MDOT Funding Disparities

GaryP

I think that that Lansing and Grand Rapids will likely be awarded the same opprotunities on many fronts, including light rail. Lansing and GR are the better off Michgan core cities and GR is going crazy with development, and Lansing is quickly picking up steam. I think that GR and Lansing will both likely have light rail within 10 years, hopefully 5.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After shooting emails and phone calls to folks who know more about this then I do, I say that GR won't be getting light rail. If we do build rapid transit sometime in the next 10-20 years, you will see BRT or Bus only lanes. I can't speak for Lansing as I haven't contacted any of your transit officials.

From Street Talk in the GRBJ

United they stand. Fourteen West Michigan state legislators have signed a letter blasting Gov. Granholm's five year transportation plan, which they say presents an "unequal distribution of funds in comparison to demographics and need."

The article compares the percent of roads with work scheduled in the Grand region (15%) to the Metro region (26%), and also says that the plan was already approved last Thursday.

My Opinion:

Wow a letter! That worked pretty well :blink:

Legislators, get nasty! There has to be something that 9 representatives and 5 Senators can block, stall or mess with to get their way. A letter was much too passive a response.

I guess i'm not clear on some of the themes of that Article, she would not let the bill pass because it was Kent County exclusive? What would be the drawbacks of making it statewide? She must be able to see the benefits of lightrail in GR, that, about anything I would say is what we need to propel us to the next level. Asside from pressure, what would it take to make her sign on to letting this happen. It sounds like it would not affect anything but us the voters, and tax payers of Kent county. I have emailed my state representative. What else can I do?

Maybe this can help? http://www.mlui.org/toolkit.asp

• 2 weeks later...

The past couple of weeks I have driven accross the country. I've passed thru a few different cities, all using the interstate, freeway system. The Freeway system in GR is an embarrassment. Frankly the entire state leaves something to desire, when it comes to the urban Freeway system. I feel that in terms of commerce, it may be one of the many hurdles in the way of our cities progress. I have looked at MDOT's site, and am having trouble discerning what the future plans are for the Metropolitan Area. Does anyone else feel that the Ford, and 131, are hokey and in need of serious overhauling. I appreciate the work done in the north and south zones. But thru the urban core, and soon, we are going to have to suffer, some major reconstruction. I know alot of people feel the freeways are an enemy in the way of progress, sending all the people, all the money to the suburbs. But I feel they are just as much an inhibitor growth if they aren't maintained. Entering a city, the freeways, how well they are kept, planned and designed, say alot about an area. If you were a person Driving into GR for the first time, what would it say to you? Sometimes when i'm headed westbound on the Ford into downtown. I can't tell If i'm in Saginaw, or looking for goats grazing in the median. The only thing I can say for sure, is that it needs to get better.

Freeway access is one aspect of Grand Rapids' urban system that needs improvement. They need to streamline alot of the overpasses and onramps like what they did at 28th st and 131. I drive that stretch every day on my way to work, and since they rebuilt it, that stretch flows much better. Allowing cars entering the freeway to pass through the intersection via a third lane with a constant green arrow was one of the things they were able to do by widening the 28th st overpass.

I know alot of people feel the freeways are an enemy in the way of progress, sending all the people, all the money to the suburbs. But I feel they are just as much an inhibitor growth if they aren't maintained.

My own personal feeling is we don't need to keep building more, just better maintenance on what we currently have. I agree with you 100%. :thumbsup:

Archived