Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

can i please have a recap? :D

Ive lost sight of the new additions to downtown?

How many buildings are there proposed to be built? and can you post pics of the designs?

I really kinda lost it, i keep seeing this name of this tower and that tower, and i forget whats what.

BRPJ, I'll do my best to give you a recap of what's going on, if it's updates on the high-rise towers in downtown BR you want. Maybe NCB can help post some of the pics.

Let me say, there have been some changes to the River Place and City Plaza II. So these renderings will not be completely accurate.

3 Major high-rise projects set to begin in 06' :

*RiverPlace Condominiums -30 stories (down slightly from 36,due to rising construction$cost post-Katrina)

*City Plaza II - 19 stories (up from orginal 14-stories;tower now to go on top of parking garage)

*Laurel Tower - 18 or 19 stories

and...

*New Courthouse - still undecided on # of floors (My best guess is 10-12)

*Kress/Levy renovation/addition 8 to 10 floors; Third Street @ Main Street

*there has been talk of a proposed new 10-story office tower on Sixth Street.

The final two State Bldgs. Iberville & Beinville both 9-stories, with fancy gateway additions on top, are to be complete this Summer, as well as a new Visitors Center.

http://brgov.com/dept/ddd/developmentsnew.htm

This website should help. It does not include new City Plaza II or the modified renderings. It also only has a misprint that list the New Courthouse at 8-stories; the rendering shows 9, but the post-Katrina pop. in BR has prompted them to increase the # of floors.

Hopefully by 2009 you will see a big-change, and a "Real-Skyline" for the Capitol City.

Maybe NCB can help post some of the pics.

Sure thing. :thumbsup:

RiverPlace Condominiums

RiverRoad_ariel_lg.jpg

Laurel Towers/Regions Financial Centre

pow011706.jpg

City Plaza Two(Before height was boosted to 19 story's)

cityplaza_2.jpg

19th Judicial Courthouse

citycourtdev.jpg

And those are just some of the more major towers set to be built in downtown. :thumbsup:

Thanks Nate. Great job as always ! You are on top of the game.

I have a nice map of Downtown BR. So out of curiousity, I decided to use some modeling clay and mold the existing high-rises to scale in downtown. Then I added those proposed high-rises shown above to it. Wow ! What a BIG difference. I know this seemed a bit strange, but I am not functional-enough on the computer to design an additional 3-D Skyline . I wish, if I was, I would share all to see the transformation into "Legit-Skyline" for BR !

Edited by richyb83

I have a nice map of Downtown BR. So out of curiousity, I decided to use some modeling clay and mold the existing high-rises to scale in downtown. Then I added those proposed high-rises shown above to it. Wow ! What a BIG difference. I know this seemed a bit strange, but I am not functional-enough on the computer to design an additional 3-D Skyline . I wish, if I was, I would share all to see the transformation into "Legit-Skyline" for BR !

Not weird at all! It just shows that you really want Baton Rouge to have a serious skyline! Until I can seriously figure out how to use the computer to do it, all I can do is try to sketch in future buildings in New Orleans into the skyline.

Not weird at all! It just shows that you really want Baton Rouge to have a serious skyline! Until I can seriously figure out how to use the computer to do it, all I can do is try to sketch in future buildings in New Orleans into the skyline.

THANKS YOU GUYS!!!!! I needed that! Im so excited! those renderings look fantastic! I did even see a pic before of the second one you posted, but thanks for recaping that for me! i wish you would take a picture of you new downtown BR model! If i could i would myself, lol :D

THANKS YOU GUYS!!!!! I needed that! Im so excited! those renderings look fantastic! I did even see a pic before of the second one you posted, but thanks for recaping that for me! i wish you would take a picture of you new downtown BR model! If i could i would myself, lol :D

I'd like to see his model as well, to be honest. I thought it sounded cool when he mentioned having put it together.

It's great to see you so excited over these projects. The 30-story Riverplace Tower is by far the greatest thing to happen to Baton Rouge in a long time, in my opinion, but all these projects combined make for an exciting mix of new buildings to be constructed down there.

I'd like to see his model as well, to be honest. I thought it sounded cool when he mentioned having put it together.

It's great to see you so excited over these projects. The 30-story Riverplace Tower is by far the greatest thing to happen to Baton Rouge in a long time, in my opinion, but all these projects combined make for an exciting mix of new buildings to be constructed down there.

Agreed! Im very jealous of the Riverplace Tower :blush: Lucky guys down there..... :lol:

Agreed! Im very jealous of the Riverplace Tower :blush: Lucky guys down there..... :lol:

Heck yeah, I'm jealous as well. That's an impressive building and it shows some serious innovation on the part of the developer and the designer, and it shows that Baton Rouge is definitely in the midst of an unprecedented boom.

Thanks TBurban(cool name) and Brian for the support.

You are right about the unprecedented boom in BR ! All the boom-cranes all over Downtown will be a first ! Hopefully a few more Big Time projects will develop in the next year or so ?

Riverplace has gone thru so many changes it would make your head spin. 1st > it was a 23-story tower; 2nd> demand was higher than expected, two-towers 27 & 17 stories; then 3rd> the nice rendering you see now of 36-stories(on top of 3 story garage) rivaling the height of the tallest State Capitol ! 4th>finally? the Hurricanes delayed/ rocketed $ construction cost 18% or more ? The tower has been re-engineered down to 30-stories. It should begin anytime now !

I have always thought BR should have a better Skyline, I am still not sure about the 450'-460' height ordinance from old Gov. Huey P.Long ? Many people want the Capitol to remain the tallest. Not me.

Our tallest hotel, Marriott at 22-stories is 4 miles outside of the CBD. A few high-rises 12,14-stories popped-up in mid city in the 60's and 70's. Essen Ln. got the taller bldgs. in the 80's, 90's, and most recently the 12-story Shaw HQ's in 2002 . That really would have looked nice Downtown. Sorry to make this so long.

Construction of the James Audubon Bridge has begun just north of BR. This should really help to jump start developement north of the city and in New Roads.

Potential seen in Miss. River bridge

051206audubonbridge.jpg

The project, slated for completion in summer 2010, includes approximately 12 miles of roadway, and a 2.44-mile-long cable-stayed bridge across the river. The roadway will connect to U.S. 61 in West Feliciana Parish, south of LA 966 and then connect to Highway 1 in Pointe Coupee Parish, east of Hospital Road.

Construction of the James Audubon Bridge has begun just north of BR. This should really help to jump start developement north of the city and in New Roads.

Potential seen in Miss. River bridge

051206audubonbridge.jpg

The project, slated for completion in summer 2010, includes approximately 12 miles of roadway, and a 2.44-mile-long cable-stayed bridge across the river. The roadway will connect to U.S. 61 in West Feliciana Parish, south of LA 966 and then connect to Highway 1 in Pointe Coupee Parish, east of Hospital Road.

That's great, but isn't Baton Rouge trying to fight sprawl? The last thing they need is northern sprawl like what they have in the south.

I was watching the New Orleans news, and the first story was about a shooting today at a Baton Rouge church. Five people dead and even more wounded. That's just horrible, I mean I've seen much worse in New Orleans over the years, which is nothing to be proud of, but the fact that someone just stepped into a church with the intent to kill someone is just sickening.

Yeah, it's sickening. The man shot some of his wife's family members. Then kidnapped her and the baby. Drove down to an apartment complex and shot her. He was apprehended, crying; thank God the baby was fine.

Yesterday was the funeral of ex-Glen Oaks standout basketball player Ryan Francis. He was a freshman starting pt.guard for the USC Trojans this season. He was in town visting last weekend for Mother's Day. He was out late with friends at a club. Around 3:00 AM he was shot multiple at a north BR intersection, while in the back seat of his friends car. His friend driving was the intended target, he was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Totally senseless !

Yesterday was the funeral of ex-Glen Oaks standout basketball player Ryan Francis. He was a freshman starting pt.guard for the USC Trojans this season. He was in town visting last weekend for Mother's Day. He was out late with friends at a club. Around 3:00 AM he was shot multiple at a north BR intersection, while in the back seat of his friends car. His friend driving was the intended target, he was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Totally senseless !

I read about that in the paper last week too. That's really sad, especially considering how much potential he had in basketball. I actually played against Ryan Francis in high school at a basketball tournament in Baton Rouge, and I'll tell you, his confidence and knowledge of the game was amazing. He always seemed like a really nice guy too. It's a real shame...

Where did you play H.S. basketball at ? What position ? How tall are you ? That's cool you played here too.

I was a a shooting guard when I played JV basketball at De La Salle High School in Kenner, and I was a power forward during my last two years of basketball at Covington High School here in Covington. I wasn't that good, but I was good enough to start a few varsity games, and play a nice amount of minutes per game. I had fun. :D I'm only 6'1 though, and that was a problem in the paint most of the time, but I had good skills in my game in the post, and in my outside shooting. I always prefered defense though, that was always the strongest part of my game.

Wow Nate, thats cool. You sound like a good athlete. And you can never go wrong playing solid defense, coaches love that. Did you play other sports ?

I love sports ! I liked to play many of the sports, I never focused on just one.

Edited by richyb83

This article goes thru some of the different projects just completed, underway or coming soon in Baton Rouge. From Downtown to LSU, Mid City and southeast BR and points in between. This an exciting time here ! Most of these projects would have happened even with no hurricane.

http://www.hurricane-real-estate.com/newor...e-projects.html

Edited by richyb83

Wow Nate, thats cool. You sound like a good athlete. And you can never go wrong playing solid defense, coaches love that. Did you play other sports ?

I love sports ! I liked to play many of the sports, I never focused on just one.

I love sports too, always have! I think I was a pretty decent athlete in high school. I started a few games as a tight end in varsity football, and was a starting shortstop in baseball through high school as well. I played tennis up to 10th grade, which is when I began to lose interest in it, and focused more on football, basketball, and baseball. Though I still enjoy tennis today, but more for fun, not serious competition.

How about you, Richy? What sports did you like to play?

I played a little Wide Receiver in H.S. my Senior year on an 8-3 team. I ran track on a district champion team. We had some fast guys. I was an alternate sprinter. I was not a distance runner. I was OK for about a 1/2 mile, but that's it. I played freshman basketball, but quit early-on; I made it a point never to quit anything else. I could have played baseball in HS, but chose track instead. Baseball(Left Field) was probably my best chance, if I had played all the way through childhood. But I lost the passion having bad experiences getting hit MULTIPLE TIMES by wild pitching in the 8th or 9th grade. The lay-off probably hurt me. I like boxing too, but like my nose the way it is ! ha I guess I'm like the "jack-of-all-trades".... master at none.

You play tennis. Well....

In H.S. I found a new respect for tennis. I never played before but thought I could handle it. NOT. I had the chance to play around against a few HS tennis players, and they whooped me; I got my humble pie.

I played a little Wide Receiver in H.S. my Senior year on an 8-3 team. I ran track on a district champion team. We had some fast guys. I was an alternate sprinter. I was not a distance runner. I was OK for about a 1/2 mile, but that's it. I played freshman basketball, but quit early-on; I made it a point never to quit anything else. I could have played baseball in HS, but chose track instead. Baseball(Left Field) was probably my best chance, if I had played all the way through childhood. But I lost the passion having bad experiences getting hit MULTIPLE TIMES by wild pitching in the 8th or 9th grade. The lay-off probably hurt me. I like boxing too, but like my nose the way it is ! ha I guess I'm like the "jack-of-all-trades".... master at none.

You play tennis. Well....

In H.S. I found a new respect for tennis. I never played before but thought I could handle it. NOT. I had the chance to play around against a few HS tennis players, and they whooped me; I got my humble pie.

Wow, you were pretty active in high school! I never ran track, I guess it just didn't interest me. I like running, but at my own pace without having to worry about a race or a time. I also experimented with some kickboxing in high school, but that wasn't really my thing. Though it was great if you wanted to learn how to fight! ;) I was also a powerlifter in 10th and 11th grade, but focused more on my big 3 of baseball, basketball, and football my last year in high school.

It seems like we share a passion for sports, Richy! :thumbsup:

Yes, we sure do. Sports has so many positives and it's a healthy exercise too. Though is did tear ligaments in my ankle playing basketball in PE in H.S. And slipped tendons in three of my fingers playing in a men's flag football.

My brother was a freak in the bench press. I am just average I guess.

How much do you weigh ? Being 6'-1" I was just curious ?

I am around 5'-10 1/2" about 190 lbs.

Edited by richyb83