Baton Rouge vs. Shreveport

bigboyz05

Baton Rouge Mardi Gras has been gradually becoming larger each year; but the bad weather on consecutive weekends hindered some of the crowds this season.

Wow ! I did not realize Shreveport/Bossier had such large parades !

Sounds like you guys had the same problems we had this year. Maybe next year will be better to all of us!

Actually Mardi Gras here has only been going on since the early '90s. That's how new it is here, but it received a very favorable reception. Of course it will NEVER replace the Mardi Gras of New Orleans, but I've found that many people come here because ... for the most part ... our parades are very family-oriented. Just a word of advice: if you're ever in Shreveport during Mardi Gras and you're wanting family-oriented fun, stay away from the area known as "Shreve City." But if you're looking for an atmosphere similar to the wildness of Bourbon Street at Mardi Gras, give Shreve City a try. It's actually an old commercial/residential area of the city, but for some reason at Mardi Gras time, that's where the wildness sets in. I'm sure it has to do with the availability of bars and clubs in that area.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have to say probably not, based solely on one major factor... the weather. The first weekend of parades here was marred by ice and the second was marred by rain.

To make matters worse, there were numerous travel writers in our fair cities for our parades this year, and they certainly couldn't have gone away a good opinion of our weather over those two weeks. Hopefully their articles will overlook that small flaw and focus on the fun and festivities.

Mother Nature wasn't very kind to you guys this Mardi Gras I see! ;) Hopefully the weather will be great for Mardi Gras up there next year.

Yeah nice to see things picking up over here. Although I admit I haven't been over here as much as I was for a while. The main Arkansas forum died off a bit as well lately. Just the northwest Arkansas forum seems to have much activity over there.

^I've been pretty busy and haven't been able to spend much time on the forum, but I should be able to be active on UP again soon. Hopefully the main Arkansas forum will start to pick up again soon as well. :D

^You'll see me over there frequently as well. My family has a very long history in the Texarkana area, and I like to check out whats going on throughout the state. :D

I realize I failed to mention Texarkana in my post. My wife and I met 5 years ago when she was living in Texarkana, and I actually lived in the Beacon Point apartments on Arkansas Blvd in Texarkana, AR, for about 5 months when I first got married 3 years ago. Man that was a long commute to south Shreveport every day!!

^Man, that is a long commute! That's gotta be around 90-95 miles. :w00t:

It was actually 85 miles exactly! And boy was it long. I then moved into a south Shreveport apartment and was literally 1 mile from work... how cool is that? As of October, 2005, though, I've finally settled into a home in suburban east Bossier where I'm only 24 miles from work... not too shabby! In the mornings I have a 30-minute commute and in the evenings it typically takes me closer to 40 minutes, but that's still not bad. I actually have a co-worker who lives 30 minutes southeast of Dallas and commutes to this same office building every single day.

It was actually 85 miles exactly!

I actually have a co-worker who lives 30 minutes southeast of Dallas and commutes to this same office building every single day.

Ahh, I was actually thinking 85 when I first ran the mileage through my head! ;)

Wow, that co-worker of your's must pay quite a few bucks per day on gas!

Ahh, I was actually thinking 85 when I first ran the mileage through my head! ;)

Wow, that co-worker of your's must pay quite a few bucks per day on gas!

Company truck and company gas card... plus his insane salary. He's set! Lucky for him, he's trying to find some land near Shreveport so he can cut his commute to only 30 miles or so.

When I was commuting 85 miles, the traffic had me RAGING by the time I got home.

You should see the traffic around here! I'm currently living in Covington, a city on the booming northshore of Lake Ponchartrain in Saint Tammany Parish. Pre-Katrina Covington had a population of around 9,000, and estimates now place its population near 45,000. Saint Tammany itself had a population of 190,000 and is now estimated to have around 300,000 people. The traffic is horrible!

You should see the traffic around here! I'm currently living in Covington, a city on the booming northshore of Lake Ponchartrain in Saint Tammany Parish. Pre-Katrina Covington had a population of around 9,000, and estimates now place its population near 45,000. Saint Tammany itself had a population of 190,000 and is now estimated to have around 300,000 people. The traffic is horrible!

Well it wasn't exactly heavy traffic, it's just that Hwy. 71 between Shreveport and Texarkana is only 2 lanes and it never fails... you'll always get stuck behind someone slow when you just can't pass!

Actually the traffic I drive home in every day is much worse than the traffic on Hwy. 71 was. If I leave here after 5:15 or 5:30, I can count on it taking at least 10 minutes just to go 1 mile downtown where I-20 and I-49 meet. It's nothing like metro New Orleans traffic, but it's bad enough. I've driven in rush hour in New Orleans, Houston, San Antonio, and Chicago, and I can honestly say Shreveport's traffic doesn't compare... but it's bad enough to make me hit the roof some days.

Oh and by the way, I can't imagine!! I've been to Covington and I can't imagine it having 300,000 people in the area. Holy crap!

Oh and by the way, I can't imagine!! I've been to Covington and I can't imagine it having 300,000 people in the area. Holy crap!

It's pretty amazing. Covington isn't just a bedroom community to New Orleans anymore. There has been talk about Entergy, one of Louisiana's two fortune 500 companies relocating here from downtown New Orleans, and Shell Oil setting up major offices as well. Not to mention the fact that there is a new development, whether it's office, residential, or retail going up in the city every day. :D

NCB , It sounds like to me Covington could eventually have a couple of 12 -14 story office-towers Downtown ?

I remember years back, riding deep in the heart of Covington , suprising to me was a 6 or 7 -story bldg. (maybe an apartment ?) near the Downtown area ?

Maybe some future mid-rise condo's on the lakefront in Mandeville too ?

^The growth taking place in Covington is pretty interesting. Right now, there are four main zones where growth is taking place, I'll get more into that in the SE Louisiana Development Thread. But to answer you question, I could definately see some 12+ story buildings in the city, though not in the old downtown section. Also, I know what building your talking about in Covington, it's a 6 story apartment building a few hundred feet outside of downtown, on the Bogue Falaya River.

Thanks again NCB ...I accidentally replied to your statement on the other tread.

Supkof has already caught-up and is about to pass me right-on-up .

This has been fun !

:rofl: looks like you (Richy) and I will stay neck-and-neck as far as posts go. But that's good, because obviously we both have a lot to say. :thumbsup:

Archived