Baseball in Charlotte, which will happen?

monsoon

BaseBall in Charlotte, which will happen?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. BaseBall in Charlotte, which will happen?

• Major League Baseball in 2nd Ward
    • Minor League Baseball in 3rd Ward
    • Neither

The paper has an article today about Jerry Reese's plan to bring major league baseball to downtown Charlotte. The plan on paper seems to be much better than the opposing plan to re-locate the minor league team in Ft. Mill to 3rd ward. As incredible as it sounds, the Reese plan includes 6000 condos, a domed stadium and as "as much retail as in North Lake" all in second ward, and it does not require expensive land swaps that will affect the plans for 3rd ward park. The paper also said that all of Reese's plans in the past had little or no success.

So which will it be? 2nd ward and majors, 3rd ward and minors, or nothing?

I note that is interesting but not surprising the media here is very reluctant to frame either as an opposing plan to the other but no doubt we can't have both. LOL

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is highly unlikely that we will get MLB within even a decade, possibly two. It is great that we have some one crazy enough to put a plan together to at least attempt to get the Marlins.

That said, though, the Marlins will move to LV or Portland, and I believe people will be satisfied in the end with the land swap that leads to the Knights stadium in 3rd Ward.

It isn't a huge loss if we get a minor league stadium that costs $~30m, and have it last maybe 15 years and then get torn down when we get MLB. That is parallel to the Hornets Colisseum, in terms of cost and lifespan.

Honestly, even if the Marlins do pick us, I will be very apprehensive. It is very hard to sustain an MLB team, and if South Florida can't do it, how in the world will Charlotte!?! Also, Second Ward was reviewed as a location and found to be not sustainable for minor league baseball. It isn't the best location for major league baseball either. It is much farther to walk from the employment centers downtown, and would require the building of a lot of parking facilities that would be in addition to the parking that would support nearby housing. The beauty of the 3rd Ward parking facilities, is that they were built for the office towers, and would be mostly empty in the evenings without sports.

AAA stadium would be the best bet for Charlotte. I'm actually surprised that a city with so many resources hasnt already built an uptown ballpark. Durham was able to get one back in 95 because of law the city has. City leaders were able to use city funds without voter approval. If they had to get voter approval the stadium would not have been built, at least back in 1995. Greensboro used "old money" from the city's wealthy foundations to build its downtown ballpark using Memphis as a funding model.

I think the Charlotte metro area will need almost as twice as many people it has now to support Major League Baseball. If Charlotte had MLB now it would be considered a small market team.

I heard the mayor give a speech today and when asked about baseball, his response was flat out no. He said everything we're hearing about MLB has been dreamed up by the media and the Marlins. Thats good to know, b/c I'd hate to see a team come here and fail due to lack of attendance. Triple A is the way to go.

Wow, 1/2 billion dollars is quite a project. At least the county is scruntinizing the plan so that any land swaps will not mean it loses money on the deal. I guess they are going to have apprasals done on all the property.

Paper gives the

3rd ward plan - 50% chance

2nd ward plan - 14% chance

Those odds seemed right. I'm glad they are doing thorough due dilligence. I suspect that odds for the 3rd Ward plan will probably improve in a couple months, when the appraisals are done. Since Mass Mutual will throw in some cash if the appraisals for the 5 acre parcel turn out a less than the 8 acre site. That means even more money for the park, or if the county keeps the budget the same, then they could just spend less bond money on the site, leaving more money for parks in other parts of the county.

• 1 month later...

The headline news on Channel 9 at noon is about Jerry Reese's plans to bring MLB to 2nd ward. Apparently he will be presenting new information to the County Council tonight which may decide to go with his plan rather than supporting the proposed plan for 3rd Ward park for minor league baseball. (Remember they own the land needed for that one)

Reese says he has new information concerning the Marlins that is important to the decision.

Theres just no way Charlotte could support the Marlins. I really enjoyed the days when the city was in full support of the Hornets, and frankly would rather see that happen again (with the Bobcats). Also, another huge domed stadium doesn't need to be built within the loop. A minor league stadium that you can look inside and see all the grass is much more appealing if we HAVE to have something.

I have a question to bring up here. I just wondered how a stadium and/or park would be good for 3rd ward? I just think it takes up more space that could be used for towers. I like having Bobcats arena and Panthers stadium. I just thinking adding one more would be pressing it. I don't know, I am not the greatest at visioning things before they are there, but I just see it as taking up valuable space. Anyone have any imput on this?

State, at least the baseball stadium would hold more than 11 events a year, unlike that eyesore of a football stadium.

That is true. I mean I love the panthers, but part of me wishes they weren't uptown. I don't think the stadium is that bad, but I just wish we had more room uptown and since the stadium is already there I just wonder if adding a third stadium would be wise.

That is true. I mean I love the panthers, but part of me wishes they weren't uptown. I don't think the stadium is that bad, but I just wish we had more room uptown and since the stadium is already there I just wonder if adding a third stadium would be wise.

Maybe the stadium would force skyscrapers to build further out expanding the skyline. Baseball (minor league) has done wonders for downtown Durham. A retractable dome stadium along with the private investments would only add people, retail, and money to Uptown

Maybe the stadium would force skyscrapers to build further out expanding the skyline. Baseball (minor league) has done wonders for downtown Durham. A retractable dome stadium along with the private investments would only add people, retail, and money to Uptown

Is there available land furthur out. It is a good point, but looking at pics i don't see a lot of land. I know there are a few parking lots that need/can be built on, but after that a lot of land has buildings on. I guess that doesn't mean these can't be torn down for new towers. I am really not saying it is terrible to build a stadium downtown as much is I am questioning the idea. You have a good point here though.

This is an interesting thread.

I think everyone is missing one crucial point---the incredible allure of MLB. MLB isn't just something that existing baseball fans enjoy. It spreads like wildfire. People who had never been interested in baseball find themselves watching the games on TV and feeling even more pride for their city, which feeds more into the local spread of the sport. It is a seductive presence.

In 1995 several friends moved to Seattle when I did. None of us had ever been even slightly interested in baseball. After 6 months living in the local baseball culture, with the Seattle Mariners, we all became fans!!!! :) We started going to games.

Seattle's baseball games draw people as far away as Silverdale Washington, a 1.5 hour commute each way....if Charlotte had a team you would be amazed at how many Carolina baseball fans would drop the Braves like a hot potato, and drive in to see their Carolina team!

If Charlotte had a MLB team, before long executives will invite whole offices to join in at their private stadium sitting areas....new fans are created and the sport explodes. Miami is too damn hot to sit outside and watch a baseball game. Just because it didn't make it in Miami, doesn't mean that it wouldn't make it in Charlotte.

With all the condo residents close-by, and the games starting when everyone gets off work, it should make the odds look pretty good.

Parking can be a resolvable problem, so can land deals. Go for the gusto. Go for MLB. Go ahead and build a world class stadium NOW. Why build a Triple A stadium that will be demolished in 10-20 years??????

Interesting about 277...I was talking with a taxi driver this morning going to the airport, and I expressed my loathing for 277...and mentioned that Charlotte would be 10times the city it currently is if that road just 'went away'.

I might even write a letter to the city council airing my views...I hate that road!!!

-K

Archived