Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

Thanks for the tour Dan! :shades: Yall covered some serious ground!! The new bridge is going to be a badly needed major upgrade! Glad to see Starmount will develop some infil in the open space on Goodwood Blvd. Wish they would just a build a 3-story building instead. With Women's Hosp. moving and Circiut City closing that area will need a jolt!

The hideous(how old) Capitol One building on Third near Main got a paint job; wondering if they will ever have a high-rise tower like Chase bank one day??

102008026ci3.jpg

This is one hip looking joint! But a little out of my $$ price range....click on end of article for some pics. I think there is supposed to be an open house soon??

75% of OneEleven lofts already leased

After construction delays and Hurricane Gustav, the OneEleven loft apartments on Third Street are nearly complete and 75% leased. Michael Lang of Commercial Properties Realty Trust expects the development to be finished in a matter of weeks and completely leased by January. Of the 12 units, two one-bedrooms and two two-bedrooms are available in the modern complex designed to look like an extension of the Shaw Center for the Arts. According to Baton Rouge Area Foundation spokesman Mukul Verma, Commercial Properties and BRAF are working on a deal to have the Arts Council of Greater Baton Rouge occupy the 5,000-square-foot first floor of the building. The arts group has not yet signed on. An open house to tour OneEleven is scheduled from noon to 3 p.m. Sunday. The remaining units range from $1,200 to $2,400 per month, and from 735 to 1,180 square feet of living space, excluding balconies.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

Should look nice for the Perkins Road Overpass area; just wish they could have implemented(kept) the hardware store into this new mixed-use development

Real Estate Property of the Week-Business Report

Construction has started on a new mixed use development at the old Perkins Road Hardware site. The development will have about 8,000 square feet of retail space, four condominiums and 118 parking spots. Donnie Jarreau Companies is redeveloping the site and Remson Haley Herpin are the architects.

130207perkinsroadrendercm9.jpg

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/rea...-weekly/latest/

"Planning commission to look at downtown demolition, mixed-use project

The City-Parish Planning Commission is set to vote on a concept plan for a mixed-use development on Joor Road at its meeting this evening. Joor Crossings, near the intersection of Mickens Road, would have 249 low-, medium- and high-density housing units, along with 65,000 square feet of office space. A development group from Fort Myers, Fla., is planning the project, which is recommended by commission staff members. The commission will also consider the demolition of a building at 438 Main Street and all but the front fa

Was gonna post this...thanks Dan :thumbsup:

I checked it out on Google Street View...can't copy & paste to post here. Think I saw BOTH buildings...wonder which on is the Saltz facade?? And why these buildings are structurally unsound; something you don't hear everyday.

A more modern office should look good at that location. Commercial Properties has been a great asset for BR with revdeveloping major projects like Bonne Carre/La. Technology Park; Hilton Capitol Center; and Acadian Village.

Wonder what's going on with the old Advocate site a few blocks away?? Commercial Properties had been talking about plans for office space in this mixed-use project?? Really wish the Advocate had stayed downtown combining the TWO buildings you see now on Bluebonnet(administration) and Siegen(giant printing press). It would easily be an 8-story building along Lafayette Street/River Road. A scrolling ticker board to give it a big city feel too; oh well, guess I can dream.

Joor Crossing sounds large with that much office space. There should be plenty of room/open space to build this development.

Edited by richyb83

Economist Loren Scott talked of this a few weeks back; the new Courthouse(over $100million) now going up is not mentioned for some reason. He's still optimistic that RiverPlace goes up one day?? Look how long it took a smaller II City Plaza to finally get off the ground. This also includes the Renaissance on Bluebonnet; but not all the smaller ones currently going up are included.

Have no what idea Apartment Development Services is???? The Audubon Bridge up in St Francisville has run into some financial problems(delayed?) bec. of limited gas tax revenue??

WHAT

Edited by richyb83

The the nation-wide financial crisis has been the reason for the delay at the Old Prince Murat site. They might finally start work in Feburary or March. They need some more nice new development on Nicholson between LSU & Downtown! This area is ripe for it! Long overdue!!

The waiting game

Despite the changes in financing, plans for 1480 Nicholson remain the same from what they were a year ago: a 208-unit apartment complex between downtown and LSU, along with retail amenities such as a coffee shop and a pharmacy. Blumberg hopes to start work in February or March.

http://www.businessreport.com/news/2008/no...ting-game-fnc1/

I'm diggin' the new residential lofts on Third Street! Article has some "click" pics of the downtown new condo's; One Eleven & Kress

Downtown alive

A wave of stylish new urban lofts and condos is on the market in downtown Baton Rouge. At press time, Kress at Third & Main featured three units for sale plus another 16 for lease, while four of the 12 loft apartments at OneEleven next to the Shaw Center for the Arts are still in play. According to Baton Rouge Area Foundation spokesman Mukul Verma, Commercial Properties and BRAF are working on a deal to have the Arts Council of Greater Baton Rouge move into the 5,000-square-foot, first-floor of the building. The arts group has not yet signed on, but is already working with developers to populate the lobby and hallways of OneEleven with local paintings.

http://www.225batonrouge.com/news/2008/nov...downtown-alive/

More suburban development; Airline Hwy/Pecue area about to change drastically if this goes thru?? Wonder if the new Woman's Hosp. site will really build a TND with reail/hotel??

All Star may develop site; Pecue Crossing could include retail, medical businesses

All Star Automotive Group said Thursday it might relocate its Hyundai dealership and build other retail units on property it owns at Airline Highway and Pecue Lane. According to plans submitted in regulatory filings,

Edited by richyb83

Looks like a fairly large mixed-use project on the northern-edges of BR; with a decent amount of office space involved? Like to see a rendering of this.

Planning commission to look at mixed-use project

The City-Parish Planning Commission is scheduled to vote on a concept plan for a mixed-use development on Joor Road at its meeting this evening. Joor Crossing, near the intersection with Mickens Road, would have 249 low-, medium- and high-density housing units, along with 65,000 square feet of office space. A development group from Fort Myers, Fla., is planning the project, which is recommended by commission staff members. The item had been on the agenda last month, but it was deferred.

Another good Opinion Section in todays Advocate! Brutally honest truth! Many locals have a suburban mentality and don't even realize it; "Smart Growth"??? BR is way behind!! Ouucch!!!

Our Views: Catching up on planning

Further, the department and its political masters know that progressive cities across the nation have adopted smart-growth principles and implemented them aggressively.

Most of those cities are leaving Baton Rouge in the dust economically. Why are college-educated young people leaving our region in droves? Because they want to live in cities, not in suburban sprawl.

There is a desperate need for better urban planning in the region, not just in East Baton Rouge Parish. Streets and sidewalks and bike paths must be designed to deal with the different ways people want to get around. Mass transit needs to be upgraded, urgently. The one-entrance subdivisions must be opened to cut-through traffic to reduce bottlenecks on four-lane streets.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/opinion/36359764.html

You are right....too many people in Baton Rouge, especially in the suburbs, forget to think about things like parks, sidewalks, and interconnectivity.

Then again, the city of Baton Rouge has done the wrong thing for so long, it's hard to point any fingers.

Without great public schools, the only way to keep Baton Rouge growing is by offering great quality housing and great city services. This includes better parks and wider streets.

For a city this size, Baton Rouge has hellish traffic and bad crime. Those two issues have to be the top priority for any mayor and state representative from the area.

No more limited access to publicly maintained streets. End of story. What are the developers going to do? Not build? They already sunk the money into the land.

Edited by cajun

• 3 weeks later...

Some more residential density for downtown BR! SpanishTown seems to be undergoing a renaissance of sorts!

Jarreau plans Spanish Town development

Donnie Jarreau hopes to start construction this spring on a residential development on Spanish Town Road. Plans are to build five or 10 houses in the unnamed development, east and south of Interstate 110. The homes, which Jarreau says will be "New Orleans-style" properties that fit in with the surrounding neighborhood, will range in price from $139,000 to $189,000 and in square footage from 1,000 to 1,500.

Jarreau bought the 11.2-acre tract in March and had talked about building a mixed-use development with housing and retail on the site. "In today's economics, nobody's doing anything on the commercial end," he says. "I've got to get moving on the land." Jarreau says he may build about 40 or 50 spec homes on the land and hold off on commercial development until after the details of Plan Baton Rouge Phase Two are released. "We know there's a demand for homes in Spanish Town right now," he says.

Related article...

http://www.businessreport.com/news/2008/dec/16/old-rlet1/

In with the old

It

I'd have to see "fitting in with existing neighborhood" to believe it.

New construction all over the country in the residential sector is, for lack of a better word.....crap. I also think it's going to be difficult to sell 1,000 square foot homes. Might want to step that up to 1500-2000 square foot 2 level homes with modern amenities and parking.

Edited by cajun

Some more residential density for downtown BR! SpanishTown seems to be undergoing a renaissance of sorts!

Jarreau plans Spanish Town development

Donnie Jarreau hopes to start construction this spring on a residential development on Spanish Town Road. Plans are to build five or 10 houses in the unnamed development, east and south of Interstate 110. The homes, which Jarreau says will be "New Orleans-style" properties that fit in with the surrounding neighborhood, will range in price from $139,000 to $189,000 and in square footage from 1,000 to 1,500.

Jarreau bought the 11.2-acre tract in March and had talked about building a mixed-use development with housing and retail on the site. "In today's economics, nobody's doing anything on the commercial end," he says. "I've got to get moving on the land." Jarreau says he may build about 40 or 50 spec homes on the land and hold off on commercial development until after the details of Plan Baton Rouge Phase Two are released. "We know there's a demand for homes in Spanish Town right now," he says.

Related article...

http://www.businessreport.com/news/2008/dec/16/old-rlet1/

In with the old

It's an impressive-and not unusual-example of the value that downtown real estate continues to hold. The area that includes Beauregard Town, Spanish Town and the Central Business District, the latter of which has only recently begun to offer residential units, is among the oldest and most sought-after property in the parish. And it shows in the numbers.

Granted, there's not much available property to begin with in the area bordered by interstates 10 and 110, the Mississippi River and the Capitol Lake, so statistics from the Board of Realtors MLS do not reflect a lot of activity.

Is this the wooded lot across I-110 from DOTD? I was hoping for something along the lines of a mixed development or at least something a bit more "urban" but I can understand that with the economy like it is now, we're lucky in BR to be still getting any new developments.

I always thought that that site right across from DOTD and close to all the other new state offices could support a development of condos/apartments and some retail aspect.

I dont really consider that area spanish town, even though i know the grid came from the original plan. The land he is going to develop was part of the existing original grid of spanish town, and all the old houses were bulldozed decades ago, its simply green pasture with old roads. It is very similar to the cleared lots near the refineries. I do welcome development of that area though, and it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

^Yes it sure will be interesting. Looking forward to it! :thumbsup:

It will also be interesting to see how this turns out...New Urbanism for the Nicholson Corridor between LSU and Downtown!!! The project continues to grow!! Can't wait for the dramatic transformation to take place!

Nicholson developers wrap up $1.3 million in sales

The mixed-use project planned for a section of Nicholson Drive between downtown and LSU continues to grow. According to real estate filings, Nicholson Estates, a partnership between Lafayette oilman Mike Moreno and White Sands Development Group of Leesburg, Fla., wrapped up three deals last month with a total value of $1.3 million. Plans are for the development to encompass about 20 acres. The project is expected to be a mix of residential, commercial and civic spaces.

I asked that same question on UP a while back; I was hoping for some new development there. But Bryde rained on my parade when he said it was just a Gustav mulch factory(like Dan said above).... Talk about a strong smell out there!

That's some prime undeveloped land bordering CitiPlace, Corporate Square and Towne Center! Needs to be smart-growth(Master-Planned Community) to compliment the area. Some good residential density and infil! Not many cities BR's size have such a large undeveloped prime site nearly in the geographic middle. I'm sure they can "split" the area in two...leaving the Cedar Lodge horse ranch a large green lush oasis.

Check out my proposal on "Armchair Developer" on most recent post. >>Would like to see a "Uptown Village" - type development.....once the debris/mulch area has been cleared. What do yall think??

Well, it's worth a shot I guess... Mayor Holden has some BIG idea's for Baton Rouge! We should know in a couple of months?? Can't wait to see the plans for the redevelopment of the Old Municipal Dock project??

B.R. lines up requests for stimulus money

Baton Rouge has joined several Louisiana cities in lining up shovel-ready projects for a share of President-elect Barack Obama