Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

The CPEX did that study and it shows that people do want to live in these areas. As well as it happening in most other cities.

Were talking about Baton Rouge though and this poor dangerous neighborhood

And what are you basing your opinion on? 50 years of history of white flight to suburbia, which we now know is coming to an end?

Really? People and families are flooding into downtown Baton Rouge? Praireiville and Denham have stopped growing? Sorry but I don't see it at all.

The trend is inner city, not the suburbs. Why do you think gentrification has taken place in most US cities and likely in BR in Mid-City and hopefully Scotlandville.

Trends come and go and what's good for one city in the US isn't the same for others. I could easily say "look at Detroit, that city is a ghost town" but that doesn't apply to all cities and vice versa. Plus there is no evidence whatsoever that gentrification is taking place in Baton Rouge.

Trends come and go and what's good for one city in the US isn't the same for others. I could easily say "look at Detroit, that city is a ghost town" but that doesn't apply to all cities and vice versa. Plus there is no evidence whatsoever that gentrification is taking place in Baton Rouge.

The fact that dozens of downtown apartments have been proposed and built is a sign, for one. Also, just look at the plans for the Nicholson Corridor between LSU and Downtown...new urban living taking the place of a run-down "dangerous neighborhood". Look at the North Gate Area of LSU. It used to be HORRIBLY dangerous. Now, there are plenty of apartments and stores and restaurants with more on the way. Again, look at the fact that the Elysian has been proposed...THAT IS GENTRIFICATION. Just these in and of itself are evidence that gentrification is happening. Look at the Perkins Road Overpass Area...Rock n Sake?! I mean when did you ever expect there to be a trendy sushi place in that neighborhood or loft apartments for that matter. Or look at Mid City where there was recently an art walk showcasing the creativity of the neighborhood. If you don't see it I don't know how to help you see. But, no Prairieville and Denham will not necessarily stop growing altogether, but that typical American suburban lifestyle is dying out.

And yes, trends DO come and go. That's the point we are all saying. Suburban living has been the trend for the last 50 years. We are only now in the last few years entering the "back to the city" trend, which will gain steam and probably last another 50 years.

And frankly, I think you are probably comparing BR to too many other cities when we talk about urban living. No, BR will not magically become NYC or New Orleans in terms of walkability and urban living. However, BR will continue to grow in a more efficient way and produce its own urban form just as other cities across the country have been doing.

• Like 1

The fact that dozens of downtown apartments have been proposed and built is a sign, for one. 

Were not talking about downtown. Were talking about where the Elysian is planned. Stop using a broad brush inorder to make your attempted point as validated. 

Also, just look at the plans for the Nicholson Corridor between LSU and Downtown...new urban living taking the place of a run-down "dangerous neighborhood". Look at the North Gate Area of LSU. It used to be HORRIBLY dangerous. Now, there are plenty of apartments and stores and restaurants with more on the way. Again, look at the fact that the Elysian has been proposed...THAT IS GENTRIFICATION. Just these in and of itself are evidence that gentrification is happening. Look at the Perkins Road Overpass Area...Rock n Sake?! I mean when did you ever expect there to be a trendy sushi place in that neighborhood or loft apartments for that matter. Or look at Mid City where there was recently an art walk showcasing the creativity of the neighborhood. If you don't see it I don't know how to help you see. But, no Prairieville and Denham will not necessarily stop growing altogether, but that typical American suburban lifestyle is dying out.

First of all, the area around LSU wasn't a crackhead neighborhood nor as dangerous. Secondly, it isn't nestled along the I-110. Thirdly, you mention the Highland corridor which again, isn't in a bad neighborhood (thanks to the police station on Highland) and because it's not buffering the I-110. You're comparing apples and oranges. Lastly, just because there are college students and college apartments does NOT mean it is gentrification. Look up the definition. 

Oh and your remark about Artwalks in MidCity? Really? So all of MidCitys problems are cured because of a artwalk? That's what is the status bar of economic and social progress? Because they had a artwalk? Sorry but I believe communities need higher standards.

And no, Prairieville and Denham are not dieing out. That's funny. You may wish and want it to but it's not. 

And frankly, I think you are probably comparing BR to too many other cities when we talk about urban living. No, BR will not magically become NYC or New Orleans in terms of walkability and urban living. However, BR will continue to grow in a more efficient way and produce its own urban form just as other cities across the country have been doing.

It will grow, sure. And it has. But I'm not going to hold my tongue when people laughably suggest that the reason kids leave their state when the graduate is because there aren't enough downtown lofts. Or that there's a tidal wave of people just itching to live in the projects where the Elysian is planned. 

Some of you guys just need to accept the fact that there are other people in this world and they have opinions that differ from yours. Only time will tell who is right and what BR and it's surrounding towns will turn into. 

Some of you guys just need to accept the fact that there are other people in this world and they have opinions that differ from yours. Only time will tell who is right and what BR and it's surrounding towns will turn into.

Its one thing to have a differing opinion, it's how you present that opinion that is the problem. You see, I am normally not such an @$$ on this forum, but the way you share your opinion is extremely disrespectful and insulting. So I respond to you, with the same tact you respond to me. For example, Cajun and I disagree on many things, and while things may sometimes get heated, I believe we have a mutual respect for each other, and things have never crossed the line, and i enjoy engaging in him conversation because of our differing points of view.

I could go on and on about New Urbanism and Urban Renewal and the eventual decline of suburbia, but you've made it very clear in another thread that you could careless how many facts are articles I throw your way, you will only continue to believe what you've seen for the past 15 years, and that is that Gonzales and Denham Springs are the only places worth living, and the only places experiencing serious growth. But you also have to keep in mind, that Baton Rouge is always behind the rest of the country in Architectural and Living Trends, and it is no doubt that we are still playing catch up in this case.

....Time will tell....

And by the way, the Elysian is part of downtown area, more so than it is midcity.......

Personally, if the city wants to revitalize downtown it needs to start at LSU and work north. I think we can all agree that when you leave LSU north on Nicholson is starting to look up, but on highland it looks very decrepit and depressing. Those area's need to be revitalized first. People will buy off on living close to LSU. As people live closer to LSU they will want more in their area, including downtown. This makes a transit route from LSU to Downtown a viable route. I think this is the key to the success. Otherwise we might have a pocket of success here and there but I'm with itjustme2 on something. If you have one nice project surrounded by areas that are not very nice looking, most the people with money will stay away and eventually the nice project will get sucked into the crap. I really think the LSU Nicholson and Highland north corridors are key to revitalizing not only that area but downtown as well. Once downtown and this are is revitalized then I think we can start with the areas along 110. Some high-rise apartments one day would be awesome along 110 wouldn't it?

Hey guys, I know IJM2 could sometimes word some of his ideas a little differently and be a little less crass or blunt, however I think his ideas and valid and good for this discussion. I live in Prairieville, and his opinions are much the same as all my neighbors and friends in this area.

Personally, if the city wants to revitalize downtown it needs to start at LSU and work north. I think we can all agree that when you leave LSU north on Nicholson is starting to look up, but on highland it looks very decrepit and depressing. Those area's need to be revitalized first. People will buy off on living close to LSU. As people live closer to LSU they will want more in their area, including downtown. This makes a transit route from LSU to Downtown a viable route. I think this is the key to the success. Otherwise we might have a pocket of success here and there but I'm with itjustme2 on something. If you have one nice project surrounded by areas that are not very nice looking, most the people with money will stay away and eventually the nice project will get sucked into the crap. I really think the LSU Nicholson and Highland north corridors are key to revitalizing not only that area but downtown as well. Once downtown and this are is revitalized then I think we can start with the areas along 110. Some high-rise apartments one day would be awesome along 110 wouldn't it?

Hey guys, I know IJM2 could sometimes word some of his ideas a little differently and be a little less crass or blunt, however I think his ideas and valid and good for this discussion. I live in Prairieville, and his opinions are much the same as all my neighbors and friends in this area.

Great post

I don't think they need to start or end at either location, just work on OSBR in general. If both ares are successful, that stretch of Highland will be infected with development as well, it's the best link between the two most popular places in BR, so it's only natural for it to happen.

I think that without some work in Mid-City, downtown will never reach it's potential. From N. 22nd and east toward downtown would help feed it much better and maybe we'll have a safe alternative to urban living in Mid-City.

Edited by Antrell Williams

The Nicholson/RiverDistrict corridors future growth is very important' maybe some Elysian-type live/work/play projects can come to fruition??

The “Downtown Ring”, a ring of development in close proximity, but on the outside of the Downtown Development District, includes The Elysian on Spanish Town Road, the Gulf Coast Housing project in Old South BR, and the Mid-City Gardens Development on North Boulevard.These projects will soon contribute additional housing for the Downtown area.

Hard to believe it's already been over a year sice posting about The Elysian; I was disputing the boundries of Mid City back then....

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/49003-mid-city/page__st__20

Here's the rendering of the Elysian again...

biz450910.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Steps are in place for OSBR to get the number of liquor stores down a.k.a mini-grocery stores; that seem to be on every other block....Some equate all the alcohol with all the voilent crime...maybe the services can return? That's a BIG maybe...wonder how the new YMCA is doing at Howell Place??

Development Plan Laid out for Glen Oaks/Zion City

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/Development-plan-laid-out-for-north-BR.html?index=1&c=y

Dow Louisiana FCU offices, OLOL expansion to go before parish planners

The city-parish Planning Commission is set to vote Monday on rezoning request that would clear the way for the construction of a four-story office building for Dow Louisiana Federal Credit Union. The 60,000-square-foot office will be located on Jefferson Highway, by the Omni Bank building in the Towne Center at Cedar Lodge. A 52-acre industrial storage yard in Baker for the Stupp Corporation will also be discussed at the meeting. Stupp operates a pipe mill in north Baton Rouge. The commission will also vote on plans for Our Lady of the Lake's $200 million expansion, including parking waivers. OLOL is set to add a nine-story tower for heart and vascular treatment, a Level I trauma center and an expanded emergency room.

Businessreport.com

Baton Rouge General gets GO Zone funding for Bluebonnet building

A new medical office building at Baton Rouge General Medical Center's Bluebonnet campus has been approved for $30 million in GO Zone bonds. The bond money was approved to build and equip the 85,000-square-foot building, which will be built on Picardy Avenue. The medical office building is expected to create 200 permanent jobs and 300 temporary construction jobs, according to information filed with the bond commission. The timetable for construction has not been announced; Baton Rouge General officials did not respond to phone calls and e-mails. This project would continue a construction boom at Baton Rouge hospitals: Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center started work on a $200 million expansion; and Woman's Hospital is building a new campus at Airline Highway and Pecue Lane, set to open in fall 2012.

Businessreport.com

New stores going in at Perkins Rowe:

*Applebee's

*BCBGeneration

*Bumble Lane Spa

*Langford Market - a women's boutique

*Nails So Happy

*Private Gallery - a women's boutique

I also think there might be another something going into the space to the left(north) of Barnes and Noble.

Burbank property sold for Goodwill

A tract near the intersection of Bluebonnet Boulevard and Burbank Drive has been sold for $900,000 to developers who plan to build a Goodwill store on the site. Dantin-Bruce Development bought the property, which fronts on Burbank, from Jerry Pearson in a deal that closed Monday. Construction of the 13,000-square-foot store will start next month, says Brian Dantin, and the Goodwill store should open in about 10 months. This will be the third Goodwill store in Baton Rouge. Pearson owns a 15-acre tract at Bluebonnet and Burbank, across from where a Walmart Supercenter is slated to open in 2013. Plans are to build a mixed-use development at the site and to have Goodwill become the first tenant. "There's a lot of interest in that location," says Dantin.

Apartment complex planned for West McKinley

The Michaels Organization, a New Jersey group, teamed up with Lafayette-based Moreno Properties last month to buy an Old South Baton Rouge church and day care center for $1.37 million. At the time, representatives from Michaels wouldn't comment on what they planned to do with the 6.25-acre tract, which had belonged to Charity Christian Center. But Michaels is set to go before the city-parish Planning Commission in July with a request to rezone the property for a 152-unit apartment complex. Officials with Michaels say the development may end up with a different number of units, but it will be a mix of one- to four-bedroom apartments. The development will be aimed at the LSU student market. The project was set to go before the Planning Commission on Monday, but it was postponed after Michaels discovered a location of the Blundon Home orphanage had been located on the site. Because of the historical sensitivity, officials with the development company plan to meet with neighbors and get community backing for the project before going to the Planning Commission. The apartment complex may have "Blundon" in its name, a Michaels spokeswoman says, to reflect the history of the area.

from businessreport.com

Burbank property sold for Goodwill

A tract near the intersection of Bluebonnet Boulevard and Burbank Drive has been sold for $900,000 to developers who plan to build a Goodwill store on the site. Dantin-Bruce Development bought the property, which fronts on Burbank, from Jerry Pearson in a deal that closed Monday. Construction of the 13,000-square-foot store will start next month, says Brian Dantin, and the Goodwill store should open in about 10 months. This will be the third Goodwill store in Baton Rouge. Pearson owns a 15-acre tract at Bluebonnet and Burbank, across from where a Walmart Supercenter is slated to open in 2013. Plans are to build a mixed-use development at the site and to have Goodwill become the first tenant. "There's a lot of interest in that location," says Dantin.

from businessreport.com

Here come the bums

Edited by itsjustme2