Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

:( What a jip, I can't believe that all that is going. I'm not too impressed with the divisions that are staying either, they're more of a consolation prizes than anything else. Oh well, I guess we still technically have the "headquarters" since we still have the CEO working downtown.

WOW! Didn't realize this project next to the proposed Arlington Creek was in the works for so long!!! However the upside-down credit market won't make this happen for another year?? Would like to see some renderings.

Nicholson development goes back to Planning Commission after eight-year gap

More than eight years after it was first approved, a mixed-use development at Nicholson Drive and Ben Hur Road is going back before the Planning Commission this evening. Intercap Institutional Investors of Austin, Texas, is amending its plan for the 546-acre Burbank University Planned Unit Development from 1,020 single-family and duplex units to 1,590 medium-density units and from 1 million square feet of commercial/office space to 1.2 million square feet of commercial/office space. The new plan calls for 288 acres to remain open, while the plan approved in August 2000 had 267 acres of open space. Greg Edens of Intercap says there's "nothing really substantially different"; the development will contain a mix of housing aimed at students and seniors to go along with retail. "We just have information today that we didn't have in 2000, in terms of demographics," Edens says. Why did it take eight years for Intercap to go ahead with the development? Edens says it has to do with the oil and gas leases on the property and clearing up the mineral rights and the title issues. If the Planning Commission approves the concept plan, it could still be a while before construction starts on the unnamed mixed use development; Edens says the credit markets are still "upside down". -Timothy Boone

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

I like the modern arcitecture of the new office buildings set for Towne Center's business park. The french-faux-paus architecture of the suburban garden offices that is so common around BR is played out!

p1020218t240sq1.jpg

Business Report Real Estate Property of the Week

A new headquarters building for Republic Finance is under construction in the Towne Center at Cedar Lodge. The 27,000 square foot office is set to open by the end of the year. Lincoln Builders is handling construction and Robert M. Coleman & Partners is the architect.

I was wondering what the posters on the board might think of this architecture?? Glad that you like it too Buckett :thumbsup: I have been wanting to take apic of this too. Looking forward to seeing what the twin 4-5 story buildings will look like up against Corporate Blvd?? Hopefully more of this??

I like the modern arcitecture of the new office buildings set for Towne Center's business park. The french-faux-paus architecture of the suburban garden offices that is so common around BR is played out!

p1020218t240sq1.jpg

Business Report Real Estate Property of the Week

A new headquarters building for Republic Finance is under construction in the Towne Center at Cedar Lodge. The 27,000 square foot office is set to open by the end of the year. Lincoln Builders is handling construction and Robert M. Coleman & Partners is the architect.

Edited by richyb83

Yep Dan, that would be the CAMD Bldg; just think that was supposed to be BR's Future Silicon Valley corridor that never panned out; LaTechnologyPark at Bonne Carre is what finally become of that.

Here's some good news despite all the depressing economic woes nation-wide....Can't wait to see some renderings of this!! This development is going to be a nice SUPRISE when it's complete. The Nicholson corridor between downtown & LSU deserves something nice like this!! Wonder what's the status is with the old Prince Murat property???

Nicholson mixed-use project getting bigger

A mixed-use development planned for the section of Nicholson Drive between downtown and LSU is getting bigger. According to real estate records, Nicholson Estates, a partnership between Lafayette oilman Mike Moreno and White Sands Development Group of Leesburg, Fla., has purchased 11 lots since late April. This comes after Moreno bought 10 acres in March. David Trusty, an agent with Gully, Phelps & McKey who helped package the sale, says the plan is to acquire more than 20 acres. "They're just filling in the footprint," he says. Moreno has been playing his plans close to the vest, but Lafayette architect Steve Oubre is working on the project, which he says will be a mix of residential, commercial and civic spaces. "It's an exciting time," Trusty says.

IReaching back into the dusty archives of my mind, I think I remember seeing somethin about this on the news a long time ago. This is probably naive to say, but I think this might show the strength of the B.R. market that they are still going to go through with this. And the fact that the man's name is "Trusty" makes me feel better too. :D

Edited by dan326

Here's some good news despite all the depressing economic woes nation-wide....Can't wait to see some renderings of this!! This development is going to be a nice SUPRISE when it's complete. The Nicholson corridor between downtown & LSU deserves something nice like this!! Wonder what's the status is with the old Prince Murat property???

This is some very positive news. I hope the old Prince Murat property is a part of the 20 acres they plan to purchase.

^Unless something has changed?? I think this is two separate developers...Quadrants(if I remember correctly?) will develop the old Prince Murat site. These two projects should intertwine; just the type of synergy this area needs. The Red Stick urban lofts are cool too.

More of the Red Stick Lofts would look great at the old Prince Murat site.

NNNOOOOOOOO!!! :cry: All this waiting for two stories!? I'd rather them just ride out the recession until they can build something better.

"Summa office building gets new look

Spatz Development of Chicago has changed plans for its office building at Essen Lane and Summa Avenue. The building now will be two stories, with 70,000 square feet of space, instead of an eight-story tower with 92,000 square feet of space. Spatz says the change will let the developer to reduce effective rents by one-third. "This will get us down to the high teens-low 20s per square foot, instead of in the high 20s," says Bryan Spatz. The company plans to put dirt and landscape the roof in order to keep the building cooler; Spatz says he might also seek green certification. Two tenants will take up the first floor: Learning World, a Spatz-affiliated day care center, and Jumpin' Jungle, a play and party facility. Spatz says he's hoping to get another 15,000-square-foot tenant before going ahead with construction. "There's just not a ton of expansion going on now, because of what's going on in the financial markets," he says. The office building should be completed by the end of 2009."

Was going to post this...but had to get a battery for my stranded Dad's truck.

Yeah this is very disapointing news. Just a sign of the times. Totally agree Dan, wish they would just wait. How does it go from a vertical 8 to only two stories??? Would have settled for 4 or 5. I had a hard time envisioning an 8-story building being built on that small tract on Summa; guess I see why now. <_<

Only the new Courthouse is going to be taller than the original plan from 9 now to 12-stories. Everything elseso far is/has been shorter.

At this point I'll take any nice new development we can get;Kress at Third; Acadian Village redevelopment; Nicholson urban corridor infil are thankfully still in the works. As well as some of the new hotels too. But I'm now wondering how this effects Perkins Rowe's 2nd phase?? The Grove; LaVie; RiverPark and The Brownstones on Laurel & Fifth?? Are these really on "hold" with this credit crisis??

Edited by richyb83

Though this is still going to be a while....this will really make the multiple projects along the Nicholson corridor urban-infil MUCH MORE desirable!!! :) And allow more room for future growth!! Plans for one of the mixed-use developments should be realeased soon!

Sewer project will free up land between downtown, LSU

The $1.2 billion sewer improvement program under way in Baton Rouge will have an impact on the local real estate market. As part of the project, which will be fully completed at the end of 2014, the Central Sewage Plant on River Road will be closed. That will free up 20 acres on the riverfront between downtown and LSU, Mayor Kip Holden says. Michael Ellis, CH2M Hill's deputy program director for the parish sewer project, says work on closing the plant should start next year.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/rea...-weekly/latest/

^Was looking forward to taking some updated construction pics of the Summa/Essen office tower; but since the change in plans to only two-stories probably won't even bother :rolleyes:

The new look for Stroube's Chophouse look very nice; but still like the original plan better. It would have served as a nice little gateway onto Third Street

The New look for Stroube's Chophouse

A new rendering for the Stroube

I don't see why they couldn't have just made it an empty atrium. Oh well. -_-

I confused with how they are going to fit a 70,000 square foot, 2 story building with surface parking on that tiny piece of land? And didn't they already pour the concrete? Hopefully, it will end up like the Towne Center office building.

I sure hope they don't try to do a knock off version of The Grove. I would rather they just wait and do it right.

^ Me too Dan.

Perkins Road has become "BR's Hottest" development corridor!!!! Perkins Oak; Acadian Village; old Perkins Hardware mixed-use; Southdown's Village; Perkins Lane; Rouzan(w/ new library branch); Pennington Biomedical Research Center expansion; Perkins Palms; X-treme sports park; BR Clinic expansion; new shopping center anchored by Ichoban sushi bar; Bluebonnet Village expansion; Perkins Rowe!; other smaller developments + the widening from Essen to Siegen!

>>This is "2" separate articles on Perkins Oak; an upscale/gated development across from Acadian Village. Where are people getting all the $money from?? Interesting to see exactly what kind of NOLA Uptown-style look it will have??? A 400 year old Oak tree will be the centerpiece! Thankfully Gustav did not take care of that!

Cheyenne begins residential project

Edited by richyb83

Very nice to see this historic property being put back into good use! Another block of Third Street coming up!!

Kress at Third & Main

A ribbon-cutting will be held at 10 a.m. Tuesday for the Kress at Third & Main building. The ceremony caps off the redevelopment of the historic building, where the state

Is the a$king $price for the property too much??? How much longer will this stay vacant?? Mid City has been gruadually coming back; but this prime location would put it over the top! This could be similar to Acadian Village with residential lofts on top of retail; with the grocery market being the anchor.

Westmoreland Shopping Center back on the market

Another plan to redevelop the Westmoreland Shopping Center has fallen through, and the Mid City property is once again on the market. Visconsi Companies of suburban Cleveland wanted to build a 48,000-square-foot grocery store in the center and an additional 28,400 square feet of retail space. Plans were to open the center in early 2009. But in a letter sent Monday to Robert Cangelosi, Visconsi officials said they were terminating the deal because it wouldn't hold together. Redeveloping Westmoreland has been a longstanding goal of Mid City officials, who see it as the key to stimulating growth along Government Street. There has been some talk that the high asking price is deterring development. The nine-acre shopping center has a $6 million price tag. Over the past four years, there have been several attempts to redevelop the center, including one plan to build a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market and another to include a mix of housing, retail and office space.

Edited by richyb83

Though this is still going to be a while....this will really make the multiple projects along the Nicholson corridor urban-infil MUCH MORE desirable!!! :) And allow more room for future growth!! Plans for one of the mixed-use developments should be realeased soon!

Sewer project will free up land between downtown, LSU

The $1.2 billion sewer improvement program under way in Baton Rouge will have an impact on the local real estate market. As part of the project, which will be fully completed at the end of 2014, the Central Sewage Plant on River Road will be closed. That will free up 20 acres on the riverfront between downtown and LSU, Mayor Kip Holden says. Michael Ellis, CH2M Hill's deputy program director for the parish sewer project, says work on closing the plant should start next year.

Thank the Lord for this.

The smell from that place really brought down the neighborhood and made the levee top sidewalk useless.