Baseball in Charlotte, which will happen?

monsoon

BaseBall in Charlotte, which will happen?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. BaseBall in Charlotte, which will happen?

• Major League Baseball in 2nd Ward
    • Minor League Baseball in 3rd Ward
    • Neither

I think AAA baseball in Uptown would be great, and successful, and I hope they can pull it off. I would absolutely love MLB in Charlotte, but don't want the Marlins. I heard the other day they were playing with a $14 Million Payroll...that's pathetic seeing that NY and Boston are upwards of $200 Million each.

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another hurdle CLT would have to get over for the support of Columbia would be the whole high and mighty "stigma" the area seems to have towards South Carolinians outside the CLT metro.

Not to get too far off-topic here, but what exactly is this 'stigma'? I've heard of this before and it's not like I'm new to the area... I moved here from NY in 1994. I don't think I've ever heard people of SC called disparaging names by any (Charlottean) in the past 12 years just because they're from south of the border. What is the big deal? It's not like I look at the license plates on a car and think.. "Hmm.. SC. Totally B-grade people.." Is that the prevalent thought? Or is that what SC thinks that Charlotte thinks about them? Did I get the jist right? I just don't hear/get it...

I agree that I haven't heard anything negative about living in SC. My own view about baseball and other growth in Lancaster and York counties are just like my views of growth in Union, Cabarrus, Gaston, and Iredell counties. I'm glad to get regional growth, but I worry about sprawl and about having regional amenties outside of the core.

Not to get too far off-topic here, but what exactly is this 'stigma'? I've heard of this before and it's not like I'm new to the area... I moved here from NY in 1994. I don't think I've ever heard people of SC called disparaging names by any (Charlottean) in the past 12 years just because they're from south of the border. What is the big deal? It's not like I look at the license plates on a car and think.. "Hmm.. SC. Totally B-grade people.." Is that the prevalent thought? Or is that what SC thinks that Charlotte thinks about them? Did I get the jist right? I just don't hear/get it...

Check out this thread.

I still don't understand why u guys want a minor league team downtown. It will kill your chances of getting a MLB team downtown. Whatever though...bring MLB to raleigh

To ATLVR, (Hope thats right)

MLB has 30 teams, not 36 ???

And there is plenty of room for expansion, especially in the American League.

Recently built minor league stadiums aren't keeping Norfolk, Las Vegas, and Portland from being in the running for a MLB team.

Thats not my point. I mean it will stop you from getting one DOWNTOWN anytime soon. Do you really want a minor league and mlb stadium both taking up space downtown at one time? I would rather have just one, that being MLB. I don't think it will be 20 years before MLB comes knocking on your door, it will be much sooner. And if a minor league stadium is uptown that means the MLB stadium could get built in the sticks.(or Raleigh) They will not tear the minor league stadium down, what a waste of money that would be.

They will not tear the minor league stadium down, what a waste of money that would be.

Tearing down a $30 million stadium after 10 years (probably when Charlotte would be "ready" for MLB) is not really such a big deal. After all, they tore the Kingdome in Seattle down after 22 years - that cost a heckuva lot more to build (in today's dollars).

I thought this map was interesting.

It is really sad if MLB lets go of the fact that 13,000,000 fans in the Carolinas support the Braves. ;) Our Market screams expansion. In just the next decade the Carolina's will be marching towards 16-17,000,000 in population and possibly still no representation. What gives?? I think it could be a HUGE loss if MLB is not expanded in the next 5-10 years in the Carolina's. Just for the record Charlotte would boast well over a 3M+CSA by then. The city alone will be closing in as one of the top in population. Check out the Growth rate of Charlotte over the last ten years as a city. ALMOST A 40% GROWTH RATE (and still gaining newcomers EVERYDAY).

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html

It is one of the fastest of ALL 50 cities in the US. Actually it ranks in the top Five. This is a silly discussion. If MLB does not want to grow than I say keep your expansion, but if you want to see growth in a Franchise just put them here. Build it and they will come.

A2

Just so NO one argues that the Carolina's would still root for the Braves take a look at the EXACT same map, but for the NFL. Note the change to Panthers. It takes all the territory that the Braves won over in the MLB map. It is funny how people pull for the Braves since they are all we have between ATL and Dfreggin'C !!!!!

CAROLNA WANTS A TEAM !!!

http://www.commoncensus.org/maps/nfl_1280.gif

"Thats not my point. I mean it will stop you from getting one DOWNTOWN anytime soon. Do you really want a minor league and mlb stadium both taking up space downtown at one time? I would rather have just one, that being MLB. I don't think it will be 20 years before MLB comes knocking on your door, it will be much sooner. And if a minor league stadium is uptown that means the MLB stadium could get built in the sticks.(or Raleigh) They will not tear the minor league stadium down, what a waste of money that would be."

I think you are letting your desire for a MLB team cloud your judgement. We are in position to lure a MLB team to Charlotte anytime soon. Local government is not interested, and the public seems rather apathetic as well. We already have a minor league team that nobody goes to see.

I say move them uptown, and try and cultivate a fanbase. Once that is done, I am sure whichever team relocates/expands here can provide funding to move the Knights to another city and destroy the old stadium.

I don't agree with the above about nobody going to see the Knights. I think the attendance problems had to do more with the front office than people not wanting to go to a baseball game. Opening day last week had the largest opening day crowd ever at 12,000 and some odd fans - and that is with a stated capacity of 10,002! The new management has done really well with advertising and getting people interested - and even excited - about baseball. Baseball has a long history in North Carolina, and I don't see it leaving anytime soon.

I do agree that Charlotte is not ready for an MLB team just yet. NFL and NBA are pretty much filling the need for pro sports teams in this area right now, and baseball is much more difficult to fill the seats because of the number of games and the odd times (such as midday during the week). I think the Charlotte Knights move to uptown will be a good idea because it builds the fanbase that you need when MLB does decide to move into this market. There is one problem though - Charlotte will be able to support MLB in about ten years, as stated above. But the stadium they plan to build for the Knights has no room for expansion into an MLB stadium. I would think you would build the stadium for the Knights now with the idea that one day MLB will be in Charlotte and instead of building a brand new stadium for an exorbitant amount of money, retrofit the existing one.

• 1 month later...

Well, with the Marlins now saying that Miami/South Florida is in the lead (surprise surprise), with Jerry Reese no where to be seen, and with no clear problems arising with the Third Ward Park/Knights/Second Ward Plan plan, it appears that the latter will happen. Something could still change that, but to me that seems unlikely. CCP requested a decision by June, and I'm sure Mecklenburg county is anxious to move forward with their park in one of the two locations. I guess we'll be hearing the answer to this in the upcoming weeks or month.

I think the Charlotte Knights move to uptown will be a good idea because it builds the fanbase that you need when MLB does decide to move into this market. There is one problem though - Charlotte will be able to support MLB in about ten years, as stated above. But the stadium they plan to build for the Knights has no room for expansion into an MLB stadium. I would think you would build the stadium for the Knights now with the idea that one day MLB will be in Charlotte and instead of building a brand new stadium for an exorbitant amount of money, retrofit the existing one.

I agree. With Charlotte growing as rapidly as it is - there's no indication that the pace is going to slow down - it seems to feed on itself - I think that building a ballpark without the ability to expand is just plain shortsighted b/c I agree, in 10 years, Charlotte will be big enough for MLB.

• 2 weeks later...

Charlotte will be able to support MLB in about ten years, as stated above. But the stadium they plan to build for the Knights has no room for expansion into an MLB stadium. I would think you would build the stadium for the Knights now with the idea that one day MLB will be in Charlotte and instead of building a brand new stadium for an exorbitant amount of money, retrofit the existing one.

I agree 100% -- this has been my argument since they began talking about the minor league stadium downtown. It makes no sense to build a minor league-sized stadium that has no capability for expansion, while at the same time we are talking about MLB possibly coming to Charlotte. Whether it's 5 or 10 or 20 years from now before Charlotte is truly ready for an MLB team, what do they expect to do with the minor league stadium when the time comes? Blow it up and start from scratch?

I agree 100% -- this has been my argument since they began talking about the minor league stadium downtown. It makes no sense to build a minor league-sized stadium that has no capability for expansion, while at the same time we are talking about MLB possibly coming to Charlotte. Whether it's 5 or 10 or 20 years from now before Charlotte is truly ready for an MLB team, what do they expect to do with the minor league stadium when the time comes? Blow it up and start from scratch?

This will be a privately funded stadium. We'll get to have baseball uptown, and when MLB comes and the city is much larger and richer, we'll build a new stadium. Let's face it, MLB in 10-15 years isn't going to want to expand a minor league park anyway.

Luckily, though, this won't be a publicly funded stadium that will become obsolete and cause all sorts of hubbub at being torn down after 15 years (like the Coliseum).

Archived