; Deep South and Gulf South.

Edited by richyb83

I think a power center on O'neal wouldn't be a bad thing. It will service the ppl closest to D.S and Walker. I already made the comment that BR is like a smaller Houston, we sprawl everywhere. In Houston you have miles and miles of suburbs, which is exactly what BR is becoming. I do think they should wait until they widen O'neal to make the Central Thruway. I think it would be cool if LaVie does expand to the other side of the interstate that they would have their own overpass to use, with no entrances/exits to 12. I think that whole area from O'neal to the Amite is just one big flood zone, I wouldn't live there.... :shades:

I hate to say it, but I think NOLA's time as shopping mecca of the Southeastern Gulf may be over.

I actually think it's been that way for quite some time now. For as long as I can remember, I've seen basically the same national stores in Baton Rouge as I've seen in New Orleans. It may not have been that way 20 years ago, but I'd say that for at least 10 years, there has been no real dropoff of "big name" stores in BR and NOLA. I know quite a few people in Baton Rouge, and while just about all of them come to New Orleans often to use the airport, dine, gamble/drink/party, etc. I don't know of a single one that has ever come this way simply to shop. At this point, high-end retailers are growing in both cities, and there are stores in Baton Rouge, like Apple, that aren't in New Orleans, and stores in New Orleans, like Saks Fifth Avenue or Kenneth Cole, that aren't in Baton Rouge. But I'd be willing to bet that the high-end retailers in both cities will even up in the next decade as well.

And I've gotta say, Dan, I don't think I've heard anyone put "New Orleans" "shopping" and "mecca" together in one sentence unless they were talking about the city many decades ago. That's honestly a first for me. :lol:

I actually think it's been that way for quite some time now. For as long as I can remember, I've seen basically the same national stores in Baton Rouge as I've seen in New Orleans. It may not have been that way 20 years ago, but I'd say that for at least 10 years, there has been no real dropoff of "big name" stores in BR and NOLA. I know quite a few people in Baton Rouge, and while just about all of them come to New Orleans often to use the airport, dine, gamble/drink/party, etc. I don't know of a single one that has ever come this way simply to shop. At this point, high-end retailers are growing in both cities, and there are stores in Baton Rouge, like Apple, that aren't in New Orleans, and stores in New Orleans, like Saks Fifth Avenue or Kenneth Cole, that aren't in Baton Rouge. But I'd be willing to bet that the high-end retailers in both cities will even up in the next decade as well.

And I've gotta say, Dan, I don't think I've heard anyone put "New Orleans" "shopping" and "mecca" together in one sentence unless they were talking about the city many decades ago. That's honestly a first for me. :lol:

Phew. -_- I thought you were coming to beat me up. :lol: I guess I just equated 1.3+ million population with dominance in everything. Well, I hope things do even out becuase I want one of those Saks. :D

I guess I just equated 1.3+ million population with dominance in everything. Well, I hope things do even out becuase I want one of those Saks. :D

The extra population will bring more of a certain store to the area, but not necessarily bigger names. So NOLA and BR would have the same mid-level department stores, but there may be one or two more in this area because of the larger suburbs. But in the meantime, I'll have to head to Baton Rouge for any special Apple accessories I may need, and you'll have to head to New Orleans to spend way too much money on clothes at Saks. Though I have seen Angelina Jolie at Saks twice in the last year, which certainly makes the experience of emptying your wallet a bit more enjoyable. ;)

The building going up in Siegen MarketPlace is going to be a ShoeStation. I sure hope it's nicer than the Hammond Aire one. That place is messy, shoe and boxes just thrown everywhere.

Hammond Aire is a giant cluster f-ck. It's busy as hell most of the time, the traffic is heavy, and if you are talking about the same Shoe Station, then it's always filled with people. I'm sure the store managers don't intend for it to be all messy, but they are crazy busy.

Anyone else hearing of problems Spinosa is having at Perkins Rowe? Its a beautiful development for sure but I spoke with someone who insures contractors that are working on the project and several of them have leins on Spinosa right now because they aren't being paid. I hear Tommy owes hundreds of thousands (millions total) to various people.

This cannot bode well for Rouzan's future. I would think that Tommy would have to take care of Perkins Rowe business first before starting Rouzan. I live in close proximity to Rouzan and was looking forward to seeing this project develop, now I have my concerns that Rouzan development may not begin for several years. :(

"Hammond Aire is a giant cluster f-ck. It's busy as hell most of the time, the traffic is heavy, and if you are talking about the same Shoe Station, then it's always filled with people. I'm sure the store managers don't intend for it to be all messy, but they are crazy busy."

I don't see why the BR area doesn't have multiple Marshall's or Stein Mart stores, like the greater Jackson, MS area which is smaller in population than GBR. I am hopeful that when the Target Supercenter is built at Lee/Burbank (anyone have any updates on that development?) it will include some of those stores (Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Stein Mart).

I try to aviod Hammond Aire as much as possible because of the terrible traffic and parking.

Anyone else hearing of problems Spinosa is having at Perkins Rowe? Its a beautiful development for sure but I spoke with someone who insures contractors that are working on the project and several of them have leins on Spinosa right now because they aren't being paid. I hear Tommy owes hundreds of thousands (millions total) to various people.

This cannot bode well for Rouzan's future. I would think that Tommy would have to take care of Perkins Rowe business first before starting Rouzan. I live in close proximity to Rouzan and was looking forward to seeing this project develop, now I have my concerns that Rouzan development may not begin for several years. :(

How about this: I am a structural engineer contracted by a design-build construction company who hasn't paid my company since December because they haven't been paid by the developer since November. I keep getting paid by my company....but there is always the thought of lay offs in my mind.

It has to do with the financing crunch...not Spinosa. This will probably put Rouzon on hold. Because of some bad decisions made by mortgage companies (making loans that people couldn't afford and having them default).

It's a national trend, and it will probably last until at least June or July.

A couple of mixed-use projects with residential loft living on Third Street :shades:

One Eleven is set to open in September. The mixed-use building on Third Street will have 5,000 square feet of office space, along with 12 apartments right next to the Shaw Center for the Arts. White-Spunner Construction is building One Eleven for Commercial Properties Development Corp., and Remson-Haley-Herpin are the architects. The old Stroube bldg. to the left has been gutted and will become a restuarant.

41308008pe9.jpg

Just 4 1/2 blocks up Third Street, the redevelopment of The Kress @ Third & Main is progressing along; the inside was gutted and the historic exterior is being kept and worked on. It will include 22 residential spaces; office, retail and possible 75-seat small box-theatre??

32608032zw2.jpg

To the left, the Capitol One is hideous and in need of a face-lift!

32608040qk1.jpg

Edited by richyb83

That is a sweet looking building. I LOVE IT!!!! Talk about give the 3rd St. "gateway" a nice modern feel. It's a great mixture with modern on one side and then the historic feel on the opposite corner. I think one of my favorite types of development (redevelopment) besides towers is when they take a historic building leave the shell, gut the inside and redevelop it. Kind of like the Kress, Levy, Welsh building, and what Chevernert did with their building, with adding the modern loft space on the roof. :shades: