Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

Not too much of a suprise, but residential lofts at One Eleven and at Kress sure won't be cheap $$$! When news of the re-designed Brownstones come? it should be much more affordable.

Downtown BR residences coming online

Small and mid-sized residential projects are coming online in downtown Baton Rouge even as the central business district waits for large residential towers to emerge on the scene.

The $18 million Kress at Third and Main retail, residential and commercial project by Cyntreniks LLC is beginning leasing for sixteen apartments, sales for three condominums and leasing for 18,000 square feet of ground floor retail space and 12,500 square feet of office space.

A few blocks south on Third Street, another residential project begins pre-leasing today. Commercial Properties Realty Trust is developing the $3.5 million liner building between the Shaw Center for the Arts and the Roux House, where 12 apartments will be available on the Arts Block.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/19662739.html

Same projects with added info...

Third Street leasing to start

Each developer is bringing a new restaurant to the Third Street scene as well: Construction is under way for the 6,800-square-foot Stroube

Edited by richyb83

Looky look at what else I found. I think it's neat, but be warned, if you hate Seigen MarketPlace are going to really hate this. Segien MarketPlace is adding 11 more big-box retailers and 5 site site more outparcels sites as acorrding to this recent site plan, notice it include the new Shoe Station going up.

seigenmarketplacemm7.jpg

Edited by dan326

Third Street almost needs it's own thread....

More good news for the re-emerging Third Street corridor. Good to see yet another surface parking lot will be filled up with a multi-story building! Can't wait to see a rendering; even if it's a few years away. That's at a prime interesection across from the Coca-Cola sign.

Downtown site sold for mixed-use development

Two top executives with Stonehenge Capital have purchased part of a parking lot at Florida and Third streets and plan to build an office-retail-residential project on the site. Third Street Acquisition bought the 7,400-square-foot property from St. James Episcopal Church for $504,805 in a deal that closed Friday. Third Street is made up of Thomas Adamek, Stonehenge's president, and Gordon LeBlanc Jr., a managing director for the firm. The land fronts Third Street and is adjacent to Stonehenge's offices, LeBlanc says. Development of the site, in the middle of the downtown arts district, is "a couple of years out" LeBlanc says. The plan is to build a multi-story, mixed-use development, with retail on the ground floor, offices above that and residences on the top. St. James still has about 15,000 square feet of the property fronting Florida; the church plans to build a parking structure on the site around the same time work starts on the mixed-use building.

I was wondering what St James was going to do with the lot, because I remember they had purchased it. I think they made an awesome decision selling part of the lot to a developer. Now there are only two surface lots left on third street. Laurel and third, which i could see something happening with since it is a privately owned parking lot, and main and third, which i dont see something happening to any time soon, since its owned by capitol one, and their crappy building. <_<

This is great news for 3rd St. It's a small lot tho, thats my concern for something like this. I mean the church is still keeping part of the lot. They say "multi story", I wonder how many stories they are talking about. Can't wait to see the renderings for this, it's such a prime corner for a mixed use development. :shades:

Yeah, the term "multi-story" is so broad it's really hard to say. It could be only 4 or 5 or on up.....15 to 22 would be nice; but I'd really be suprised to see it more than 10 to 12, if that much?? Depending if the mixed-use office/residential goes on top of the parking garage??

15 to 22 stories technically would be considered "high-rise" according to Emporis.com; especially here in BR. That may only be a "mid-rise" somewhere like Houston :lol:

Speaking of mid-rise......FINALLY! This has been posted a few times here on UP and was supposed to breakground back in March; this is an example of "build it and they will come". This is the first Class A office space on Essen since the Shaw HQ's was built; this 8-story office building should be a great addition to the emerging mini-skyline along the Eseen Lane corridor.

spatzdevelopmentvuyz3.jpg

Work starts on Essen Lane office building

Construction has started on a 90,000-square-foot office building at Essen Lane and Summa Avenue. Spatz Development of Chicago is building the eight-story spec property despite rumblings it wouldn't happen because of the financial risks until a major tenant got on board. While no tenants have signed contracts yet for the property, Ben Graham and Robert Pettit of NAI/Latter & Blum Realtors, who are serving as leasing agents, say a number of large firms are eyeing spots. "The demand for office space is there," Pettit says. "It's just a matter of getting out of the ground. That will motivate the tenants that are floating around." This is the first Class A office building to be built on Essen Lane since The Shaw Group opened its headquarters just north of Interstate 10. Milton Womack is handling construction of the unnamed building, with WHL serving as the architect. Plans are to open the building by September 2009.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/rea...-weekly/latest/

I passed by there the other day and they really have started contruction. The site has been cleared and there are some heavy machinery vehicles.

You're right, this will be a great addition. I figure it will be about as big tall as the one the two shortest Jacob towers.

"Little Village owners plan seafood restaurant in Kress at Third & Main

The owners of the popular Little Village restaurant are planning to open a second downtown fine-dining spot this fall in the refurbished Kress at Third & Main building. A letter of intent is in place for the Little Village Fish House to move into a spot along Third Street, says John Schneider, president of Cyntreniks of Baton Rouge, which is redeveloping the Kress building. Cyntreniks is negotiating with several other retail tenants, including a deli, which would sell breakfasts and light lunches and then serve desserts and cordials at night, a movie theater and a regional women's clothing store. The plan would be to have the restaurants, women's store and theater on Third Street. On the Main Street side, potential tenants include a pharmacy, an urgent care clinic and a credit union, Schneider says. "That would take up the whole first floor," he says. Cyntreniks is talking with several tenants about the 12,500 square feet of office space on the second floor; Schneider says the developers would like to see one tenant take up all that space, but if that doesn't happen, the area would be divided up among smaller businesses. As for the residential component of the building, Schneider says the three for sale units, which range in price from $445,000 to $490,000, are being shown "pretty much at least once a day" to potential tenants. There are commitments for two of the 16 lofts and apartments for lease. Kress at Third & Main is scheduled to open in September."

Thanks for the tour of some the string of new developments in SE BR. Looks like you got caught in that intense thunder-storm that rolled thru this afternoon?? Hope The Grove gets still gets built; that's going to be a massive development! Were you able to get that Wiki shot for The Boulevard. I have been very busy lately and have not forgotten; looking forward to taking some pics soon :thumbsup:

I want to start a new thread on the Kress at Third. It's been posted numerous times over the recent months. However would hate to only have a few comments for this topic. This mixed-use renovation project is a bigger step in the right direction for downtown than many realize. They are making good progress now; part of the historic fascade looks really nice!

Edited by richyb83

^No problem Dan :thumbsup:

2008 DOWNTOWN PROJECT OVERVIEW- as of May 2008

Projects in Planning or Under Construction

*Expansion of the River Center........ 16.0 Million

*River Place Condominiums....... 70.0 Million

*II City Plaza.......... 70.0 Million

*DeSoto Park........ 11.0 Million

*Levee Bike Path........ 1.0 Million

*Causey Building Renovation....... Budget N/A

*19th Judicial Courthouse....... 113.0 Million

*Capitol Park Amphitheatre....... 2.0 Million

*North Boulevard Town Square..... 4.5 Million

*Oneleven

It's a new 3-story office building going up just off of Jefferson Hwy. next to I-12 just behind the sound wall. It's behind the Gastro-sp?? medical clinic. Business Report recently announced they would be moving from City Plaza(where they were leasing) into the Cardinal Hill office building.

Nice to see work finally begining at the Summa Tower site! This new 8-story building will look great next to Jacobs Plaza!

61508035dr3.jpg

I never envisioned an 8-story building going up at that location; it's going to give the Essen Lane corridor a different look :shades:

61508036bb0.jpg

Edited by richyb83

They've almost finished clearing the land for Arlington Creek Centre at Burbank and Lee. It's already transformed the Lee Drive corridor tremendously. Mike Anderson's is a lot more visible now. Does anyone know if they will be doing any road construction(besides the widening of Burbank) in this area to handle the extra traffic? It would be nice if they added left turn lanes to Lee where it intersects with Burbank.

Thanks Dan :thumbsup:

Yeah nqiunt1, I saw that too, finally they are clearing the land! No doubt that's going to transform that area; it's badly needed IMO. Turn lanes will be a must. BR needs more new turn-lanes all over the place.

If Arlington Creek still plans on having a residential componet?? I would only hope it looked something like this :shades:

townhomesphotoru5.gif

Thanks Dan :thumbsup:

Yeah nqiunt1, I saw that too, finally they are clearing the land! No doubt that's going to transform that area; it's badly needed IMO. Turn lanes will be a must. BR needs more new turn-lanes all over the place.

If Arlington Creek still plans on having a residential componet?? I would only hope it looked something like this :shades:

townhomesphotoru5.gif

That would really complement the look of Arlington Creek Centre :thumbsup:

I dont believe Arlington Creek will have a residential component. Here is a link to the developer's Website. There is an image on the page, but it won't load on my computer, maybe y'all will have more luck and can post it here. Also, if you click on the "property flyer" link, there is a rendering. I would guess this would be a rendering of the development, but who knows, could just be for marketing, but if it is a rendering, it looks like it will be the nicest "strip mall" in BR second to only Towne Center.