Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

Simon Properties Announces Big Plans for Suburban Louisiana

Chicago- Simon Properties, L.L.C., announced plans today for an office and retail park in suburban Livingston Parish, Louisiana. Plans include a "Cypress Park" outlet center and a 19 story office building, as well as one mid rise hotel with a national flag.

Cypress Park is expected to break ground in late 2009 and cost up to $180 million. Although not committed, Shaw Construction, a fortune 500 company, is expected to lease up to 80 % of the office space for their new corporate headquarters. Dave and Busters has committed to a 32,000 square foot space in Cypress Park.

Although somewhat exceptional due to the boom in surrounding Baton Rouge, Livingston Parish is indicative of the action in prime suburban markets throughout the United States. Despite a much-lauded comeback of urban downtowns, the the top office market in the Baton Rouge area remains outside of the city limits.

The dive into the office sector is an unprecedented move for Simon Property Management, which owns over 14 malls and retail centers throughout the US and Canada.

"You have to look at each micro-market to determine where it is in the investment cycle," said Doug Gruen of Simon Properties. "The safer markets today are represented by smaller, southern markets such as Baton Rouge, Austin, and Fayetteville. Denham Springs, in particular, was an obvious choice for us".

Simon Properties has been eyeing the Baton Rouge area since their main competitor, General Growth Properties, invested millions into the local economy with the Mall of Louisiana.

Gruen noted that Simon is commited to the Cypress Park despite the most recent census estimates of Baton Rouge possibly losing up to 30% of it's residents within the last 10 years. "Livingston Parish has a robust economy with many outside investors, particular in the Range Avenue area, where Cypress Park is located".

See full article at link.

full article here .

Growth trends could mean power shift in Congress after 2010 Census

WASHINGTON — The new Census estimates suggest that the Democratic Party may have to battle demographic tides to keep control of the house.

Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Nevada, Texas and Utah are projected to gain seats in Congress after the 2010 Census, according to an analysis by Election Data Services.....

In Louisiana, New Orleans is expected to recover nearly 60% of it's lost residents since 2005. The picture in Baton Rouge is not so great, with an expected 35% drop in city residents, mostly due to suburban flight......

full article continues at link: full article here .

World's Tallest Building Planned for Downtown Baton Rouge

Louisiana — A 130-story tower that is being developed on Florida Street by real estate magnate Donald Trump and a team of New Jersey developers is planned for Baton Rouge.

Stephen Dwyer, an attorney for the developers, said Tuesday that the project has not fully secured the financing it needs but still plans to move ahead, hopefully by the end of the year. Dwyer told the Associated Press that it's not a matter of if the project will go forward, but how big it will be when it does.

Some local residents have been selected to view the renderings. "It's huge. Obviously the designer is trying to make up for other shortfalls", commented Cheryl Boudreaux. The reaction in cajun country is somewhat mixed on the plans for the large building, which is modeled after a giant ink pen.

Barack Obama, de-facto CEO of General Motors and AIG, demanded that the companiess move it's headquarters to help redistribute wealth throughout the country. The two companies are expected to make their home in Baton Rouge in 2011. If the companies do not comply with the order, they may not recieve up to $4 trillion in government loans and bail out cash.

full article continues at link: full article here .

Edited by cajun

I was sitting here thinking to myself "what!?!?" after reading the "world's tallest building" piece, and then I realized --- April Fools Day. Well played. :shades:

This morning I heard on the radio in Shreveport that the Bossier City skyline would soon be changing again and I got excited --- until I realized that approval had been granted for a local church to build a 200' cross off I-20 between Bossier City and Haughton. And the fact that it was NOT an April Fools joke really fricking sucks. I'd hoped for something better, such as Horseshoe's long-planned twin hotel tower.

But back on the topic of this thread --- I was like, I know Baton Rouge is growing rapidly right now and all, but the world's tallest building? I may be naive, but I'm not THAT naive. lol Of course I also didn't mouse over the links either to see the website URL, museumofhoaxes.com! ;)

Edited by SBCmetroguy

As long as someone fell for the trap. I was going to do one about Riverplace being turned into a parking garage, but decided it was a little too close to reality.

This wasn't my idea:

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/dai...009/apr/01/903/

LSU looks to build new Tiger Stadium

LSU officials, buoyed by the rave reviews and popularity of the new Alex Box Stadium, are exploring plans to build a new and improved Tiger Stadium on land adjacent to the Mississippi River levee. Plans are in the early development stage but the $750 million stadium would seat as many as 110,000 fans and be built in Old South Baton Rouge on a site adjacent to the old City Dock. The tentative opening date is in time for the start of the 2015 season.

"With the tough national economy some might argue now is not the time to launch such an ambitious plan," says athletic director Joe Alleva. "But the recession really hasn't hit Baton Rouge and this is the type of project that will create excitement and, more importantly, jobs. We also believe a move like this is necessary to keep LSU as a national football power." Local architect Trey Trahan, of Trahan and Associates, has been hired to design the new facility. City officials say the stadium will serve as a magnet for downtown redevelopment and could lead to new hotels and restaurants in the area.

"This is the link we've been trying to build between downtown and LSU," says Davis Rhorer, Downtown Development District executive director. To offset construction costs, LSU is considering selling naming rights to the stadium and it will auction off parts of the current Tiger Stadium. Alleva also hopes to turn the land where the on-campus stadium is located over to TAF where several parking garages will be built. The proceeds will be used to help cover the new stadium's construction bonds. LSU is also considering building a new Pete Maravich Assembly Center in Mid City, at the site of the Westmoreland Village Shopping Center, but Alleva says if the school goes ahead with the basketball arena, it won't open until at least 2018.

Edited by cajun

Good stuff cajun :thumbsup:

Just imagine how far you could see :shades: a 130-story ink-pen shaped Trump Tower downtown!!! Would give the Burj Dubai a run for it's money!! I think the water tower will forever remain Denham Springs Tallest! :lol:

Business Report's was cool too...it sure would be nice for them to re-develop the Old City Dock...Westmoreland too!!

Wouldn't it be crazy if they moved the State Captiol to Independence Park near the Main Library! lol

Edited by richyb83

Wouldn't it be crazy if they moved the State Captiol to Independence Park near the Main Library! lol

They are actually moving it to Walker on the service road behind the cypress point trailer park...next to the salvage yard. If you see the RV dealership, you went too far.

True story.

They are actually moving it to Walker on the service road behind the cypress point trailer park...next to the salvage yard. If you see the RV dealership, you went too far.

True story.

Considering how backwards our state goverment is; is it sad I wouldnt be shocked if it were true? <_<

Considering how backwards our state goverment is; is it sad I wouldn't be shocked if it were true? <_<

Awe, come on...we've worked hard to correct a lot of issues, we don't need another one of our own perpetuating a fallacy like that!

Term limits on the legislature, a young Brown University educated governor who takes a hard line on corruption, and the recently created ethics laws are really good showings. With all the corruption going on these days everywhere, Louisiana sets a good example.

We just need to remember that our elected officials have a "sell by" date. Keep them around too long, and they start to stink the place up.

I just hope that we don't turn back the efforts made recently and screw things up for us in the future. You don't have to be a republican to appreciate Jindal and friend's stance on corruption, and you don't have to be young to appreciate term limits. ;)

Edited by cajun

Awe, come on...we've worked hard to correct a lot of issues, we don't need another one of our own perpetuating a fallacy like that!

Term limits on the legislature, a young Brown University educated governor who takes a hard line on corruption, and the recently created ethics laws are really good showings. With all the corruption going on these days everywhere, Louisiana sets a good example.

We just need to remember that our elected officials have a "sell by" date. Keep them around too long, and they start to stink the place up.

I just hope that we don't turn back the efforts made recently and screw things up for us in the future. You don't have to be a republican to appreciate Jindal and friend's stance on corruption, and you don't have to be young to appreciate term limits. ;)

This is probably the wrong forum to continue this discussion in, so someone please steer us in the right place. But until then i do offer a different opinion. Jindal has done great things for our state, as well as some other well meaning legislatures. But Jindal has also had some back wards thinking. Let us not for the the Louisiana Science Education Act he signed into law last year, or letting Gov Blanco's ban on discriminating against gays and lesbians in the workplace expire last year also. I wouldn't mind if he spent more time working here in LA then fund raising in Iowa too.....

Might not be a bad idea...

DDD, city looking at fixing up Interstate 110 exits

The recent canvass trip to Richmond, Va., could lead to beautification at the Interstate 110 exits downtown. Plans are under way to fix up several of the exits, from at least Government Street to Florida Boulevard, and possibly add lights, sculpture and artwork, says Davis Rhorer, Downtown Development District executive director. Mayor Kip Holden noticed during the Richmond trip how the city had fixed up its downtown exits and wanted to bring the same thing to Baton Rouge, Rhorer says. A committee is set to study the issue and plans will be formally announced at the end of the month. No money has been set aside yet for the project. "There are a lot of possibilities here," Rhorer says, noting that the improvements fit along with the Plan Baton Rouge Phase Two recommendations for developing downtown transitions. "There are multiple things we can do, from aesthetics to things that accommodate the thousands of people who come downtown for events," Rhorer says.

Here's another article:

http://www.businessreport.com/news/2009/ap...arned-richmond/

Lessons learned in Richmond

By Rolfe McCollister (Contact)

Monday, April 6, 2009

I am one who believes in “best practices” and learning from the experiences of others. That is the basis behind the annual canvass trip hosted by the Baton Rouge Area Chamber and the city of Baton Rouge. A group of about 140 people from the community visited Richmond, Va., last month. Past trips have gone to Austin, Texas; Nashville, Tenn.; Portland, Ore.; and Raleigh, N.C.

Richmond is a capital city, river town and home to universities. It is similar in size to Baton Rouge and facing many of the same challenges. Chairman of this year’s trip was Julio Melara, president of Business Report, publisher of 225, and my business partner. He shared with me his lessons learned from the trip which were:

• “The downtown development was a great example of how an urban core can be revitalized through integral cooperation of public and private partnerships. Virginia Commonwealth University has been a major force in revitalizing and linking their campus and downtown. New businesses and affordable housing have all been a key to helping them keep their young talent.”

• “One of the major reasons Richmond continues to do a good job in retaining talent in their region is because of issues relating to quality of life. They have an extensive bike trail system [something we need in B.R.], a strong and proud sense of history among the citizens and numerous museums. This, coupled with a much broader community more engaged in the arts than B.R., contributes to a greater quality of life.”

• “Richmond, like B.R., has racial challenges. They’re fighting poverty and housing issues. However, one big lesson was how they are creating partnerships to transform distressed neighborhoods into healthy and sustainable communities. They are making progress and helping to increase land values. This is beginning to attract private developers. This meant fighting the status quo, leaders taking risks and setting aside egos. Something we can learn from.”

• “The biggest lesson for me personally: It was evident that Richmond is ahead of us in collaboration. There, the black, white, public, private, young and old leaders were working together more often than not, and therefore, they’re making progress on several fronts. They have lots of challenges, like all cities, but I was impressed with the level of unity and commitment. It was Henry Ford’s quote that came to mind after the trip: ‘Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success.’ That’s the lesson our business and community leaders need to remember as we reflect on the growth of Richmond, Va.”

Melara applauded the job that Adam Knapp and Nicole David of the Baton Rouge Area Chamber did in arranging the trip, as well as Mayor Kip Holden’s commitment from the city-parish.

While some in our community have criticized these trips in the past, their minds are simply closed to new ideas and better solutions. We don’t have all the answers in Baton Rouge-and we must continue to seek, learn and grow to address our old problems, as well as new challenges.

But the bottom line is results-and I challenge the chamber, mayor and everyone on that trip to collaborate, apply the best lessons learned and make positive change happen in 2009.

Jindal, Moret deliver jobs for La.

While the rest of the nation reels from the recession and suffers thousands of layoffs, Louisiana bucks the trend and is announcing new jobs, expansions and retention of jobs. The announcements below covered different parts of the state and all came in the last six weeks. Nice work.

• Gov. Bobby Jindal announced that Pilgrim’s Pride reached an agreement to sell its Farmerville plant to Foster Farms: “This is a major victory for the people of northeast Louisiana-and our entire state. This agreement will save more than 1,000 direct jobs and keep hundreds of chicken growers in business. I want to thank Pilgrim’s Pride and Foster Farms, along with Agriculture Commissioner Mike Strain and Sen. Mike Walsworth and the other officials in the area.”

• Jindal joined Schlumberger officials to announce an expansion of Schlumberger’s operations in Shreveport. Schlumberger is a leading oilfield services company and this project represents a $48 million investment that will retain 120 jobs and create 400 new jobs within three to four years. An additional 250 construction jobs are estimated over a yearlong construction period.

• Jindal joined Performance Energy Services to announce an expansion of the company’s facility in Houma. The company will develop 5 acres at the Port of Terrebonne. This project represents a $26 million capital investment that will retain 800 jobs and create 350 new jobs within five years at an average salary of more than $55,000 plus benefits.

• Jindal and Computer Programs and Systems Inc. President and CEO J. Boyd Douglas announced the expansion of CPSI operations to Monroe. CPSI, a health care IT company, is opening up a new call center in Monroe that will create 40 new jobs in the first year and 100 new jobs within four years with a payroll totaling $1.9 million plus full benefits.

• Jindal and Louisiana Economic Development Secretary Stephen Moret joined Southland Steel Fabricators Vice President Joey Lombardo to announce plans to expand Southland’s existing facility in Greensburg. The project represents a $1.5 million capital investment that will retain 141 jobs and create 35 new jobs, with an average salary of $36,000.

The full article can be found at the link above.

Edited by cajun

The city-parish has received $950,000 from the federal government for riverfront transportation improvements. The money will be used for improved pedestrian access at the corner of River Road and Florida Street, and for other improvements along River Road near the Louisiana Art & Science Museum.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

The Capitol Region is finally getting it's due! Widening of I-10 to Highland Rd is a GOOD start! But all the way out to Hwy 73 would be fantastic; while their at it..take it to Tanger Outlet Mall/Cabela's! Every one knows I-12 to Range Ave or Pete's Hwy is not enough!

Capital Region delegation says transportation a top priority

The Capital Region delegation says its main priority for the legislative session that started today will be to make sure Baton Rouge gets four highway projects. The 26-member delegation says it plans to push for Interstate 12 widening from Range Avenue from Walker and for widening Interstate 10 from Highland Road to La. 73. The two other projects on the delegation's wish list are new interchanges at Pecue Lane and at Westport. All of these projects will reduce congestion on the interstates. The delegation is already off to a good start: Plans to widen I-10 from Siegen Lane to Highland Road were approved today.

Edited by richyb83

The Capitol Region is finally getting it's due! Widening of I-10 is a GOOD start! But all the way out to Hwy 73 would be fantastic; while their at it..take it to Tanger Outlet Mall/Cabela's! Every one knows I-12 to Range Ave or Pete's Hwy is not enough!

Capital Region delegation says transportation a top priority

The Capital Region delegation says its main priority for the legislative session that started today will be to make sure Baton Rouge gets four highway projects. The 26-member delegation says it plans to push for Interstate 12 widening from Range Avenue from Walker and for widening Interstate 10 from Highland Road to La. 73. The two other projects on the delegation's wish list are new interchanges at Pecue Lane and at Westport. All of these projects will reduce congestion on the interstates. The delegation is already off to a good start: Plans to widen I-10 from Siegen Lane to Highland Road were approved today.

sweet, it's about time.

• 2 weeks later...