Widening I-26

Spartan

Well, the typical idiots of the region think that widening I-26 is not necessary and shouldn't even be considered. According to the article link below, State Senator Robert Ford thinks that the plans for the Neck are being forced. Ford, along with local environmental and business leaders, has tried to stop the DOT public hearing, which krazee posted a link for earlier. The public hearing is to outline plans for widening I-26.

Ford says there needs to be a comprehensive study of transportation needs around the city, and it needs more input from local residents. Ford, Dana Beach from the CCL, and the representatives of some area businesses say that the DOT needs to consider a plan, like the one from the BCDCOG a few years ago, which suggested improvements to other major thoroughfares, such as Spruill Ave., that would make an I-26 widening unnecessary. They are also in favor of looking at alternatives like light rail transportation.

I agree, upgrading the infamous Spruill Ave. and looking at different alternatives like rail (preferably monorail) are necessary improvements. However, they should be done as well as widening I-26!

That's what makes me so frustrated with Chas leaders, they are so shortsighted. Widening I-26 isn't just about accomodating more cars that will be using the highway through the Neck, it's also about providing more room for the trucks for the port. Keeping the interstate as it is will only induce more congestion and may affect the feasibility of building the new terminal on the old Navy base. The whole Neck should be a multi-phase project: widening I-26 from the Mark Clark to the end of the highway would be first, improvements to Spruil Ave. and Morrison Dr. would be the next phase, and starting the infrastructure groundwork for the monorail would be the last phase.

Throttle back on I-26 widening, Ford says

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Now wait a minute- a SENATOR actually suggested that Charleston improve other roads and look at light rail as an alternative to widening lanes??? I almost can't believe it. I would rather see that happen than widening 26. Force people to use OTHER roads- but make those other roads more firendly to traffic. Charleston is too dependent on 1 road to access downtown from the north.

How asinine. So, we should just improve the already congested roads to have those same cars and that same traffic ruin those roads-that we're going to pay for- again?? You know I respect most Senators of this state, but I swear that education requirement for our state to hold office rears its ugly head from time to time. Its called infrastructure people, and before Charleston begins this massive undertaking-ie Magnolia or whatever these unyielding developers can conceive of, our roads need to be up to par. People always holler and scream "We don't want to be another Atlanta, blah, blah" Well, how are we any different if we're shoveling dirt everywhere but not improving and expanding the roads to sustain our growth. For example, the Stretch of I26 from about 17A Summerville/Moncks Corner to-Ashley Phosphate Road is indicative of what our metro area's interstate should look like all the way downtown. We as residents-longtime residents at that- fight this bs traffic day in and day out deserve it and those that plan to settle here in the future deserve it, and our local and state officials need to find a way to make this happen. Fast would be good, but not necessary to provide a sense of polictical efficacy. Just find a way to get it done or at least acknowledge that expanding this lone interstate into Charleston is necessary!

Archived