Favorite restaurants in Augusta?

socaguy

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, well so nobody is responding here, i guess Ill reply to myself..lol.

Its been a while since Ive lived there but when i did I really liked French Market Grille in Surrey Center. Also loved the Boll Weevil, The Pizza Joint, La Maison, The King George and Cafe du Teau.

The Metro Coffee shop was just opening when I left Augusta but I did visit a few times and really liked it...although Im not a coffee drinker, (but they do sell alcohol). Never tried Blue Sky Kitchen, Wicked Wasabi, Mellow Mushroom or any of the other new restaraunts that have opened up Downtown in the past couple of years. Any reports on them?

As far as clubs, how is the Majeska? What other clubs are operating downtown? I know Soul bar is still doing well from what I hear. There seemed to be alot happening downtown last time i went through on a weekend night...heading to Jackson SC. From what i hear Argos is the best gay bar now and the Shack in North Augusta has all the late night, early morning action. Is the Highlander still open? God I can remember when all the bars/clubs in Augusta would close at 3am Saturday night and everyone would pack the late night bars in North Augusta, (South Carolina).

Being from Aiken, and generally not having a huge amount of time to sample new things when I'm home, I really don't have the best take on culinary matters, but I'll try...

Pizza Joint - always eat here when home... some of the best pizza i've had (anywhere)

Fernando's (Aiken) - also excellent pizza

Nacho Mama's - solid food, great atmosphere

Any of the fancier dt Aiken restaurants - No. 10, Up Your Alley, Bowery...

Hot Foods by Calvin - great soul food

I don't know anything about the Augusta heterosexual nightlife scene... I stay in DT Aiken when hanging out with my straight friends (usually the brew pub)...

As far as the gay bars go, Argos is currently the hottest, but I've heard rumors of some crowds heading back to Coliseum... The Shack is always slammed on the weekends around 3-4 AM. And Marlboro Station in Aiken still gets solid crowds (I've even heard long lines/waits) on Sunday nights...

Topher, I didnt even know Marlboro station was still open in Aiken. Cool, ill have to check that out again next time i get there. DT Aiken does have some nice little cafes and restaurants. I used to date a guy who managed the Bowery but thats been a while back so Im not sure if he is still there...probably so. Its a good place. Never been to the Shack but I heard it gets pretty fun in the early mornings.

As far as inexpensive restaurants go, I've found Blue Sky Kitchen to be very good. I haven't been to the Modjeska in years but from what I understand it attracts huge crowds on the weekends and is the only nightclub in town that i know of that is sophisticated enough to have theme parties (white parties, lingerie parties, etc.) and still be cool about it. I always heard that Bambu on Hickman in the Partridge Inn was good, they actually had a write-up about it in the New York Times and the AJC--they closed not too long back though right along with D'Timms (which did not close for lack of business, but for other reasons). Cafe De Teau is where I had my first job so I'm always preferential to them. French Market Grille in both Surrey and West Augusta are both excellent restaurants. I've also heard really good things about Cadwallader's, but i've never been there. Finally, I know this a chain restaurant, but I think the new Bonefish Grill is the best chain restaurant in Augusta (even if it is in a strip mall).

Has anyone been to Gravity in North Augusta? I think its an after hours gay club run by the same guy who owns Coliseum but not sure.

Pillsbury, ive only been to Cadwallers once, and that was for take-out and it was years ago..but I can tell you it was good.

Im not too fond of Bonefish but Im not that big on fish/seafood anyhow.

Is Word of Mouth Cafe still open on Broad Street? That place used to be really fun on Sunday nights, along with Cafe Du Teau.

• 2 weeks later...

Although it's not a chain, Fatz Cafe is my favorite restaurant right now. I also like Tony Roma's too. As for local restaurants, I like Nacho Mama's, the Pizza Joint and also the Cafe 203 (??). I think that's what it's called. Also I ate at this restaurant called "The Place" that had some really great soul food.

PJA, I think you meant Although it is a chain. But I agree...Fatz is pretty good. There is one about 20 minutes away from me in Greenwood SC.

Where is Cafe 203 and "The Place"? I saw they moved the Summerville Grille to Surrey Center...how is it doing there? Didnt it used to be at the corner of Monte-Sano ave. and Central? They are doing some work on that building now so id imagine it will become another restaurant soon enough.

PJA, I think you meant Although it is a chain. But I agree...Fatz is pretty good. There is one about 20 minutes away from me in Greenwood SC.

Where is Cafe 203 and "The Place"? I saw they moved the Summerville Grille to Surrey Center...how is it doing there? Didnt it used to be at the corner of Monte-Sano ave. and Central? They are doing some work on that building now so id imagine it will become another restaurant soon enough.

LOL, that's what I meant. And I made a mistake on the other restaurant...it's Cafe 209 not 203 and they are on 10th street....it's hard to find parking though especiall during the lunch hour. "The Place" is on Peach Orchard Rd. It's in a building that used to be a chinese restaurant across from an old Winn Dixie's shopping center.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Y'all,

Mellow Mushroom is awesome anyway, and the Augusta location doesn't disappoint. Its vibe is appropriately downtown and funky (in an old gas station.) The other pizza place down Broad Street from there (I can't think of the name-but I

Is the Chinese Buffet you are referring to on Peach Orchard Road, one the right hand side as you are leaving town? My mother drives all the way from West Augusta to that little hole in the wall for a pretty awesome little selection of food. Its not really that unusual for a Chinese restaurant to be run by hispanics...kind of wierd though. Up in Gainesville Ga. there are lots of Hispanic restaurants and clubs that are Chinese owned!!

Also, mostly on the southside, are some really good Korean restaurants. I havent tried Arirang but there is one on Deans Bridge road that is excellent (except for the Korean prostitutes who hang around the lounge in the back), and another on Barton Chapel (I think) that was fair.

Do you remember what the chinese buffet was located next too? I love chinese food and I thought I had been to every chinese restaurant in Augusta (especially South Augusta), but I don't recall any run by Hispanics? I would love to try that out since you say it's your favorite.

See my note below in response to socaguy . . he's got it!

Is the Chinese Buffet you are referring to on Peach Orchard Road, one the right hand side as you are leaving town? My mother drives all the way from West Augusta to that little hole in the wall for a pretty awesome little selection of food. Its not really that unusual for a Chinese restaurant to be run by hispanics...kind of wierd though. Up in Gainesville Ga. there are lots of Hispanic restaurants and clubs that are Chinese owned!!

Also, mostly on the southside, are some really good Korean restaurants. I havent tried Arirang but there is one on Deans Bridge road that is excellent (except for the Korean prostitutes who hang around the lounge in the back), and another on Barton Chapel (I think) that was fair.

I believe this is it: Kong Wah Restaurant , 2621 Peach Orchard Rd. All I know is that I head out Hwy. 25 going toward Waynesboro and points south (which I used to use to get to Statesboro while living there), and then I can find it. It definitely IS on the right on the way out of town, so that's gotta be it. I believe it is on a corner . . It has a overwhelmingly HUGE selection on Sundays (the only day I've been there), and just delicious! I overeat everytime, but enjoy every minute of it. Just so I only do that as a rare treat, I'll be okay, right?

See my note below in response to socaguy . . he's got it!

I believe this is it: Kong Wah Restaurant , 2621 Peach Orchard Rd. All I know is that I head out Hwy. 25 going toward Waynesboro and points south (which I used to use to get to Statesboro while living there), and then I can find it. It definitely IS on the right on the way out of town, so that's gotta be it. I believe it is on a corner . . It has a overwhelmingly HUGE selection on Sundays (the only day I've been there), and just delicious! I overeat everytime, but enjoy every minute of it. Just so I only do that as a rare treat, I'll be okay, right?

That's got to be Kong Wah. I think it used to be a McDonald's or something a long time ago. One of my favorite Chinese resturants in town, along with Ming Wah.

• 3 months later...

I finally got by Wicked Wasabi last night and highly recommend it for anyone who loves sushi.

Is the Broad Street location its only one in Augusta?

I also here The Colesium will re-open in a week or two as a new Gay Club but I cannot remember what they said the name of it was....started with a "S".

^ Wicked Wasabi really is a great locally owned place. Was it crowded there? I certainly hope so. In the past when i've been, it wasn't as crowded as I thought it should've been. Great restaurant though.

Also, has anyone heard about Barbarito's in Daniel Village moving to Evans? Just curious. I heard someone on the radio mention it. That place was always crowded and it seems like a sorry way to treat your customer base.

From what I heard the Barbarito's is just opening a second location. The owner was on the radio a couple of weeks ago and that's what I understood him to say. He also mentioned opening a third location soon. I could be wrong though.

They have a location in Augusta Exchange plus the one in Daniel Village. But from what I heard (which is not reliable in the least bit) Barbarito's lease at DV ends next month and the guy didn't want to renew the lease because it's too expensive (plus someone mentioned safety concerns because DV has apparently been the setting of a couple of robberies over the last couple of months).

PJA, did you hear the owner when was on the Austin Rhodes show? (I don't agree with Austin Rhodes on most issues, but I can't help but listen to the guy's show.)

I also here The Colesium will re-open in a week or two as a new Gay Club but I cannot remember what they said the name of it was....started with a "S".

I think its Spectrum, but I might be wrong... New owner same location. I was hoping it'd be open already, but alas, I had to go to Argos when I was in town this weekend...

They have a location in Augusta Exchange plus the one in Daniel Village. But from what I heard (which is not reliable in the least bit) Barbarito's lease at DV ends next month and the guy didn't want to renew the lease because it's too expensive (plus someone mentioned safety concerns because DV has apparently been the setting of a couple of robberies over the last couple of months).

PJA, did you hear the owner when was on the Austin Rhodes show? (I don't agree with Austin Rhodes on most issues, but I can't help but listen to the guy's show.)

Yes, I heard him on Austin Rhodes but I can't remember exactly what he said. I was just under the impression that the Evans location was a totally new location. I could be wrong though.

Archived