MDOT Funding Disparities

GaryP

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny all of the Detroit people used to tell me I was full of crap when I brought this up. Looks like I am right after all... The East side is nothing more than a money pit. In their defense however, I am sure the same amount makes it to the street after their corrupt politicians (at all levels - Granholm, hint...hint...) take their fill.

That's very frustrating, I feel that the Grand Region should be allocated more resources, on the sheer basis, that it's growing faster than any other region in Michigan, we need to allow room for expansion as our roads get more and more crowded. On the other hand, even though our funding is significantly lower than the rest of the state, I still feel trapped on all sides by construction every spring summer fall!

Funny all of the Detroit people used to tell me I was full of crap when I brought this up. Looks like I am right after all... The East side is nothing more than a money pit. In their defense however, I am sure the same amount makes it to the street after their corrupt politicians (at all levels - Granholm, hint...hint...) take their fill.

:rolleyes:

^superNOVA has been the thorn in the side of the Detroiter since I've known him. You may think hes spouting 'same old' banter to antagonize, but I walk away from it thinking about the 'what ifs.' I think that is almost always the point with his additions to the forums. What if thoes in power are taking us for a ride? Be they Democrat or Republican, what if?

The money goes where it is needed and where the most people in the state lives, and this goes for any state. Politics is a dirty game. Always has been, and always will be. Though, I'm a bit surprised that with a Southeast Michigan Republicans are in charge of the Michigan congress, and it shows in where the money goes. I'm surprised they haven't been able to get more done, and that Engler wasn't as kind to West Michigan as he should have been.

West Michigan does have to fight harder for it's money; and it should. That's how politics works in a single nodular (Southeast Michigan) state.

*yay! I made it through without having to directly respond to superNOVA's incessently bitter digs!*

^Is it really needed in Detroit? I think the need is in Metro GR also, and as the article states we aren't recieiving the correct amount, even if the awarding of money was based on population... LMichigan, what makes you think you have to respond to superNOVA anyway?

I agree with L. The GR politicians didn't fight hard enough for our share. The larger populations usually get to take the largest percentages and we didn't get what we should have. We should have come in second in funding per capita, and there is noone to blame but our own leadership.

I think transit issues are extremely important to an area's growth and more of our region's politcal capital needs to be thrown behind this issue.

Rizzo, it is needed in Southeastern Michigan, and Detroit more particularly. I guess "how much" is definitely a fair question to ask.

Light rail will be a must as Grand Rapids begins to sprawl even further outward, but they will have to fight harder, and bring excellent and feasible plans to the table if they want it now. That's the nature of the beast that is Michigan. BTW, I feel as though I have to respond to superNOVA (420x) because he asks for one, and up until now, I was happy to oblige. It's one thing to be critical, it's a whole other to be unnecessarily nasty and bitter whenever Southeastern Michigan, or Detroit, is mentioned. I find that to be worse than any of my defenses of my birth region.

Thanks Lmich. Lightrail and rapid transit is off the table by the way.

I don't believe that's true Rizzo. The funding to do the next level of studies is sitting at the Fed just waiting for someone to put up the matching funds (or reinstitute a similar bill as the one that Granholm shot down).

BTW: Did anyone see that MDOT is reopening their study of the 131 bypass South of Kalamazoo? Sounds like Granholm is trying to throw West Michigan a bone to keep us quite for awhile :P

I don't believe that's true Rizzo. The funding to do the next level of studies is sitting at the Fed just waiting for someone to put up the matching funds (or reinstitute a similar bill as the one that Granholm shot down

Sadly the Feds do not hold money for political winds to change. They will not wait for us - odds are it is already being spent elsewhere - in a State where the governor actually wants improvement. This is the second time Granholm dissed Fed matching funds (actually third time) at the expense of West Michigan. The other two... $500 million refusal on the 31 Bypass and another couple hundred on the 131 extension.

Remainder of post deleted: Apparently you missed my note about being civil about our disagreements. You're on notice SuperNOVA.

I guess i'm not clear on some of the themes of that Article, she would not let the bill pass because it was Kent County exclusive? What would be the drawbacks of making it statewide? She must be able to see the benefits of lightrail in GR, that, about anything I would say is what we need to propel us to the next level. Asside from pressure, what would it take to make her sign on to letting this happen. It sounds like it would not affect anything but us the voters, and tax payers of Kent county. I have emailed my state representative. What else can I do?

IF you have a mic, talk about this as much as possible. I think the best thing you can do is keep sending mail each and everyday, just so they know that you exist.

Be a concerned citizen and if that dosen't get you anywhere, be a disgruntled one.

I have emailed my state representative. What else can I do?

On this one, I'm not sure what else people can do except stay engaged in the issue and don't let it die. Definitely reminding our elected officials of the importance of mass transit helps. There may be some forumers involved with ITP who may have other "actionable" things you can do too.

Funding desparities are just a part of life, I heard a stat once that Michigan gets back like 80 something cents on every dollar we pay into federal taxes. And Detroit's freeways really are in much worse shape than anything I've seen in GR, just drive down the Lodge or 696, and I'm sure theres others. Some of Lansing's freeway's have been overhauled, but I think that some still need resurfacing and need widening even more. And all urban cities in Michigan are in need of, and want light rail or something like it, and the chances of anyone getting the state to flip a considerable amount of the bill are slim, but Detroit obviously has the best chance. And if, as the article suggested, the cities current transit system should be a major requisit for getting funding, Lansing should be next in line. It's all politics and none of it makes any sense, so it's probably best to not go crazy trying to understand bureaucracy.

I don't agree that Detoit has the best chance of getting light rail. In fact, I would say it has the worse chance at seeing any type of upgrade to its tansit system. I think the city with the highest chances at building a lightrail corridor is probably Lansing. Currently Lansing's transit system has the states second highest ridership. Detroit is probably the least likely metro to build such a system because of the lack of cooperation between the counties and municipalities. Its disturbing that Grand Rapids may loose when it is clearly the most prepared, cooperative, and responsible with transit. If Lansing and Detroit recieved lighrail or rapid transit quickly and seemlessly, I would see it as a slap in the face to Metro Grand Rapids.

Archived